The true cost of paradise.

swissie

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

if you're white and able-bodied, trying to find a graduate job in the UK is almost impossible. 

IMO that's what is wrong with people nowadays. Get a proper job like plumbing or electrical or engineering apprenticeship, and be set for life. BUT, uni grads think they deserve an office job. IMO they have only themselves to blame if they won't take a job that doesn't pay large from day one.

When I started out, I worked on a farm for a pittance and worked my way up with a mechanical apprenticeship later. Most people started out with a low level job.

Never even gave uni a second thought and certainly never regretted wasting 3 years in one.

BTW, the US is desperate for workers and needs thousands. Wonder why the UK is different?

• Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

I'm OK with divorced women ...... as long as they don't bring their kids on the date.

LOL. They are only out to get a free baby sitter, and soon as catch one decide they don't like sex any more.

Been there got the T shirt.

Even if I could I'd never touch a woman with kids ever again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bill Poster said:

High Blood pressure and over weight , did I really say that ???? - Bill 

Sorry, it was "cholesterol numbers a little high" during a check when you felt "nauseous" for some unknown reason. No triglycerides numbers given, but actually the Tri/HDL ratio would be interesting. And at your age if you calculate your BMI at "five feet 8 inches tall and currently weigh 76 Kg" you'll find it falls into the lower category of overweight.

Edited by BigStar

On 6/20/2021 at 5:37 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm OK with divorced women ...... as long as they don't bring their kids on the date.

Mothers always take their children with them, even if only mentally, and so they should if they are going to have them. The only answer to a child polluted mind is to avoid any woman that has any, IMO. IMO solo mothers are always on the lookout for some sucker to help pay for them. Been there, learned the lesson and never again.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Mothers always take their children with them, even if only mentally, and so they should if they are going to have them. The only answer to a child polluted mind is to avoid any woman that has any, IMO. IMO solo mothers are always on the lookout for some sucker to help pay for them. Been there, learned the lesson and never again.

On the other hand,

Single moms will put out way further in the sexual Olympics to secure a man than virgins.

You can give them a few practise runs without actually becoming their security.

Giving a woman all your money is never a good idea.

They have nothing left to work for.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

On the other hand,

Single moms will put out way further in the sexual Olympics to secure a man than virgins.

You can give them a few practise runs without actually becoming their security.

Never had any desire to do a virgin. The non virgins I went with in Thailand were all way more fun than the mother I got trapped by, even the useless ones, which says much about her and how stupid I was thinking she was worth it.

On 6/17/2021 at 10:20 PM, The Cipher said:

Health insurance costs $500/mth? Jeez that's rough. Getting old is the worst. ????

Quite true in my opinion, but for an oldie like me (74 this year) that is not too far off what I pay per month for my health insurance with Aetna, and it's only for 1 million baht coverage!

I have looked around, but there are some "hooks" in this policy which keep me at Aetna; one being that because I signed up at age 60, I get coverage until the day I die (in other words it doesn't cease at a certain age) and the other being that I did have some pre-existing conditions inasmuch as I had a TURP a few years ago, however if I have had no repercussions as a result of this operation for 5 years (I think it is), then I am covered again, so that's a bonus.

Of course the major thing is that at my age now, very few health insurance companies will take me on even if I wanted to change, so I'm pretty well stymied in that regard, so I'll soldier on and if anything major happens I'm pretty sure I can pay the difference out of my own pocket.

Not sure about this Covid–19 insurance and whether I need to take out another insurance policy just for that, and nobody seems to know the exact answer to it (I am an OA retiree).

I suppose if something really serious happened, then I might just be able to get myself back to New Zealand to get some treatment.

Quite frankly anybody retiring, in Thailand or anywhere else, without medical insurance is an irresponsible fool. The older one gets, the more one needs medical attention and I think if I had no insurance, I would get sick from worrying.  I know, medical insurance is expensive and difficult to get when one gets over 65, and therefore long before retiring, when planning to do so, one should make arrangement to get an overseas insurance, which is possible (examples of possible insurers  are Cigna,  BUPA, AXA, AIU and others).

If I were in a position of authority in Thailand, I would not allow anyone to get a retirement permit without proof of a non-cancellable medical insurance. I know some would consider my views as anti expatriates, I think it is in the interest of the retirees to make sure they have the required cover.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, caughtintheact said:

If someone can afford all the costs of health care without insurance, would you make them an exception and not call them names?

I wouldn't make them an exception, because that person can decide what they spend their money on, and maybe won't have money in the bank when/if they need to pay high hospital bills.

Actually, I'd go further and say that a lifetime private medical insurance policy should be a requirement for extension or issue of any long-term visa, (so that means all visas except VoA and tourist visas - and these should have travel insurance policies).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

On 6/17/2021 at 10:24 PM, wasabi said:

I agree you should not live in Thailand without health insurance, but covering both my wife and I with high deductible insurance is less than $100 a month for us. This is US Based Blue Cross insurance and it does work in Thailand for emergencies.

the U.S. should make Medicare applicable here in Thailand.  shameful.  it would save the U.S. taxpayers millions.  btw, Medicare is not free as most non-U.S. expats sometimes think.

i see many expats here of a certain age who have succumbed unhealthy lifestyle. diet and exercise is of paramount importance as we age.  hope to still be surfing into my seventies.  but its comes down to a personal choice.

2 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

Quite frankly anybody retiring, in Thailand or anywhere else, without medical insurance is an irresponsible fool.

Most of the world lives without medical insurance (or any other insurance).

It's a scam perpetrated on white folk by large corporations, and governments.

Don't be part of the scam, die when your time is up, leave your assets to your children.

In any civilised world, health care would be free to all.

(of course it shouldn't be available to those better off dead, but free termination to all those beyond chance of recovery)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

A friend of mine had half his stomach removed because of cancer. Cost him about 2 million baht.

So how much should the average irresponsible foolish uninsured expat have in the bank for health emergencies?

• Sad 1

On 6/17/2021 at 10:48 PM, josthomz said:

Well, yes obviously the timing is completely different. But my point still stands, we often take decisions because we fool ourselves into thinking that we will never be in a certain situation and/or downplaying it. 

When they are healthy, many retires couldn't care less about insurance because they don't picture themselves being sick, and if they do they bravely think "Oh, well that's it then. I've lived a great life." 

But when disease comes their mindset changes drastically. 

BUT it's also worth mentioning that the cost of insurance in Thailand for those over 65 is extremely prohibitive, so that also play a role in it.

However if a person doesn't have enough money to self insure (cover the costs of any disease that may come with their own funds) it may pay to spend half of your pension in insurance, and visit hookers less often...

Stop preaching. We are not as dumb as you seem to think.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

A friend of mine had half his stomach removed because of cancer. Cost him about 2 million baht.

So how much should the average irresponsible foolish uninsured expat have in the bank for health emergencies?

I'd suggest about the same amount for brain surgery.

5 minutes ago, AverageBloke said:

You do realise your argument is based on how someone else chooses to manage their finances.                                      There's plenty of people with enough common sense to put a substantial amount of money away for a rainy day. 

Exactly. However, the wailing Greek chorus wants to fit everyone to their Procrustean bed of preconceptions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

Marry a Thai government /  ex-government employee and you will be covered by her government health insurance.

Have done that. But now government have limit many sickness what they not cover anymore!

But good thing is that it cover her mom,dad and kid healt issues also. + pay all kid school payment for goverment officer. Also free dentist and (professional) massage in hospital.

But you need to be government officer, normal worker not get anything free.

Edited by 2 is 1

On 6/17/2021 at 6:07 PM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Once that cover runs out you would return to home country for Free National Health

Exactly! That is in my mind already. However, I save every month on a special account 350 Euro. Just for emercencies not worth to take a flight home. So it's roughly 150.000 Baht/year. Even this will cover most operation except final cancer. 

But this case will be done in EU. 

2 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

If he comes from the uk, enough to get him a flight home.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

Actually, I'd go further and say that a lifetime private medical insurance policy should be a requirement for extension or issue of any long-term visa, (so that means all visas except VoA and tourist visas - and these should have travel insurance policies).

If insurance becomes mandatory, then it should be mandatory for insurance companies to insure anyone who needs coverage. No more cherry picking with exclusions for preexisting conditions etc.

That might not work very well with private insurance companies. In countries that have public health insurance schemes, on the other hand, it's feasible.