Remember when.......

2 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Catapult  huh I had  BSA Scorpion Air  Pistol ( with silencer) most powerful handgun in the world......well thats what it seemed  like, had to hide it from my parents  though, later  used in Strangely  enough, The  Man with the Golden Gun filmed of course in Thailand!!  Must be  getting old it was  Octopussy.

images.jpg

The first one I bought was a .177 Gat. It actually shot the barrel out that projected the pellet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, lodstewart said:

older kids had Orange concentrate and Cod liver Oil, and a spoonful of malt.

Remember this well as my Mum never diluted the orange "juice" and I didn't like it one bit, come to that neither of the other two either!

Oh and my Dad had an allotment and grew swedes, and I hated the bloody things, along with turnips!

• Like 1

My brother hated green vegetables and I loved them. Spinach, brussel sprouts, cabbage...

We had a deal going for years. He took them off his plate and passed them onto me under the table and I put them on my plate and ate them.

Years later we told Mum and Dad about our little agreement, and they both replied "how bloody stupid do you thing we are? Of course we knew what was going on"

Edited by sipi
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, lagavulin1 said:

Excellent. Ham & Bacon came from the Coop wrapped in white paper not plastic. 

Love the "teacosy" ????

Used to be able to get Milk, Orange juice and Eggs delivered daily by the Milkman. He called every Friday night to get paid.

• Like 2

The swimming pool in town was the "Turkish Baths" so referred to locally as "going to the baths" . Spent many an hour or two after school or on Saturday.

Anyone else do that and then enjoy a cup of hot Oxo when you got out ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

I remember only crisps were Smiths plain with the little blue bag, then hey new flavour.... Cheese and onion, wow !!

Only tv was BBC, watch with mother... Bill/ Ben and the flower pot men, then the interlude.

Gawd, i am bloody old.????

Get back to Pogles  Wood  ya  geriatric.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, faraday said:

Then there was unsalted crisps with the little blue bag of salt in 'em.

Not the recent (?) revival, but the original from around 1962.

That was when we invented salt and vinegar before the crisp companies.

Open the blue paper and pour the salt over the crisps, then add vinegar. Eat them quickly or they got very soggy.

Followed by the next invention when money was tight. Crisp sarnies.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Excel said:

Is that what your Mum told your Dad he was doing in the house ? ????????   . On a serious note remember the milk machines that dispensed cartoons of cold milk ?

In A  triangular carton that would explode  all  over you as you tried to  open them!

How about vending machines for Cadburys  Dairy  Milk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What about things/games you played ? (Damn site more healthy than face stuck in a mobile these days)

Conkers

Kick the can

Clipping playing cards to the spokes on your bicycle wheels

Germans ! (Dodging car headlights)

Knock up Ginger

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Knock up Ginger

Hmm this  sounds dubious,  how  about two tin cans and a  bit  of string, Scalextric, Haunted  House board  game and those  spinning tops on a board  game...........then the  fad of "clackers" Go karts with pram wheels, make it  yourself,  I was posh  Dad bought me a Mamod Steam engine though suspect it was more for him! Black and white  TV

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

In A  triangular carton that would explode  all  over you as you tried to  open them!

How about vending machines for Cadburys  Dairy  Milk

Now they only worked half the time

Just now, Tropicalevo said:

Thanks for all of the wonderful memories people.

Great idea for a thread thank you CharlieH

Its  more of a TV generation game, 60's  70'sm.....Brut spash it  all  over worse  still Hai Karate  aftershave, sure my Dad really  appreciated Christmas

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

What about things/games you played ? (Damn site more healthy than face stuck in a mobile these days)

Conkers

Kick the can

Clipping playing cards to the spokes on your bicycle wheels

Germans ! (Dodging car headlights)

Knock up Ginger

It was knock down Ginger where I was born,Medway area of Kent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Hmm this  sounds dubious,  how  about two tin cans and a  bit  of string, Scalextric, Haunted  House board  game and those  spinning tops on a board  game...........then the  fad of "clackers" Go karts with pram wheels, make it  yourself,  I was posh  Dad bought me a Mamod Steam engine though suspect it was more for him! Black and white  TV

My Dad (yes I did know who he was......for awhile) worked for a company called "Rentaset" (tv rental company), he borrowed one of the first COLOUR tv's for us to watch the 1966 world cup !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1