Remember when.......

3 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Coming back rather late from the pub . ' Is my dinner hot ?'      ' Should be its at the back of the fire '.

I never had the back of the fire, but the dod for real

The Routemaster Bus.

We lived on the top of a hill and I remember the sound of the crash-gearbox as the bus crawled up the gradient at 5mph. During the summer, an open-top version would appear to transport tourists around the town to view the sites, the most popular being Brighton Olde Stiene to the Devil’s Dyke Hotel. The conductor was Captain of his ‘ship’…”All aboard…fares please…you kids get away from the entrance pole!...ding ding…”

Footballers when they scored a goal shook-hands. Still remember the public fuss when kissing and hugging instead made an appearance (started by the Italians).

Cop-killers had to be separated in prison to protect them from the anger of the general population.

The attitude was that cops were just doing their jobs and were not to be killed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

^ Ahem. Routemasters had either a fully or semi-automatic transmission. 

Ahem, my humble apology for not saying the crash sound was the sound made as the driver attempted the next gear via the quadrant. Thinking about it, it was more of a crunch sound and I accept my  onomatopoeia reference in this instance was wholly incorrect.

General sequence: 

The driver operates the gearchange by the selection of the gear required on a quadrant similar to an auto box selector but marked...... R (reverse) N (neutral) 1 2 3 4

The basic idea is FIRST you move the gear lever to the next desired gear, and THEN when you wish to change you operate the pedal.

To start off from stationary first (second in some cases) is selected and the change gear pedal depressed. As soon as the change gear pedal has been released the next gear can be selected.

With the engine speed increased -

The centrifugal clutch bites by means of bob weights which fly out and cause pressure plates to close on twin clutch plates.

A fluid flywheel achieves this by the transfer of fluid to the outside or periphery of the flywheel.

I can remember i was about 8 yrs old and we were out playing,when we saw a black man sweeping the street,we were amazed none of us had ever seen a black person except in films,we all went up to him and innocently asked if we could touch him and does it wash off. There was nothing racist ,it was just so amazing to actually see him ,he was very pleasant and talked to us nicely,i ran home and told my mum and dad.

Different times,

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

innocently asked if we could touch him and does it wash off. There was nothing racist ,

sure, and he felt the same way... not a tad bit of difference.. I know, you did not feel you were being racist... he just looked so dirty and surely it must wash off.... 

• Sad 2

54 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Nothing like that in the slightest,please dont try and make it racial,it was just in those days none of us had ever seen a black person,we were facinated ,just little kids ,then it was actually great to see him ,just like the movies, 

ok.. I get it... 

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I remember going on holiday , not Butlins but other hoilday camps

Only went to one holiday camp and that was Butlins in Pwllheli (pronounced 'Puth elly) but I wasn't overly excited.

Usually the family went to Rhyll every year because my uncle had a caravan there. It was only 2 hours away from home but it was ideal for a base for day trips. I remember the penny arcades and especially the 'shove-a-penny' machine, hoping that slyly bumping into it would cause the pennies on the ledge inside to drop down.

Oh My Gawd! those old pennies used to weigh my shorts or trousers down. Only needed a shillings worth of pennies and you'd feel them trying to pull your kecks down. Luckily I used to wear snake belts. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobandyson said:

Oh My Gawd! those old pennies used to weigh my shorts or trousers down. Only needed a shillings worth of pennies and you'd feel them trying to pull your kecks down. Luckily I used to wear snake belts. 

This thread is really stirring up the memories...☺️

Snake belts - were they elasticated with a silver figure of eight clasp?

Those pennies...they were huge (by comparison) some with dates from long ago....

81tCul7ptFL._AC_SX679_.jpg

4 hours ago, bobandyson said:

Usually the family went to Rhyll every year because my uncle had a caravan there.

Wow, exactly the same for me, my uncle Cyril had a caravan on Bardsleys caravan site.

Leave Rhyl going south, cross the railway bridge, turn left, a few caravan sites down there.

One of them had a penny arcade place, and juke box, first song i remember was Cliff Richards singing summer holidays.... Happy, happy days.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Wow, exactly the same for me, my uncle Cyril had a caravan on Bardsleys caravan site.

Leave Rhyl going south, cross the railway bridge, turn left, a few caravan sites down there.

One of them had a penny arcade place, and juke box, first song i remember was Cliff Richards singing summer holidays.... Happy, happy days.

First (and only ) juke box I ever saw my Dad put money in was when we were coming back in his car from a senior schools sports event I was in in Ipswich and he stopped at a pub just outside of Saxmundham. Always remember that and still picture it in my mind. He put on "My old Man's a Dustman" by Lonnie Donegan. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Would that be Pontins ?

I don't think so , most places were probably left over camps from WW2.

The best one I think was on the IoW . It was called The Dolphin Camp. Private beach down the steps and we even had afternoon tea with sandwiches and cakes. 1959 I think that one was. I think I still have some literature of one camp somewhere.

3 hours ago, faraday said:

They're the ones. The snake was the 'S' shaped part of the buckle and hooked into a ring. 

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

I can only recall the camps 'The Robin Hood' and 'The Golden Gate'. Can't remember which one my uncle had. I remember it had a clubhouse with a tv room and one particular night the whole building was surrounded by people trying to peek in through the windows. I think it was because the final episode of 'The Fugitive' was being shown.

I used to also go with my uncle and cousin (because he was an only child) so sometimes I got to go twice a year. My uncle later switched camps and moved his caravan to nearby Talacre, because he turned up one time and found that the owner had been renting it out without notifying him.

When I was in my late teens I rode through Rhyll on my Harley and was saddened to see the shops that once sold 'Kiss me Quick' hats, rubber rings, souvenir tat, postcards etc were closed or boarded up. The side-streets off the main road hardly had any B+B signs up. I guess at that time everyone was starting to go to Spain instead. And that was before computers, game consoles, microwaves, satellite tv, internet etc. So I've no idea what it's like now.

Edited by bobandyson
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

The best one I think was on the IoW . It was called The Dolphin Camp. Private beach down the steps and we even had afternoon tea with sandwiches and cakes. 1959 I think that one was. I think I still have some literature of one camp somewhere.

How about this info on Dolphin Camps......

"Dolphin was one of those camps and had first opened in 1938. It had been used by Canadian servicemen during the war and was soon given a partial Pontins makeover with some new single-storey apartment blocks built to the north. A large number of original wooden chalets were retained and were offered at a discounted rate ...but you had to make do with no shower or bath."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, faraday said:

Forgotten all about them (three colors?).....useless in the main....too thin so dug into you....or too elastic and never held your shorts up properly..........still would have died for one though at the time.

2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Mum and Dad took me to an IoW holiday camp in the 50's.

I fell in love with a beautiful little girl.

She was 5 and I was 6.

Broke my heart when we had to leave.

Can still remember her lovely little face.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JetsetBkk said:

Mum and Dad took me to an IoW holiday camp in the 50's.

I fell in love with a beautiful little girl.

She was 5 and I was 6.

Broke my heart when we had to leave.

Can still remember her lovely little face.

I had a similar experience on a Caravan holiday to Scotland. Katherine her name, long dark hair, big blue eyes, can still see her in my minds eye to this day ????

I wonder what became of her ?

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I had a similar experience on a Caravan holiday to Scotland. Katherine her name, long dark hair, big blue eyes, can still see her in my minds eye to this day ????

I wonder what became of her ?

She is possibly the Grandmother of the one of the Scottish  football players who lost to the Czechs.????

Edited by Excel
  • Haha 1