Remember when.......

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I have baked potatoes a couple of times a week here.

Can't say I've noticed they taste any different to the ones I ate in the UK.

Potatoes are Potatoes....but Jersey Royals are something else.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

No phone in our house until around 1964. When my younger brother was born a neighbour had to run about three-quarters of a mile to the phone box to call the midwife. Most kids were born at home.

Later we had a phone installed at home, but on a party line. You had to make sure nobody was using it before making a call. My parents had moved to the Midlands from the Scottish borders for work. Calling their parents meant a trunk call, put through manually by the operator. Cost a lot too.

I was talking about this with my Mum, back in the UK, just the other day. It was a video call lasting about 30 minutes with crystal clear pictures. She showed off her garden with all the new flowers and plants - all totally free. 

EDIT: The call was free, not the plants.:smile:

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

What about clothes.

Hipsters.

Flares.

I got my mum to buy me a cravat. I must've seen someone like Roger Moore or Peter Wyngard wearing one and thought it looked cool. I honestly can't remember.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

I guess it was inevitable that as technology advanced, humans would become more and more reliant on it, and therefore they just don't need to retain facts.

I used to be able to remember phone numbers of my work places, home, friends and some close relatives. Now, I've only just recently been able to memorise my own number. I've only had my phone for about 15 years. 

4 hours ago, bobandyson said:

I used to be able to remember phone numbers of my work places, home, friends and some close relatives. Now, I've only just recently been able to memorise my own number. I've only had my phone for about 15 years. 

I remember my first credit  card  number from 1981              5224003838288214 and I remember when banks had managers you could see who were sensible. I asked the bank manager at 18 if  I  could  borrow  800 pounds to buy a  motorbike, he said why do't  you get a secondhand one at half the price not  new. These days they'd want you to buy the most expensive one and borrow  the most.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lodstewart said:

yes it's good to remember back in those days, and it's funny how each reply from others,  triggers another memory of ones own.

I am wondering now , how many war babies are there among us ? we are becoming almost extinct soon.

I remember a few of my own schoolmates who's dads never came home, and the Mums working and kids being looked after by Neighbours, and none of us thought anything of it , just something they did.

Prefabs!

8 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Prefabs!

ha ha yes, and what about trams, certainly not many of us who remember trams in London area.

and the tram rails were laid on oak blocks soaked in tar, when they ripped up the tramways,

us kids had to bring back the tarry blocks, they burned lovely on the old fires.

all helping that famous London smog. so thick that the only thing Buses could see was open flames all along the kerbs,

some people wore smog masks.......now history repeats itself

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lodstewart said:

ha ha yes, and what about trams, certainly not many of us who remember trams in London area.

and the tram rails were laid on oak blocks soaked in tar, when they ripped up the tramways,

us kids had to bring back the tarry blocks, they burned lovely on the old fires.

all helping that famous London smog. so thick that the only thing Buses could see was open flames all along the kerbs,

some people wore smog masks.......now history repeats itself

I  missed the trams (Birmingham born in 63) but the roads where they ran had trees  put down the central reservation where they used to go.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

No phone in our house until around 1964. When my younger brother was born a neighbour had to run about three-quarters of a mile to the phone box to call the midwife. Most kids were born at home.

Later we had a phone installed at home, but on a party line. You had to make sure nobody was using it before making a call. My parents had moved to the Midlands from the Scottish borders for work. Calling their parents meant a trunk call, put through manually by the operator. Cost a lot too.

I was talking about this with my Mum, back in the UK, just the other day. It was a video call lasting about 30 minutes with crystal clear pictures. She showed off her garden with all the new flowers and plants - all totally free. 

EDIT: The call was free, not the plants.:smile:

we had our phone about 1963 and after about a year, post office telephones (as it was then) told us that we had to go

on a party line with someone else, I refused , saying that I didn't want to share my phone. They replied that I had no option,

I still refused , so they took my line away, no phone at all then. hard to believe today, but it is the truth.

So much to comment on...

I lived in Portsmouth until I was about 4, & can remember the trolley buses, & the scary electric flash that happened at the point of connection overhead.

Brussel sprouts, saw them in Villa - allegedly fresh, but they felt very soft. There were some frozen ones from Iceland - the shop ????, in the freezer cabinets.

Jersey Royals... last had some about 8 years ago, they were awesome. ????

The internet..young people & some of the trolls or whatever they are on here, use it to get 'knowledge' or an 'opinion'. Then spout off as if they are educated in a particular matter. 

I wish the 'net had been available when I was at school, instead of having to look at crummy old books that you had to trawl through to find an answer to a simple question.

This thread has been one of the most thought provoking & enjoyable ever. When I read through it, I think of my old school friends....where are they now, I wonder.

Used to have a good friend called Simon, when I was around 13/14/15. We'd play on the waste ground, try & smoke players no.6, & work out what girls were.

Now, so many are 'sparking up a blunt', getting the wrong ideas from GTA, & experimenting with other things that most probably they are too young to assimilate, & lead them into harmful things.

Phew...time for a cuppa.

Absolutely pishing down here.

Edited by faraday
Spellin'
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

What do you have on them? I quite like chilli con carne or a particularly spicy chicken vindaloo. In the UK I used to put bacon and cheddar cheese then whack them under the grill to toast the cheese, but here I can't find decent bacon or cheese.

Chilli ............ Thai version, no kidney beans ...........

Decent cheese .... Mainland Vintage, 265bht/500gm from Makro.

IMG_20201028_171223 (1).jpg

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Has anyone seen corned beef in Thailand? Always loved a corned beef sandwich with hot English mustard for lunch.

Don't forget the beetroot.. One of my favourites that combo and it's gotta be Colemans......!!

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Has anyone seen corned beef in Thailand? Always loved a corned beef sandwich with hot English mustard for lunch.

What about brining your own salt beef. You don't need saltpeter or nitrates, just drown in loadsa salt water for a few days followed by a few hours slow simmer. Always went down a storm with customers wanting a 'taste of back home'.....................................

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Thanks, although I doubt the shipment would arrive in Chiang Rai in good condition. Think I'll try making my own.

Noted the British version of corned beef, do they have tertiary courses on how to ruin good food in the UK?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

What about things/games you played ? (Damn site more healthy than face stuck in a mobile these days)

Conkers

Kick the can

Clipping playing cards to the spokes on your bicycle wheels

Germans ! (Dodging car headlights)

Knock up Ginger

Playing marbles at the side of the road, and a wee hole dug for a mosh.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Puffin on his  Woodbine as he went............dead at 50  ????

I did a  milk round as  a kid for a month for a  friend who broke  his  leg, hard  work early starts  down at the depot 4-30am

I used to do a paper round, then got the sack for sticking the papers in a puddle to deliver to people who never gave me a tip when I collected the paper money at the end of the week.

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Talking jobs as a kid,

First earner was posting leaflets for local store around the estate age 10.

Next came paper round Monday -Friday and then Butchers Boy as a Saturday job, then back to Sunday morning papers, so heavy those Sunday papers ! Used to hate the "flats" up and down all those steps !

My paper round didn't have any flats, it was all terraced houses. Used to hate the big "Hamilton Advertiser" on a Friday evening.