Pain after crowns

Why Me

On 6/21/2021 at 8:56 PM, Why Me said:

Thanks a lot, doc!

Got questions for you if you don't mind.

First, probably not a failed root canal on 46 as this was done after the initial crowns which was when the pain started. It just didn't alleviate the pain. 

However, the reason for deciding RCT for 46 was that tapping indicated pain there. Now, there's no pain tapping 46, but tapping 47 and to some extent 45. Incidentally, 48 has already been extracted.

Btw, the pain I feel at home has been pretty much the same for a month, no matter what the tapping points to.

So, what do you think of the following plan? Remove the crowns on both 45 and 47 and let the teeth "breathe" a bit (not sure this makes sense but crowns surely create pressure/impact inside), then RCT if need be (from Xrays).

What would you do?

Just now, Duke007 said:

I would not recommend removal of 2 crowns and letting them "air". First I'd recommend a close look at your occlusion- possibly even impressions and study models. Then I'd remove one crown and vitality test the tooth. If vital, either replace the original or new temporary crown with a sedative cement. If non- vital , a root canal is indicated. Then follow the same procedure with the second crown.  Additionally the periodontal health should be checked - any bone loss or deep pockets? 

• Thanks 1

I'm no dentist but sounds like you need a root canal.  The dentist told me I might need that after having crowns done.  He recommended that I get that done from someone who actually specializes in root canals.  There is a reason there are people who specialize in that.

It took a good 2 months for my pain to go away after getting crowns so I didn't need a root canal.  It was never too bad to begin with.  Only hurt when I bit hard.

Edited by shdmn
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2021 at 3:22 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

I don't think that can be done...

You can try the dentists at BNH on Soi Convent... it is really tough to live w/that kind of toothache but you shouldn't have to.. a decent dentist can take care of it... they will start by tapping on the tooth/or crown to determine where the problem is... 

Incorrect at least in my case.  I had a crown a number of years ago no problem 4 years later I developed a tooth ache narrowed it down to the location which happened to be the crown.  Instead of taking out the crown they drilled a hole down the middle and did the root canal thereafter seal it up been 4 years.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2021 at 4:27 PM, Swimfan said:

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. Considering you had the work done by a prosthodontist I am very surprised they did not do root canal on all the teeth having crowns. As you can see now it is false economy to skip the root canal therapy prior to placing a crown. I have had extensive crown work done and all root canal performed as part of the whole treatment plan. It sound to me that you have an alignment issue that is causing pressure on your jaw.

Sounds very painful! Nothing worse than toothache.

If you've had root canals before with no issues, go for it. However, root canals (& implants) can trigger all sorts of autoimmune conditions. Happened to me.

21 hours ago, DavisH said:

Some antibiotics target the mouth area, so it would be worth for the OP to ask the dentist about it. I was given some after my implant surgery, but don't recall the name. 

I didnt know that. I have always been prescribed amoxycillin by dentists in UK and Thailand.

21 hours ago, Why Me said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Matter of fact did. Two rounds of antibiotics. Amoxiclav full course and then Augmentin about 2 weeks later. Did not help.

Sorry to hear that. I hope u can get some relief soon.

• Thanks 1