Reopening of Phuket and Surat Thani to foreign tourists confirmed for July

snoop1130

10 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Wow. I have just picked a random hotel from the "Phuket Sandbox Hotels" link above:

The Vijitt Resort Hotel - from 63,000 baht for 14 nights = 4,500 baht per night.

On Agoda and I can book the same place for 14 nights for 23,253 baht (including taxes and service fees).

Not a great deal is it?

Why bother it's not the place it used to be 

11 hours ago, Surelynot said:

UK press today.......China expected to keep its borders closed for another 12 months???????

Looks like it will have to Indians....whoops no......then just the Russians?......That is something to look forward to!!!

Or....6 million Brits????

I guess your post makes sense to someone...WHAT???

• Haha 1

"Tourists on Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao will have to stay at their hotel for the first three days."

How do these poisonous, dangerous foreign visitors arrive in the first place to begin their lockup? Perhaps Samui will have non-stop international flights by mid-July, but getting to Koh Phangan or Koh Tao will involve a relatively long and complicated road and boat journey from any international airport for passengers who are supposed to be isolated.

Edited by khunjeff
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s cabinet has confirmed that Phuket will reopen to fully vaccinated tourists on July 1st, under the “Phuket Sandbox” project, as planned. Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao, in Surat Thani province, will follow a similar model on July 15th, said Government spokesperson Anucha Burapachaisri today (Tuesday).

So forgetting the imaginary numbers of tourists coming suggested by T.A.T will it be boom or bust for businesses.

Borders open you now have what you've all be crying out for.

But with virtually no tourists you'll be footing your expenses.

No more hand-outs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

and install the “Thailand Plus” and other local apps (in the case of Phuket the “Mor Chana” app) upon arrival, so that their locations can be tracked.

so that their locations can be tracked.

That's the monger demographic gone right there. I guess the barkeeps will be despairing about now.

• Haha 1

I’m 74 next week and registered with my wife also Farang in Samui on Surratthanni  government web site . Checked yesterday message the same “ You are registered you will receive an SMS for appointment. It’s been the same now for four weeks and now they want to open up Samui and the local islands . I also had a six way heart bypass some ten years ago in BBK so I’m high risk even more so now with the Delta version on the loose in Thailand . When will they get around to vaccinate us Farang as promised .

35 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Quite a few people used to go there.

Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao are all in Suratthani province.

IMO no tourist calls the place Surathani province. They all refer to Samui, Phangan or Tao. The town is what people refer to when they say Surat Thani. I've passed through the town many times and that's as close as I wanted to get to it.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

So forgetting the imaginary numbers of tourists coming suggested by T.A.T will it be boom or bust for businesses.

Borders open you now have what you've all be crying out for.

But with virtually no tourists you'll be footing your expenses.

No more hand-outs.

IMO it depends on how easy it is to visit Cambodia or Vietnam, compared to LOS, to see how many tourists return to LOS.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

Just wonder what kind of excuse they will have at the end of July. Surat Thani? Who ever goes there?

very easy, they print this today already "Daily cases of Covid increasing" = finished, case closed ("beyond our control and plans")

12 hours ago, Surelynot said:

UK press today.......China expected to keep its borders closed for another 12 months???????

Looks like it will have to Indians....whoops no......then just the Russians?......That is something to look forward to!!!

Or....6 million Brits????

Right.

China to Keep Covid-19 Border Restrictions for Another Year - WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-to-keep-covid-19-border-restrictions-for-another-year-11624361777

Edited by JuiceRed
  • Like 1