Remember when.......

9 hours ago, bobandyson said:

There was a Dutton&Foreshaw showroom only two blocks away from our house. But it was a car showroom with a repair garage at the rear. Above the showroom there was a snooker hall. Nothing like the halls of today that are carpeted and have good air ventilation and lighting. No, this snooker hall was so smoke-filled it resembled low lying clouds and the smell of tobacco smoke and spilled beer was horrible to me as a kid.

And yet quite often at tea-time, my mum would send me to go look for my dad who would pop-in there occasionally from work on his way home. So, mum would give me 3d to go and see if he's there and my dad would give me 6d to tell mum that he wasn't there.

I had a nice little earner for a while. That is, until one time I said to my mum 'Dad said he wasn't there.' ????

(Same guy/family I think....had their fingers in a few pies).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, faraday said:

I hang my head in shame, for I was once the wearer of a tank top. I wore it on a Saturday night, with a purple shirt & green flares.

Bless me father, for I have sinned.

Bet you needed a stick to beat the girls back......555

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, faraday said:

I hang my head in shame, for I was once the wearer of a tank top. I wore it on a Saturday night, with a purple shirt & green flares.

Bless me father, for I have sinned.

I had the "green flares" too ! But a Ben Sherman shirt, no tank top ????

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

Bit of an acquired taste......preferred Exhibition.....not even sure you can get Exhibition now?

I only drank it as I just copied the others ! Didnt have a clue what to do......had to be "one of the boys" but soon ditched it, never actually liked beer but you had to do it...5555

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Bit of an acquired taste......preferred Exhibition.....not even sure you can get Exhibition now?

By the time I was legally allowed in Pubs, it was "Skol" or "Stella" that became my drink of choice.

images (18) (14).jpeg

images (18) (15).jpeg

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I only drank it as I just copied the others ! Didnt have a clue what to do......had to be "one of the boys" but soon ditched it, never actually liked beer but you had to do it...5555

Bit like smoking cigars and drinking whisky.......you really have to stick at it for sometime....555

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, faraday said:

Looked a lot smarter than all those hippies, unwashed dreamers.

Loved my DM's, Cherry Red & I was constantly polishing them. For which I had the pish taken out of me!????????

me too loved a good polished pair of leather boots, still do it now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lodstewart said:

so much truth in what you say there, yes I remember the Trolly buses too, they had a long wooden pole on the side, that was to change over the line for the return turnround the conductor done that job. that was in the Uxbridge area that I saw that.

in the days when all police cars were wolsley 4/44's with a siver chrome bell just above the front bumper

I used to have a Wolsley 6/90 ex Met police car in the mid 1960s. I never got any insurance or MOT for it. I used to drive it around the back roads of Norfolk for fun. I don't remember what happened to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Austin A35.......15 plates pop riveted into the floor....you could see the road through the passenger footwell.

Got 10 people into it once, stopped by the police and told........... go steady.

there were no seatbelts then, and no breathalisers, you only had to be able to walk along a white line at the cops shop  55

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, lodstewart said:

there were no seatbelts then, and no breathalisers, you only had to be able to walk along a white line at the cops shop  55

I think this might have saved me........... it was a country lane with no white lines........555

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Anyone remember Pez ? Hard sweets that came in a tube , flip the cap at the top and one would pop out.  How do I remember these from the late '50s ?   Last week in Lotus I saw Pez.

Last night my 3yo grand-daughter had a pez. They're well known around the world and many people collect them as a hobby.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:37 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Kids having fun?

Unless fun is looking at a small screen all day, I doubt it.

I can remember when there was no tv, no internet, no social media, almost no crime, no pedophiles, and no kids killed themselves because they were being bullied "on line". Strange that despite kids going to school to learn stuff they don't seem to comprehend what the off button on a phone does.

There were always pedophiles.........it just wasn't reported.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Anyone remember Pez ? Hard sweets that came in a tube , flip the cap at the top and one would pop out.  How do I remember these from the late '50s ?   Last week in Lotus I saw Pez.

Yes, I had one that had Popeyes head. Refills were hard to find, though. Anyway much better cheap sweets available.

Black-jacks & fruit salad.

Those luminous pink shrimps.

Gob-stoppers.

Parma Violets.

Love hearts.

Opal fruits.

Tunes.

Edible cigarettes (banned during the anti-smoking crusade).

And of course rows and rows of sweets in jars put in a paper-bag with twisted corners.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, I had one that had Popeyes head. Refills were hard to find, though. Anyway much better cheap sweets available.

Gob-stoppers.

Parma Violets.

Love hearts.

Opal fruits.

Tunes.

And of course rows and rows of sweets in jars put in a paper-bag with twisted corners.

All attest to the fact I  have a  gob  full of  implants and crowns and the dentist drives a  Roller .............if  I was a  good  boy at the dentist I got a sweetie  !!! ironic now

7 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

All attest to the fact I  have a  gob  full of  implants and crowns and the dentist drives a  Roller .............if  I was a  good  boy at the dentist I got a sweetie  !!! ironic now

The same, but with no regrets. The teeth don't have to last much longer now.

26 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Gob-stoppers.

Parma Violets.

Love hearts.

Opal fruits.

Tunes.

Hey , I remember all those + 1 more . The sweet tobacco , came in pouches and looked like tobacco . bet that was banned many years ago. I had those pink shrimps on my hit list after swimming , loved 'em.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

There were always pedophiles.........it just wasn't reported.

True , I was about 10 and just before senior school.  Walking home and a chap stopped me in a copse near the main road and said he saw a wasp fly up my trouser leg. We wore shorts in 1957.   I had no intention of removing my shorts and went on my way home. I never mentioned to my mum as it all made no sense yet I still remember the event well.

At 10 years old there was still no knowledge of things to come.

• Thanks 1

yes,  all sweet shops had scales, loose sweets were sold usually 2 oz in a paper bag.

and were all still on ration until the fifties I think , I remember when sweets came off ration, but I cannot remember the date.

only allowed 2oz of sweets a week on ration. that would have made a lot of difference to the nations teeth , if they had stayed on.

anyone remember House Of Bewley shops ? tobacco of every kind sold loose , what a lovely smell that was .

On 6/9/2021 at 5:28 PM, Rampant Rabbit said:

Treacle  Tart the days when Mum could  cook anything, bread and butter pudding,  home made  marmalade  boiling away for what seemed  like  days, steam  pudding not the  krap  out of a  tin.

I still make treacle tart but can't find syrup so use honey . staye a bit soft after being in the oven for an hour but great with vanilla  icer teem.

IMGP1841.JPG

• Like 1