The true cost of paradise.

swissie

15 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:
6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I was running in the mountains 3 days a week, and cycling 20km the other days.

At age 62/63 BPH and probably cancer got me, so I can't do any of those now.

I wish I hadn't wasted my time with the exercise, and should have drunk, smoked and taken more drugs.

Not to sound like a smartass, and with all respect, could the pollution of Chang mai have something to do with it? I left shortly after health problems. Writing was on the wall.

"BPH is considered a normal condition of aging. Although the exact cause is unknown, changes in male sex hormones that come with aging may be a factor. Any family history of prostate problems or any abnormalities with your testicles may raise your risk for BPH."

(https://www.healthline.com/health/enlarged-prostate#what-is-bph)

That is bad luck - hope you're OK.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well here's a story of getting older and paying for years into a Thai private health insurance.

My Doc is happy because what he has done is taken care of me for years ever since I was Hospitalized for 8 days with Asthma which was paid for by the private health insurance, a whopping amount in a nice aircon 6 bed room in a govt hospital.

The Thai private insurance company were billed and paid the 12,000 baht.

The following year renewal was refused and they dumped me.

Goodluck to everyone affording private health insurance once you start claiming when your classed as old. ???? 

Why did you choose an insurance company that can 'dump you' when you make a claim?  Choose a company that is legislated by EU or US rules, where they are not allowed to dump you, no matter how many times you claim, and where they are not allowed to increase your premiums if you do make a claim, other than age-band increases for everyone in the same age group.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Not to sound like a smartass, and with all respect, could the pollution of Chang mai have something to do with it? I left shortly after health problems. Writing was on the wall.

More likely all the cycling damaged my parts.

Or Possibly all the unprotected sex.

If I hadn't been in Thailand, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to do either.

But even at 60 I had noticed nearly all the other 'exercise nutters' had dropped out of the game (there's 1 or 2 odd ones that remain in the clubs). Was amazed I made it to 62/63 and could still compete, I don't feel too hard done by. I can still walk 5-6Km/day, which is more than most 65 year olds manage, just have to take my time (5Km/hr max).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:44 AM, swissie said:

The standart reply usually was: "I came here to enjoy my last years of my life and I will be happy to die here".
- But as soon as hospitalized with a serious condition, "the will to live" emerges with a vengeance. The fatalistic "I will be happy to die here" seem to fade quickly. Quite the opposite. If money can cure the illness, the (unisured) Farang will ask for support from their Thai-Family first. Later from his local "Farang-Friends" as a last reasort, as the "Thai-Family" is chronically financially "overextended".

IMO any farang that wants to live in LOS should either pay whatever it costs to get insurance, or carry a sharp blade and be prepared to use it on themselves if it comes to that. If not prepared to do either option, go back to where they can get health cover, which was my decision.

I have no sympathy for those that will not pay the price and when it goes wrong ( as it inevitably does for all of us eventually ) ask others to pay for their error.

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

Why did you choose an insurance company that can 'dump you' when you make a claim?  Choose a company that is legislated by EU or US rules, where they are not allowed to dump you, no matter how many times you claim, and where they are not allowed to increase your premiums if you do make a claim, other than age-band increases for everyone in the same age group.

Well at the time the Thai insurance company was affordable.

Western insurance companies are too expensive at my age.

So I just keep myself fit as I can in a sensible way.

As I have previously said my Hospital Doc checks and keeps a eye on my health and I am happy enough in my situation.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I can still walk 5-6Km/day, which is more than most 65 year olds manage, just have to take my time (5Km/hr max).

I have a Sportster knee from kicking my Iron Head when still young and dumb.

1K and I would be limping badly

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I can still walk 5-6Km/day, which is more than most 65 year olds manage, just have to take my time (5Km/hr max).

I used to be able to do that easy ( I often walked for 3 to 4 hours in one go ), but these days I have better things  ( or even not better things ) to do instead. Frankly, I see no reason to walk long distances anymore anyway, and it's boring. It was different in Thailand when I went to a new beach/ island and I was exploring unseen territory.

However I can still shovel dirt. Recently, over three days, I dug and shoveled about 50 large wheelbarrow loads of dirt and moved it elsewhere. I'm sure I didn't dig as fast as I would have 50 years ago, but I'm not too decrepit yet, for sure. What surprised me is that I didn't feel muscle ache the next day, given I was using a whole set of muscles I don't normally use.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 7:02 AM, BritManToo said:

Not noticed much difference between the 'gross abusers' and the 'health nuts'.

Same chance of cancer, dementia, lung disease.

Maybe slightly reduced chance of heart disease.

Living a healthy lifestyle doesn't make you live any longer, although it may seem a lot longer.

Oh and here’s me thinking that if I took my friends constant advice to live a health life style , watch my weight / alter my diet / drink less alcohol / go to the gym every day / don’t sit in from of my computer for hours on end etc , I would live a lot longer . Can your comment ‘’ Living a healthy lifestyle doesn't make you live any longer ‘’ really be true . If it is true then I’m going back to my happy days when I just enjoyed my self and not worry . Now I’m confused .????

Edited by Bill Poster

23 hours ago, BigStar said:

Typical double down swagger for the peanut gallery. Reminds of those T-shirts commonly sold to tourists in Pattaya: I spent most of my money on beer and women; the rest I just wasted. Hee hee. One of the most amusing examples was that of @Bill Poster recently. High blood pressure, overweight, perhaps undiagnosed latent diabetes (need for sugary dessert after eating full meal),

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates 88 million adult Americans have prediabetes, and more than 84 percent go undiagnosed.

--https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/facts-statistics-infographic#types

and now BPH. Me, I'd take that as a sign to start working to forestall worse problems.

It's Never Too Late: Five Healthy Steps at Any Age.

Instead, it somehow seems a good idea to propose Throwing caution to the wind and b u g g e r the diet – How about you.???? Well, I did try to help, but no minds are ever changed on TVF. Hope he's got good insurance, as recommended in this thread anyway. 

High Blood pressure and over weight , did I really say that ???? - Bill 

3 hours ago, swissie said:

- I can afford to lose 100K as long as it is in THB.

No one can afford to lose even 1 baht to a scammer.  That's why they keep scamming, because it's affordable to be scammed.  

16 hours ago, Bill Poster said:

Oh and here’s me thinking that if I took my friends constant advice to live a health life style , watch my weight / alter my diet / drink less alcohol / go to the gym every day / don’t sit in from of my computer for hours on end etc , I would live a lot longer . Can your comment ‘’ Living a healthy lifestyle doesn't make you live any longer ‘’ really be true . If it is true then I’m going back to my happy days when I just enjoyed my self and not worry . Now I’m confused .????

I've never met anyone fanatical about anything that was fun to be with.

Live life the way one wants to, enjoy as much as possible, try not to regret.

One might not live as long as the fitness fanatical, but life will be a whole lot more enjoyable.

I'm not saying that being a glutton or a drunkard is OK though. Obesity and hangovers are not enjoyable. Moderation in all things works for most.

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm the opposite ...... on a good day my BP is 90/60.

Most days it's lower.

You might want to do some research about that. I googled "low blood pressure" and this popped up.

In severe cases, low blood pressure can be life-threatening. A blood pressure reading lower than 90 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) for the top number (systolic) or 60 mm Hg for the bottom number (diastolic) is generally considered low blood pressure.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've never met anyone fanatical about anything that was fun to be with.

Live life the way one wants to, enjoy as much as possible, try not to regret.

I've learned to compartmentalise my pals.

Hiking club for hiking.

Cycling club for cycling.

Guys I met in local bars for whoring.

I've even been cycling with the CM vegans ....... who are fine if you accidentally don't mention you eat meat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

You might want to do some research about that. I googled "low blood pressure" and this popped up.

In severe cases, low blood pressure can be life-threatening. A blood pressure reading lower than 90 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) for the top number (systolic) or 60 mm Hg for the bottom number (diastolic) is generally considered low blood pressure.

Most reading states, if you don't feel faint you're generally good to go.

I've been doing 87/58 recently ...... had to lie down on the floor a few minutes a couple of times after getting out of bed a bit quick.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Thailand is now 3rd country I lived in long term. 

I like it, but this is no place for old people. I'll be out before I turn 50.

To me the best benchmark if the country is worth living in is how the government teats its own people. 

Out. 

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't know of anywhere that treats it's people well.

UK is pretty bad, especially for white old folks ..... but great if you're an immigrant used to living in a mud hut.

Likewise. Unless oldies have loadsacash life, IMO, becomes more <deleted> the more one needs assistance. U nless I'm lucky and die first, a rest home is in my future, and IMO death is preferable to a place that is more about profit than caring for vulnerable people. I know people that work in rest homes- exploited and underpaid, and the homes are shortstaffed. Not at all something to look forward to.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Thailand is now 3rd country I lived in long term. 

I like it, but this is no place for old people. I'll be out before I turn 50.

To me the best benchmark if the country is worth living in is how the government teats its own people. 

Out. 

Au contra ire, Thailand is IMO the best place to be old in so long as one has LOADSACASH.

Only for people like me that lost the nest egg to unscrupulous wives is it necessary to return to home country.

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most reading states, if you don't feel faint you're generally good to go.

I've been doing 87/58 recently ...... had to lie down on the floor a few minutes a couple of times after getting out of bed a bit quick.

I get postural hypotension too, and my BP isn't normally low. I don't think one is necessarily connected to the other. Google tells me that it could be caused by my hypertension meds.

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Au contra ire, Thailand is IMO the best place to be old in so long as one has LOADSACASH.

Only for people like me that lost the nest egg to unscrupulous wives is it necessary to return to home country.

There are much better countries if you have LOADSACASH  where you don't have to breathe filthy air and eat glorified food that you can get better and cheaper in any western supermarket. 

As for the girls people manage to get laid elsewhere. 

Edited by Pravda

Just now, Pravda said:

There are much better countries if you have LOADSACASH there are much better countries where you don't have to breathe filthy air and eat glorified food that you can get better and cheaper in any western supermarket. 

I wasn't referring to air or food, as you probably knew. Can your money hire two or more pretty nurses to take care of you in those "better countries"?

I never had a problem with the food anywhere ( certainly didn't make me ill ) in LOS, and the beaches have clean air if that's a problem for one.

My dream was to retire on a north Phangan beach with a lovely young lady to take care of me, but I met a wrong un, and it's just a dream now.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't know of anywhere that treats it's people well.

UK is pretty bad, especially for white old folks ..... but great if you're an immigrant used to living in a mud hut.

Not just old folk ...... if you're white and able-bodied, trying to find a graduate job in the UK is almost impossible.  With most of last year's graduates still looking for positions due to the pandemic, there's twice the number of people on the job market.  Then factor in the quotas for ethnic and cultural minorities and the white kids have little to no chance.

When I see the "Thai People First" policies and dual pricing here, I think they have a point.

• Like 2