Remember when.......

4 minutes ago, lodstewart said:

just for kids in London, can't remember how much , but I think sixpence (in real money)

ours was the ABC cinema in Catford and we were known as the ABC minors  ha

Early 80's  saw  many of them demolished, a real  shame........multiplex whats that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I was a child of the fifties, television did not exist. Listened to radio soaps instead.

My mother made fruit mince tart, lemon meringue pies, pavlovas and coconut ice. Roast chicken was a Christmas luxury. Lamb was cheap, roast lamb and veggies every Sunday.

Had bantam chooks, walnut, apricot, pear and apple trees in the back yard. My mother would preserve them all with a Fowlers Vacola bottling kit. We'd pick mushrooms in the nearby fields in season.

I collected scrap copper, lead, aluminium and brass from the local tip, used the proceeds to buy my first pushbike. Caddied at Royal Melbourne until I was 18, compulsory retirement.

There's a lot of ways of life that have been buried under government regulations now.

Child of the early sixties  here, I used to go  out in winter with a shovel clearing peoples  drives for 50p in Winter when we often got  snow, couldnt wait for it to snow, initiative what we  had then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I was a child of the fifties, television did not exist. Listened to radio soaps instead.

My mother made fruit mince tart, lemon meringue pies, pavlovas and coconut ice. Roast chicken was a Christmas luxury. Lamb was cheap, roast lamb and veggies every Sunday.

Had bantam chooks, walnut, apricot, pear and apple trees in the back yard. My mother would preserve them all with a Fowlers Vacola bottling kit. We'd pick mushrooms in the nearby fields in season.

I collected scrap copper, lead, aluminium and brass from the local tip, used the proceeds to buy my first pushbike. Caddied at Royal Melbourne until I was 18, compulsory retirement.

There's a lot of ways of life that have been buried under government regulations now.

I was born in 1947 so would have been a child of the fifties and sixties I suppose??

So many changes took place in those times.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, adammike said:

.I still remember when you could get one sweet for a farthing,4 a penny.vimto down south.

Black Jacks and Mojo's 4 a 1p.

Hard liquorice stick (we called them cricket bats) and a 2oz bag of rainbow crystal kali lasted forever.

• Like 2

yes no tv until for us until 1952 just in time for the Coronation of Liz, but my grandma wouldn't go near it     ha ha

Just now, Rampant Rabbit said:

Child of the early sixties  here, I used to go  out in winter with a shovel clearing peoples  drives for 50p in Winter when we often got  snow, couldnt wait for it to snow, initiative what we  had then.

Not many places in Australia that have snow, although I hear what you are saying. I was taught if I wanted something, I had to earn it myself, no-one was going to give it to me.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lodstewart said:

yes no tv until for us until 1952 just in time for the Coronation of Liz, but my grandma wouldn't go near it     ha ha

Dad actually had an original real film of the coronation, dont know where it went, it was in colour I dont mean one he did but a  real movie reel copy. The times when Movies were "films"

• Like 2

Not many places in Australia that have snow, although I hear what you are saying. I was taught if I wanted something, I had to earn it myself, no-one was going to give it to me.

Same here, want some money...........do some work, wash Dads  car, help paint the house in summer, supermarket  saturday  boy, milk round,  paper  round, Cycling 10  miles through all weather for a  saturday job at 12 yrs  old etc etc

• Like 1

Just now, Excel said:

And oral sex was just something you talked about ????????

I remember once my Mum whilst  sitting eating dinner  that she cooked every night and we  all sat round the table eating with KNIVES and  FORKS  telling  me my Auntie  Irene had been into hospital and had her  clitoris  removed!!!  Deadly silence from my Dad........I  handt a  clue what she was on about, I wa s about 10-11 --1973 ish????

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Which leads me nicely  into being "careful"  with everything you  had as you had to work hard and save for it, now  kids  just smash stuff  up and dont give a ffff

1 minute ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I remember once my Mum whilst  sitting eating dinner  that she cooked every night and we  all sat round the table eating with KNIVES and  FORKS  telling  me my Auntie  Irene had been into hospital and had her  clitoris  removed!!!  Deadly silence from my Dad........I  handt a  clue what she was on about, I wa s about 10-11 --1973 ish????

I guess your Auntie Irene couldn't then come herself to tell you ? ????????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Which leads me nicely  into being "careful"  with everything you  had as you had to work hard and save for it, now  kids  just smash stuff  up and dont give a ffff

My Dad always told us to look after our things and we did, still do to this day. I still have my penis from years back ????

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Do you  keep it  in a  polished  wooden box  over the fireplace though?

Always carry it with me still but I have an imitation one with batteries to keep the wife amused when I would just rather drink a beer

• Haha 1