Remember when.......

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

My Dad (yes I did know who he was......for awhile) worked for a company called "Rentaset" (tv rental company), he borrowed one of the first COLOUR tv's for us to watch the 1966 world cup !

Radio Rentals! the shops  that used to rent TV's and you'd  have people flocking round the shop window watching it for free.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

And  no  poncy skimmed  semi skimmed milk it was  pastuerised  full strength with cream  on top and fer a treat Gold  Top  on Sunday, delieverd  by an electric float and recycled glass  bottles

And the milkman worked like a man, dressed like a man because he was a man. and had no need to pretend otherwise. Plus no politically correct <deleted> either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Excel said:

And the milkman worked like a man, dressed like a man because he was a man. and had no need to pretend otherwise. Plus no politically correct <deleted> either.

Puffin on his  Woodbine as he went............dead at 50  ????

I did a  milk round as  a kid for a month for a  friend who broke  his  leg, hard  work early starts  down at the depot 4-30am

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Oh and my Dad had an allotment and grew swedes, and I hated the bloody things, along with turnips!

I like raw swede.

Out walking with Dad he would reach through the barbed wire of the farmer's field and pull one up, then peel and slice it for us to share - sweet and crunchy, like an apple.

"Don't tell your Mum", he'd say.

The local shopkeepers knew all their customers. At about 10 or 11 years old I could run errands, including buying cigarettes and beer from the off-licence - with a note from my Dad. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I remember when men were  men and women were  women and  there was  nothing inbetween, now there's  about 4000 sexes, comical/stupid. Where the best man for the job got it ( not person) where there were manhole  covers.

and my sister had a golliwog doll

• Haha 2

Talking jobs as a kid,

First earner was posting leaflets for local store around the estate age 10.

Next came paper round Monday -Friday and then Butchers Boy as a Saturday job, then back to Sunday morning papers, so heavy those Sunday papers ! Used to hate the "flats" up and down all those steps !

Just now, CharlieH said:

Talking jobs as a kid,

Next came paper round Monday -Friday and then Butchers Boy as a Saturday job, then back to Sunday morning papers, so heavy those Sunday papers ! Used to hate the "flats" up and down all those steps !

And  now  look at you!  oooops, never  mind.

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Talking jobs as a kid,

When I was 15  I worked as a Saturday lad at "Safeway"  supermarket,was  hard  work 5 am start had to  put the fresh bread  out on the shelves, then price  checking for the checkout  girls  , had to run round  the aisles trying to find the product, 5 am to 10pm at  night , Jesus when I think about it  now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Puffin on his  Woodbine as he went............dead at 50  ????

I did a  milk round as  a kid for a month for a  friend who broke  his  leg, hard  work early starts  down at the depot 4-30am

yes me too, a main source of  kids income that was

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Strange that the pc tossers for some reason decided they didn't like golliwog dolls yet they still liked those massive black dildos you see advertised everywhere. Makes you wonder what really make those sort of people tick doesn't it ?

and the black and white minstrel show on tv

• Like 1

I grew up in Bellingham south London, and I remember word going around our street, that there was a Black man

down at the railway station, and we all went to look at him and we were all facinated and talked to him a lot.

in fact my Gran said touch him for good luck  ha ha.

• Haha 2