Remember when.......

50 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Spangles, kola Cubes, pineapple chunks, sweet cigarretes, sherbet dips, licorice, rainbow Kaily, love hearts, sherbet lemons.black jacks, fruit salad.

Park Drive sold as singles, otherwise Embassy or No.6 for the coupons.posh fags were Benson &Hedges gold pkt..lol

My mum used to buy Weights in a pkt of 5 and if I was lucky I could get some licorice sticks...........not the black sweet stuff but small 2 inch sticks which were wood of some description, or at least that was all that was left after the taste had gone!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

My mum used to buy Weights in a pkt of 5 and if I was lucky I could get some licorice sticks...........not the black sweet stuff but small 2 inch sticks which were wood of some description, or at least that was all that was left after the taste had gone!!

Must have been the raw liquorice root.......brownish rater than black I recall.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Screen Shot 2564-06-12 at 09.30.57.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lodstewart said:

I remember in the 60's a skinny fag called Domino came out sold only as fives in a paper pack with no lid 6d a pack

Yes I remember those Domino fags . The packs were the size of a domino with coresponding numbers on. I wonder if they were made for us kids , surely adults could afford a pack of 10. They were the days when " I am going outside for a fag " meant something different to today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Jeez.....finally met someone who also made bombs out of weedkiller and sugar, although it was extremely dangerous and quite a few people got blown up making them.

I used to use metal pipe sometimes a couple of inches in diameter, and once used them to blow up part of bridge over the river, near where I lived, and then foolishly experimented with the wooden goalposts which were laying on the ground and had been taken down for the end of the season, blowing them to pieces.

I believe I'm lucky to be alive because we found out that the mixture of weedkiller and sugar was highly unstable and could be set off by anything, even vibration, and there I was transporting about half a dozen of these pipe bombs, strapped across my petrol tank on my motorbike, heading into the woods to blow up some trees!!!!

Yes, like you, I would be out all day when I was younger and no one really bothered or worried about it, as long as you showed up in time for bed.

Your last para.   School and summer hols.  A bag of sandwiches then mum ' Be back before it gets dark '.   Climbing trees , swimming in an old quarry , putting pennies on the railway line and after finding them ; the size of saucers.  Now what is it kids do , play with their app things to talk to friends.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

There were always pedophiles.........it just wasn't reported.

14 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

True , I was about 10 and just before senior school.  Walking home and a chap stopped me in a copse near the main road and said he saw a wasp fly up my trouser leg. We wore shorts in 1957.   I had no intention of removing my shorts and went on my way home. I never mentioned to my mum as it all made no sense yet I still remember the event well.

At 10 years old there was still no knowledge of things to come.

To me, I don't recall ever hearing the name 'Paedophile'. Not even the word 'Pervert'. I only thought of molesters as 'dirty old men'.

I remember 3 incidences clearly. One time when I was around 8-10 yo, me and my mates were in the park and an old guy about 70-80 yo exposed himself and wanted one of us to touch 'it'.  We just joked around for a while and then went off somewhere.

Whenever I bunked off school I couldn't go home and had to be careful no-one saw me around town somewhere. So I'd often go to the ABC cinema. I was watching 'Emmanuelle' one time when an old guy in the next seat started squeezing my leg saying that the movie was a bit tame. I quickly moved back a few rows so I could keep an eye on him.

Another time in a market in a nearby town, I was drinking tea in a cafe and a guy started asking why I wasn't at school. It wasn't long before he asked if I wanted to go back to his place for more tea.

I often think that if those incidences are so vivid to me and are seemingly etched into my mind, even though nothing really major actually occurred, then it makes me think of what it must be like for poor victims who've been subjected to horrendous abuse or molestation. 

And to think that there could've been people like Myra Hindley and/or Ian Brady in close proximity to me during my youthful days. 

Edited by bobandyson
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Yes I remember those Domino fags . The packs were the size of a domino with coresponding numbers on. I wonder if they were made for us kids , surely adults could afford a pack of 10. They were the days when " I am going outside for a fag " meant something different to today.

it sure did toofar, everyone smoked everywhere, even on trains , upstairs on the bus, even in Hospital.

there was a big fire at one of the London undergound stations , I think it might have been Old st, Station,

started under the escalater a lighted dog end, no-one thought of the accumalation of debris beneath the staircase,

so it was never cleared. and once it started the fire and smoke just overwhelmed the whole station.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobandyson said:

To me, I don't recall ever hearing the name 'Paedophile'. Not even the word 'Pervert'. I only thought of molesters as 'dirty old men'.

I remember 3 incidences clearly. One time when I was around 8-10 yo, me and my mates were in the park and an old guy about 70-80 yo exposed himself and wanted one of us to touch 'it'.  We just joked around for a while and then went off somewhere.

Whenever I bunked off school I couldn't go home and had to be careful no-one saw me around town somewhere. So I'd often go to the ABC cinema. I was watching 'Emmanuelle' one time when an old guy in the next seat started squeezing my leg saying that the movie was a bit tame. I quickly moved back a few rows so I could keep an eye on him.

Another time in a market in a nearby town, I was drinking tea in a cafe and a guy started asking why I wasn't at school. It wasn't long before he asked if I wanted to go back to his place for more tea.

I often think that if those incidences are so vivid to me and are seemingly etched into my mind, even though nothing really major actually occurred, then it makes me think of what it must be like for poor victims who've been subjected to horrendous abuse or molestation. 

And to think that there could've been people like Myra Hindley and/or Ian Brady in close proximity to me during my youthful days. 

yup very scary to be in the area of those pair, I remember it well, when they were looking for those poor kids,

and Hindley's description with lepeopord pattern coat at the fairground.in the newspaper. was it around 1962 ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Your last para.   School and summer hols.  A bag of sandwiches then mum ' Be back before it gets dark '.   Climbing trees , swimming in an old quarry , putting pennies on the railway line and after finding them ; the size of saucers.  Now what is it kids do , play with their app things to talk to friends.

yes and we got up to some very dangerous stuff at times, one of the older boys in our area was mucking about down the railway,

and found a box of detonators, his surname was Lawrence, for the rest of his life known as hooky Lawrence , for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

what famous names do you remember from those far off days?

I remember names like Stanley Mathews, Billy Wright , Chris Chataway (4 minute mile), Fred Perry Tennis Star, (the original polo shirt)

Freddy Mills, Rocky Marciano , our Enery of course who  lived near me with his Brother George , also a Boxer but not Henrys standard.

Sam Bartram Goalkeeper, of the fims there was Doris Day, Joel Mcrea, Audy Murphy, the Craig and Bentley case where they hanged

poor young Craig and He was in custody when Bently shot the copper, but Bentley was under 18, so couldn't be hung.

Justice Goddard was the Judge who gave Craig the Death Penalty, what a disgusting injustice that was,

the public Hangman was Albert Pierpoint.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 3:35 AM, chickenslegs said:

Only at Christmas in our house.

First time my grandma bought them, they were used (uncooked) as a Christmas table decoration.

Grandma was very proud, none of the neighbors had ever seen them before. 

4 hours ago, lodstewart said:

I think it might have been Old st, Station,

started under the escalater a lighted dog end, no-one thought of the accumalation of debris beneath the staircase,

And it was debris and a discarded ciggie that started the Bradford FC fire in the stands. Captured live on tv with footage of an old guy engulfed in flames walking onto the pitch. A policeman trying put the flames out to trying to save the guy while else where on the pitch youngsters were jumping and waving in front of the cameras.

A distressed commentator crying into the mic "ohh the man. The poor, poor man."

A very, very sad day for football.

• Thanks 1

Back in the  70s bought our first house, a remodernised workers terr property ,in a posh town,but in the not so posh area cost4250 pounds ,when i looked up prices a year or so ago ,last time it changed hands it was close to half a million,(it is a posh area now) i know i woried a bit that the rates were 6 pounds a month on top,but we managed ok,even then there was no parking in the street after 8 am in the morning,but if you had not moved your car the warden knocked on your door to warn you,can you imagine them doing that these days? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thasoss said:

simpler days....sometimes i'd like the Doc's time machine and return to those times.

yes and we had the original blue coppers box, in those days all a copper had was a whistle and a truncheon,

and if he needed assistance he had to run to the nearest police box and ring up  ha ha

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lodstewart said:

yes and we had the original blue coppers box, in those days all a copper had was a whistle and a truncheon,

and if he needed assistance he had to run to the nearest police box and ring up  ha ha

Dixon of Dock Green.. wasn't that a great show.☺️

"Evenin' all"

Sadly now, in response to the mayhem, they have Tasers.

51 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Kids of today will never know the skill of choosing the right size of stone and throwing them at your mate’s bedroom window without breaking it to get their attention. 

so instead they adapt by throwing their last weeks now so oh! outdated iPhone, as a plastic brick... 

17 hours ago, lodstewart said:

what famous names do you remember from those far off days?

I remember names like Stanley Mathews, Billy Wright , Chris Chataway (4 minute mile), Fred Perry Tennis Star, (the original polo shirt)

Freddy Mills, Rocky Marciano , our Enery of course who  lived near me with his Brother George , also a Boxer but not Henrys standard.

Sam Bartram Goalkeeper, of the fims there was Doris Day, Joel Mcrea, Audy Murphy, the Craig and Bentley case where they hanged

poor young Craig and He was in custody when Bently shot the copper, but Bentley was under 18, so couldn't be hung.

Justice Goddard was the Judge who gave Craig the Death Penalty, what a disgusting injustice that was,

the public Hangman was Albert Pierpoint.

Bobby Moore (jewellry scandal) George Best. Stanley Matthews (there was a testimonial for him at Tranmere Rovers FC. After paying to get in I discovered it was the name of the groundsman.) Gordon Banks. 

Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. (seemed like almost every week one of their 'Hammer' films was on tv)Alf Garnett, All Our Yesterdays (documentary series about war).

• Like 1