BBC World News

Gandtee

You are using Filmon?

really?

seriously mate, that is just a rubbish way to watch.

get yourself a VPNUK, (dedicated server), download the I player, and watch.

Or.......watch on You Tube.

Filmon........man........so surprised anyone still uses this.

• Like 2

Or use YouTube, but there will be a time delay and if you rely on third-party posts, you never know what you’re missing.

VPN gets you into same position as someone located in UK, US, Europe, Oz wherever.

VPN also usually gets you around ‘geo-locking’ … a finer form of geo-blocking, where the purveyor or copyright holder of (usually) video content may choose not to enable playing in particular countries

eg Winnie The Pooh in China is red-flagged ???????? 

Edited by BananaGuy
  • Like 1

Just now, BananaGuy said:

Ah you coulda saved a lot of typing if you’d mentioned access to kids earlier.

Hand over your credit card and 30 minutes later they’ll have you set up with VPN + Bittorent and access to more downloaded material you can hope to get through in your expected lifespan.

Credit card? As has been pointed out, I'm one of the old farts! If the kids want to treat me, OK. ????

1 hour ago, BananaGuy said:

More gently, a reliable and universal path to your viewing and listening pleasure …

If you use/pay for Filmon   you don't need to faf about with VPN's and the continual cat and mouse game  of the service providers banning your VPN IP addressees  + Filmon has a lot more than just the BBC stuff  all presented in a "easy to use" one interface for everything...not multiple Iplayers,  Itv players  CH4 players  etc etc

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Credit card? As has been pointed out, I'm one of the old farts! If the kids want to treat me, OK. ????

This is the last time I bother you, I promise. What does this mean?1674017322_UntitledDomaine.thumb.png.d159236c501cc58919d2a81f77f52260.png

5 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

What does this mean?

It means the web site  "livenewsmag"  is not able to  connect to the BBC stream/source  that it was connecting to before,   nothing to do with you

maybe Filmon are having similar problems not being able to connect to the BBC stream at the moment ?

1 hour ago, johng said:

It means the web site  "livenewsmag"  is not able to  connect to the BBC stream/source  that it was connecting to before,   nothing to do with you

maybe Filmon are having similar problems not being able to connect to the BBC stream at the moment ?

Thankyou. That's the answer I was hoping for.'nothing to do with me.'????

5 hours ago, BananaGuy said:

Hope you feel like a totally shamed decrepit old boomer ???? now Gandtee.

More gently, a reliable and universal path to your viewing and listening pleasure …

(1) invest in a VPN service for your internet-connected device.
Unless money is a real issue, avoid ‘free’ VPN providers, they are only free because they on-sell your data.  

(2) with the VPN installed, change your location to the target country and register if required (often not - they only ‘geo-check’ what they think is now your country) 
BBC sign-up for example only requires a UK server and (any valid) postcode.

(3) Any devices you ‘hotspot’ to your internet device will mimic it’s fake VPN address, so (1) only really needs to be done once.

(4) most media sources allow credentials to be stored automatically in say, Windows cookies or Google passwords, so (2) is often a one-time only thing as well. 

There are many good cheap paid VPNs … I use Private Internet Access (PIA) which, last year anyway, worked fine in Thailand and has plenty of servers globally.

Can be installed up to 10 devices if you want and I guarantee PIA does not generate any more ‘spam’ mail after installation than you were getting before.

First stop for researching any of this stuff could be CNET … they regularly review and rate VPN services. 

Last resort … ask for advice on a free chat site partially-populated by fat angry people.

Good luck and may I also recommend NPR One is a news source. Don’t believe any geo-stuff is required to access either.

A nice reply, and nice shaming of the idiot who was less than polite. 

I'd just mention that not all vpns are good for watching BBC who regularly block IP blocks known to have vpn servers using them. Check before buying a vpn subscription. For the record I very often have huge trouble watching Channel 4 streaming, no matter what vpn I use. 

Edited by Speedhump
Speeling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

A nice reply, and nice shaming of the idiot who was less than polite. 

I'd just mention that not all vpns are good for watching BBC who regularly block IP blocks known to have vpn servers using them. Check before buying a vpn subscription. For the record I very often have huge trouble watching Channel 4 streaming, no matter what vpn I use. 

Good point. I use Cyberghost which works very well - apart from ITV. The ITV hub knows it's being accessed from abroad despite the VPN

17 minutes ago, Doowat said:

Good point. I use Cyberghost which works very well - apart from ITV. The ITV hub knows it's being accessed from abroad despite the VPN

It's weird because ITV Hub can't possible know every UK IP block used by vpn providers and know the ranges to reject. And I suppose it only measures ping/latency as far as the VPN server? A browser with a clear history should be able to get through. 

6 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

ITV Hub can't possible know every UK IP block used by vpn providers and know the ranges to reject.

I read they can detect the timezone  of the device as well  so try setting it to GMT /London

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johng said:

I read they can detect the timezone  of the device as well  so try setting it to GMT /London

Always has been on UK time. Can't set location on a Firestick as it only allows numeric zip codes. ????My vpn provider helping me. Checked and fixed DNS leakage which was occurring via Google. Now I connect but have to be patient as programmes often fail to start until a few tries. PersonalVPN (Witopa). Not cheap but first class and great tech support. 

5 hours ago, Doowat said:

My vpn provider helping me. Checked and fixed DNS leakage which was occurring via Google. Now I connect and can watch but have to be patient as programmes often fail to start until a few tries.