Who's going to take responsibility for potential Covid spread if schools reopen, asks Thai media

webfact

1pm1.jpg

File photo

In an opinion piece Thai media Daily News posed a question:

Who is going to take responsibility if opening schools results in a further spread of Covid-19?

They said that the government and CCSA need to listen to the voices of the people.

But exactly what those views are is anyone's guess. 

The schools were due to open for Semester 1 mid-May but the third wave of the pandemic soon put paid to that with June 1st mooted.

With the pandemic still raging and the vaccine rollout shambolic and slow this was put back further to June 14th especially for larger schools.

This despite attempts to introduce 44 protocols as part of "Thai Stop Covid Plus" an initiative that teachers, parents and pupils have no understanding of. 

Now schools out of the directive reach of the Education Ministry or who have ability to decide their own fate are deciding not to reopen until at least the beginning of next month. 

This has already been announced in all schools in Chonburi and private ones in the Hua Hin area. Schools in Bangkok are expected to follow suit.

The situation is further exacerbated by different color zones in different areas of the country. Some areas are still experiencing clusters of infection and fear is rife.

Others never have or have few worries and just want to see a return to normal. 

There is utter confusion. 

The vaccination program has reached some but by no means all teachers and admin staff. It certainly has not reached parents who are in the younger age groups than those already prioritized.

And no one is vaccinating children.

Many parents are desperate for their children to get back to school.

While others are still petrified they will bring Covid-19 home from class. 

Teachers don't know what to do and are struggling in a cyber world of online learning they have never been properly prepared for.

And it appears that the government have priorities elsewhere. Their rhetoric is to get children back learning, but critics say they care more about money and trying to woo tourists than concentrate on the youth of the nation. 

The education ministry, under a new leader after the last one was barred from government on sedition charges, is providing scant leadership and seems totally out of its depth and clueless. 

The result is a kind of limbo.

Where few know what is going to happen in the coming weeks, few understand the measures and many are just mulling unpleasant scenarios while being given conflicting information. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-11

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Actually I thought the period between 1st and second doses should be much less in the case of Sinovac. Two to four weeks I read with better results on the latter.

You may well be correct.

There is so much stuff flying around, that sometimes its difficult to remember it all.

It still dos not alter the fact that the Teachers will not be immunized, before 1 st July

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

And no one is vaccinating children.

That is big issue now since they do not have any vaccines that can be used for those under 18.

Now they are getting the Pfizer vaccine that can be used for 12 years and up (the USA is doing it). When they get some it should be dedicated for children.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, poosmate said:

Hua Hin international school opens 14th June.....at last!

Our school at Bangkok already informed postpone till later date. Was looking forward to my freedom on 14th but again fake hope. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is big issue now since they do not have any vaccines that can be used for those under 18.

Now they are getting the Pfizer vaccine that can be used for 12 years and up (the USA is doing it). When they get some it should be dedicated for children.

Totally disagree kids should be last in the queue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

Just one confirmed case in one school... would be terrible for the whole school, the management, then the local authorities, then the governor.

Thanks for the info. It's a tricky one.

I was driving everyday bang Na past big school Soi 105. I couldn't believe it. The number of students and parents picking them up. Madhouse.

Driving around up country notice so many kids cramped into those small school buses.

For once I will cut gov some slack. Difficult call as to when they open up the schools in some areas especially Bangkok.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Current thread. Term commence June 14.

My son is in M5 at Khlong Lan school. In 2020 when this first started he had the normal school holiday in March/April which got extended several times and he finally went back after 3 months off school.

This year is getting to be the same. He was due back at the end of April, then 1st May, then the end of May, then 14th of June, and the latest is 28th June.

Kamphaeng Phet province has a low covid rate, so the vaccines for the province have gone elsewhere. No vaccines for the school staff means the school opening is put back yet again.

Blind Freddie's dog could do better than this lot.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Who is going to take responsibility if opening schools results in a further spread of Covid-19?

This is a simple one, the infected will be blamed for any infections.

They've done it before and will do it again. Last year the health minister chastised medical staff for becoming infected with COVID while treating patients.

The patient is to blame for everything, TIT!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, law ling said:

It must be becoming increasingly difficult for the government (who are all vaccinated) to understand the anxieties of the rest of us who are mostly unvaccinated.

Do you really think many of them really care - - I'm OK Jack. 

• Thanks 2

The origin country should ,China ! imop

They should be bending over backwards to accommodate any country requests for  financial and humanitarian  assistance ,during the pandemic !

God knows Gov't's have suffered every aspect of financial and social  burdens that has been caused by  that Gov't 

Edited by riclag
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Who's going to take responsibility for the lost hours of proper schooling and disruption caused to working parents' lives? 

Just get on and open the schools!

Do you honestly think that the Gov. and elites give a s*** if the serfs children get an education?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The numbnuts running the education ministry don't have a clue, the numbnuts running the country don't have a clue, what hope is there for this country ? The schools cannot reopen before every teacher has had 2 jabs and a suitable time after the 2nd jab has elapsed to attain maximum protection has been achieved.

My Mrs brother & his wife have not had their first jab yet, so it's okay for them to go back into the classroom is it ? They may not have the virus.............yet, but it's quite possible for them to contract it from snotty nosed brat in Chantaburi, my friend ( a school teacher ) had his 1st jab - AstraZeneca, on 9th of this month 2 days ago, is he protected ?? I very much doubt it, this whole thing is a shambles, a clusterf**k of the highest magnitude.

If I had kids here, thank God I don't, I wouldn't be sending them back to school.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

The numbnuts running the education ministry don't have a clue, the numbnuts running the country don't have a clue, what hope is there for this country ? The schools cannot reopen before every teacher has had 2 jabs and a suitable time after the 2nd jab has elapsed to attain maximum protection has been achieved.

My Mrs brother & his wife have not had their first jab yet, so it's okay for them to go back into the classroom is it ? They may not have the virus.............yet, but it's quite possible for them to contract it from snotty nosed brat in Chantaburi, my friend ( a school teacher ) had his 1st jab - AstraZeneca, on 9th of this month 2 days ago, is he protected ?? I very much doubt it, this whole thing is a shambles, a clusterf**k of the highest magnitude.

If I had kids here, thank God I don't, I wouldn't be sending them back to school.

Unfortunately I don't have a choice!  They just told us my son's school will be closed for the rest of the term.  ????

• Like 1