Remember when.......

13 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Making tie  dye  T  shirts at Junior  school using marbles.

Putting the new Wranglers in a bowl of bleach to get that 'washed' look, at least for a couple of days before they disintegrated and you got a good hiding.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

My Dad was a TV engineer and we got our first color TV in 1955.

For some reason the neighbours became very friendly.

do you mean 65 ? I am sure there was no colour tv in the uk in 1955 was there ? , crumbs we had only just got 2 channels

and all B&W

Food tasted so much nicer. Boiled ham wasn't watery and tasteless, cheese didn't have the texture of plastic, Jersey Royal new potatoes were so much better than other spuds and had a distinct taste to them.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, champers said:

Food tasted so much nicer. Boiled ham wasn't watery and tasteless, cheese didn't have the texture of plastic, Jersey Royal new potatoes were so much better than other spuds and had a distinct taste to them.

I disagree,

Food is just as good now.

And I was bored a lot of the time back then.

Much more to do now, movies, books, games, music all available for the price of an internet connection.

I certainly wouldn't want to go back.

Edited by BritManToo

Angel Delight

Frozen orange juice concentrate from Israel

Wagon Wheels

Cars without head restraints and passenger door mirrors

Dunlop Green Flash

Wrangler jeans

Slide rules for maths

'Property of HMG' toilet rolls

Can't say I miss any of those. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am one. Born 23 May 1944. Still tottering along.

I remember in winter the frost on the inside of the windows and sleeping with my clothes inside the bed to keep warm for the morning.

My Mum and Dad had no electricity, gas lighting and cooker. I paid for electricity to be put in during 1964 but Mum would never have a fridge or a TV.

Open fires in the living room and the 2 bedrooms and a coke stove in the kitchen with a back boiler for hot water on Sundays for a bath. Being the youngest I was always last.

yes your just in, I was born June 43 and evecuated up to Norfolk with mother and sister, babies in arms stayed with mums.

while you of course were born just two weeks before the assault on Normandy.......D day,

and here we are, talking about it on a Thai board, 55 it's a funny old world bill ennit

• Like 1

Back in those days, children used to play outside on their bikes, swim in rivers, roam miles away from home as long as they were back home in time for their "tea". And you actually had to learn things and remember them because there wasn't a little computer in your pocket that told you everything. If you wanted to look something up, you had to go to a library. If you wanted to meet your friend in the town, you had to agree on a time and place, if they were late or couldn't make it, there was no way to contact you.

Now, you've got social media which is like a cancer, telling children that they need to look and behave a certain way, and teachers are no longer teaching facts, they are indoctrinating children and telling them that there are a hundred genders and other rubbish.

And people weren't so entitled, they accepted their lot in life and just got on with it. I grew up in the 80's, when cars would break down once a month, but used to spend most of my free time fishing miles from home after school, not playing on the latest Xbox or Playstation. The Commodore 64 was a revelation for me.

It was a great time. I can't help but think that with the advance of technology, people have become more stupid because they don't actually need to know anything any more, they can just whip out their phone and Google it. I guess it was inevitable that as technology advanced, humans would become more and more reliant on it, and therefore they just don't need to retain facts.

Now, if you observe a family in a restaurant in the UK, every single family member is tapping away on their phone rather than talking about their day. It's quite sad.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, champers said:

I stopped my relations bringing stuff here that i fancied, one year they

brought some Cox's orange pippins,  Victoria Plums, and Conference

pears , they tasted nothing like i remember when i was a lad, I was

going to ask them next time to bring some Jersey Royals, but i thought

no, if they didn't taste the same i would rather just have the memories,

plate of Jersey Royals with butter , delicious, I have not been back to UK

for 30 odd years, anyone , do they taste as good ?

regards worgeordie 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

I stopped my relations bringing stuff here that i fancied, one year they

brought some Cox's orange pippins,  Victoria Plums, and Conference

pears , they tasted nothing like i remember when i was a lad, I was

going to ask them next time to bring some Jersey Royals, but i thought

no, if they didn't taste the same i would rather just have the memories,

plate of Jersey Royals with butter , delicious, I have not been back to UK

regards worgeordie 

Jersey Royals still taste great. A few boiled with a slice of grilled gammon from the butchers and some peas and carrots with a blob of Colman's mustard, it doesn't get any better than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, worgeordie said:

delicious, I have not been back to UK

I have baked potatoes a couple of times a week here.

Can't say I've noticed they taste any different to the ones I ate in the UK.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I have baked potatoes a couple of times a week here.

Can't say I've noticed they taste any different to the ones I ate in the UK.

What do you have on them? I quite like chilli con carne or a particularly spicy chicken vindaloo. In the UK I used to put bacon and cheddar cheese then whack them under the grill to toast the cheese, but here I can't find decent bacon or cheese.

That cave-aged cheddar from Wookey Hole was amazing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, oobar said:

God, I miss brussels sprouts.  Anybody ever seen them in Thailand.  I haven't.

I generally hate most vegetables that smell like farts when they're being cooked, but I do like brussel sprouts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lodstewart said:

yes your just in, I was born June 43 and evecuated up to Norfolk with mother and sister, babies in arms stayed with mums.

while you of course were born just two weeks before the assault on Normandy.......D day,

and here we are, talking about it on a Thai board, 55 it's a funny old world bill ennit

It is that. Some people of our generation became mobile and went on holidays abroad, fewer worked abroad (other than the armed forces), but most stayed at home in the same old job and bought their way up the housing market.

Far less than 1% moved abroad to live and make a new life as you and I and many others on TVF did.

There are a few things I miss about the old days but TBH I am so glad that I live here.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, oobar said:

God, I miss brussels sprouts.  Anybody ever seen them in Thailand.  I haven't.

I hated the damn things. My first MIL used to boil vegetables to death after dumping loads of salt in the water.

Her brussels sprouts came out the consistency of mushy peas. Most of the rest of her cooking was OK apart from the veggies.

Edited by billd766
Bad spelling
  • Haha 1