Remember when.......

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

As a kid, I used to try and miss all of my mums meals (weekends only) because she was an absolutely dreadful cook, and nothing tasted of anything – – cabbage boiled until it was white, a small rolled up piece of fatty meat tied with string, cooked until it was almost inedible, toast which was burnt almost every time, then scraped, and the gravy which consisted of the greenish coloured water from the cabbage pan, mixed with the fat from the fatty meat, and that was gravy – – watery fat in fact.

I was happy when teatime came round because I could have some bread and jam, and that along with perhaps burnt toast in the morning, complemented by some apples, plums and whatever that were scrumped from nearby gardens and orchards, and my saviour was, believe it or not, school dinners, which I thought were heaven sent.

Choc pudding and pink Custard ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, xylophone said:

At the age of seven, along with my sister who was 11 at the time, we used to take a wooden two wheeled handcart from the house and push it into the town centre where there was a coke yard.

There it was filled to the brim, and sister and I used to push it back home, which was one hell of a struggle because it was almost all up hill, and it would have been about 3 km each way if not more. Looking back on it, it's a wonder we were able to manage it, being so young, and this was almost always in the winter, and often there was snow around.

But the fact that it kept our Aga stove going was reward enough, as well as the heat that it gave out which warmed the house.

Eeeeeee, lad, only 3km each way? You were lucky; our coal yard was in the next county and a 10-mile hike with nowt on our feet but old lino scraps tied on with (if grandma hadn’t eaten them) dead cat gut. We’d start out 2am in the morning to collect the coal which was packed in 56-pound plastic bags which were always split and wet and drag them back home in the dark and cold rain. No barrow for us – that was for the soft kids. We’d arrive back home looking like we’d just finished a 20-hour shift down t’pit. But we were happy – kids today don’t know they’re born, aye. ????

1 minute ago, Asquith Production said:

First holiday was Clarach bay round the corner from Aberystwyth

Unlce  had  an old  cottage by Ponterwyd remote as  hell, often went itno aberystwyth but Clarach bay was for the commoners and their mobile homes things, further on Borth beach great,  looked out for the fossilised tree  stumps at low  tide

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, billythehat said:

Eeeeeee, lad, only 3km each way? You were lucky; our coal yard was in the next county and a 10-mile hike with nowt on our feet but old lino scraps tied on with (if grandma hadn’t eaten them) dead cat gut. We’d start out 2am in the morning to collect the coal which was packed in 56-pound plastic bags which were always split and wet and drag them back home in the dark and cold rain. No barrow for us – that was for the soft kids. We’d arrive back home looking like we’d just finished a 20-hour shift down t’pit. But we were happy – kids today don’t know they’re born, aye. ????

Too  much MP for you m'lad

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Choc pudding and pink Custard ?

Treacle  Tart the days when Mum could  cook anything, bread and butter pudding,  home made  marmalade  boiling away for what seemed  like  days, steam  pudding not the  krap  out of a  tin.

3 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Unlce  had  an old  cottage by Ponterwyd remote as  hell, often went itno aberystwyth but Clarach bay was for the commoners and their mobile homes things, further on Borth beach great,  looked out for the fossilised tree  stumps at low  tide

"looked out for the fossilised tree  stumps at low  tide"

Strange place to have the Womans Institute !!   Do they exist these days selling homemade jam and cakes in the Church Halls ? or are they all Mosques now and just sell fruit wine ?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, lodstewart said:

I grew up in Bellingham south London, and I remember word going around our street, that there was a Black man

down at the railway station, and we all went to look at him and we were all facinated and talked to him a lot.

in fact my Gran said touch him for good luck  ha ha.

Did they think he was a "Chimney Sweep"? 

1913063182_Iwonderemoji.jpg.8a502cd0472d9ffaad40a9fc4dc1c6cd.jpg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

This  appears to be a very specific Brit thread, most wont understand a lot of  this.

Made to make yer  mouth water...see OPAL  FRUITS

I'm an advertisers  dream client, and  all because..the lady loves milk tray

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Almost Charlie, because poor old mum did have a knack of being able to ruin just about everything, and she made the cream filling for a Mary Baker sponge out of Dettol, diluted with water and mixed with the ingredients (the Dettol was left in a bowl on the sink, so she used it, and she had no sense of smell so had no idea what it was) and it tasted awful.

She also managed to fry an egg in washing-up liquid, and when I complained about the soapy taste she said it must have been something on the fork I was using, until I found that she had been "nicking" washing-up liquid from the place she worked and bringing it home in plain containers, and it looked just like cooking oil, so she used it to fry my egg.

The last one which was quite dangerous was when she placed a Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie, which was in a flat circular tin, in the oven, and forgot to remove the lid. 

Consequently when she took it out and put it on the draining board, I thought there was something terribly wrong with it but I wasn't quite sure what it was, and just as she was plunging the old-fashioned tin opener into it, I realised, but it was too late and the whole thing exploded, whizzing round a bit like a catherine wheel as the hot contents squirted out all over the kitchen.

Luckily we weren't badly burnt by it, but it took a long time to get the bits of meat and gravy off the ceiling!

Reminds me of my Mothers  exploding "pressure  cooker"  remember them ?all the rage in the early  70's

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

"looked out for the fossilised tree  stumps at low  tide"

Strange place to have the Womans Institute !!   Do they exist these days selling homemade jam and cakes in the Church Halls ? or are they all Mosques now and just sell fruit wine ?

They do exist see here 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

This  appears to be a very specific Brit thread, most wont understand a lot of  this.

Made to make yer  mouth water...see OPAL  FRUITS

and Murrey Mints...the too good to hurry mints

anyone remember going to  Saturday morning flicks at the local cinema ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lodstewart said:

and Murrey Mints...the too good to hurry mints

anyone remember going to  Saturday morning flicks at the local cinema ?

Cheaper  in the mornings so YES

Always  had  red  carpet with white  lipping  on them up the stiars.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Reminds me of my Mothers  exploding "pressure  cooker"  remember them ?all the rage in the early  70's

No never had one as I was catering for myself and working overseas some of those years, and poor old mum wouldn't have known what to do with one anyway!!

Just now, xylophone said:

No never had one as I was catering for myself and working overseas some of those years, and poor old mum wouldn't have known what to do with one anyway!!

Ours  smacked a hole  in the kitchen ceiling polystyrene tiles I remember.

• Haha 1