New inverter a/c daikin not very cool...I'm baffled

Sheryl

1 minute ago, Dazinoz said:

They come precharged and don't need refrigerant unless piping run above a certain distance. That doesn't mean he didn't accidentally  release some refrigerant. 

I was taking to an electrician who had just installed an AC in Australia. All connected and tried to run but it did not. A couple checks everything seemed ok but still would not run. Decided to take main covers off to see if he could see the problem. Very obvious, no compressor. Yes it came from the factory with no compressor. Good QC. Its a wonder didn't feel the lightness of the outdoor unit.

Even more a wonder they got it to charge sufficiently.  

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Even more a wonder they got it to charge sufficiently.  

It wouldn't have been charged as the refrigerant is stored in the outdoor unit. I guess he connected the pipes and vacced it down (maybe) then opened the service valves. As I said AC come precharged.

1 minute ago, MrJ2U said:

I had one Daikan inverter, same problem.  It felt like it was blowing warm air.  I was told they cant (inverters) aren't very good in the extreme heat and humidity.

I ended up getting Mitsubishi's Mr Slim line.  Very happy with all 8 of them.

I was hoping to save money with the inverters but they couldn't handle the HOT season up here in Issan.  

Im really happy with them.

I had some Samsung Air Cons, they didn't last but 4 years.

Also everyone knows how to fix Mitsubishi air cons.  

Good luck.

I'll wait and see what the technicians say, but I much suspect this is my situation.

The machines are blowing cool air, just not as cool as I am used to and it was quite insufficient on the hot days.  Last 2 days, we had a big rain that cooled things off and the weather is much cooler; in that condition the a/c is adequate.

I suspect nothing is wrong with the installation etc, rather these machines just aren't up to the task on really hot days - but will wait for the technicians visit to confirm.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2021 at 6:24 PM, Sheryl said:

The authorized dealer where I am has only  useless, poorly trained "changs" to offer. Definitely not a real engineer in the place or anything remotely approaching it.

it is not blowing hot air, the air it blows is cool, just not very and no setting produces the cold blast I seek. But it is definitely not operating in fan only mode, that would be obvious.

Guess I'll try calling the company tomorrow.

something to help with diagnosis is for u to get a thermometer and test the temp out of the ac unit ..  that will give u and the rep and idea what u are talking about and after someone comes to fix or check it out u can use that temp as a reference to the fix ..   so u would look for a thermometer   that is around 30 40 F  

• Like 2

Sheryl, as mentioned earlier in this thread, if your A/C units were 20 years old then they probably used the older R-22 refrigerant.

R-32 refrigerant, used by modern A/C units (especially inverter units) requires higher pressure and uses a different lubricant in the lines.

The technician should have replaced your lines (good) or at least cleaned the old/incompatible lubricant out (not so good).

If they didn't replace your lines, the higher pressure might have caused a leak.

If they did replace your lines, they might have introduced a kink in the pipes that is slowing the circulation and hindering the cooling. They also may not have insulated the lines properly which would lead not only to lower efficiency but also possible condensation issues in your walls/ceilings.

I realize the tech/chang is coming soon but it is good to go in to the visit as an informed consumer.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I'll wait and see what the technicians say, but I much suspect this is my situation.

The machines are blowing cool air, just not as cool as I am used to and it was quite insufficient on the hot days.  Last 2 days, we had a big rain that cooled things off and the weather is much cooler; in that condition the a/c is adequate.

I suspect nothing is wrong with the installation etc, rather these machines just aren't up to the task on really hot days - but will wait for the technicians visit to confirm.

Well best of luck to you.

I was lucky.  Daikin refunded my money.  Daiken is a great brand and definitely not cheap.

10 minutes ago, fishbrando said:

R-32 refrigerant, used by modern A/C units (especially inverter units) requires higher pressure and uses a different lubricant in the lines.

Funny how different countries use different refrigerants, Australia uses mainly R410a and R143a.

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

Funny how different countries use different refrigerants, Australia uses mainly R410a and R143a.

Never heard about R143a, so maybe you mean R134a instead, and both refrigerants are on the banned list.

I thought Australia was more environment aware

4 hours ago, ifmu said:

something to help with diagnosis is for u to get a thermometer and test the temp out of the ac unit ..  that will give u and the rep and idea what u are talking about and after someone comes to fix or check it out u can use that temp as a reference to the fix ..   so u would look for a thermometer   that is around 30 40 F  

I have thermometers ordered from Lazada.

Where exactly do I test the temp? On the air blowing out of the a/c into the room? Or where?

57 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have thermometers ordered from Lazada.

Where exactly do I test the temp? On the air blowing out of the a/c into the room? Or where?

Poke the thermometer in the air vent. The air coming out should be about 10c colder than the room temp.

10 hours ago, Susco said:

Never heard about R143a, so maybe you mean R134a instead, and both refrigerants are on the banned list.

I thought Australia was more environment aware

Yep it was mistype, it should have been R134a. I have dealt with refrigerants for 8 years in Oz so not sure. I think it was mainly used in car Acs. But R410a was in all the latest splits unto when I left.

11 hours ago, Dan O said:

With all respeect Sheryl, the inverters should work just fine to cool properly. The perception expressed by some is they won't work in hot weather. That is usually expressed  by people that do not understand the technology

One quick and easy check would be to run them at a low temp at night time when  It's not hot outside.  if it's just a matter of them not being up to the task the air coming out should be considerably colder than daytime. If its basically the same that shows there's some other issue rather than there cablility.   

From personal experience they are more than capable to handle the job. I suspect the installers missed something in the connection of the units, like opening the service valve or overcharging the units. 

If the tech that come out are knowledgeable they will sort this out fairly quickly. 

There's a lot of misinformation posted in the replies and I would disregard most of what's being said in them. 

Yep, definitely should be able to handle the heat load as they are just normal Acs with electronic control.

The biggest thing about heat is the electronics, i.e. if they get too hot they are "smart" enough to de-rate themselves as to avoid damage. I was told this in a course run by a dual degree electrical/refigeration engineer so I assume he knows a little of what he is talking about. As I mentioned in a previous post I recommend to people to shade the outdoor unit from direct sun as most of the electronics are in there.

But other than that the Acs should cool normally.

And yes there is a lot of mis information on here.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dan O said:

There's a lot of misinformation posted in the replies and I would disregard most of what's being said in them. 

Yes there is, the problem comes how do people like Sheryl know that?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Poke the thermometer in the air vent. The air coming out should be about 10c colder than the room temp.

Temperature will also be a function of blower speed. The higher the blower speed, the less cool the temperature coming out the vent will be. So when you press the "powerful" button on Daikin the temperature coming out will actually be higher than other modes because while it runs the compressor at full, it also runs the blower at the very highest speed. And of course inverter units throttle how much of compressor energy they use over time that effects the temperature a great deal.

I have a Daikin inverter. I am not real happy with the throttling technology. I prefer traditional AC that blasts cold air all out until it gets to the set temperature. It is frustrating when the Daikin decides to throttle back greatly on the compressor even though I still feel a room is too warm. I am probably saving a bundle on electricity bills, but comfort suffers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2021 at 3:19 PM, Dan O said:

I do not have any clue what is wrong but surely some is . Daikin is a good brand , but even if it was the cheapest of cheapest non brand , at least 1 should be working a bit . He replaced a old 9000btu unit with a 12000 btu inverter unit , it should work , period , or something is wrong . Can all be a few minutes longer or shorter but it should be able to do its job . Having both failing , would actually be like winning the lottery ( there are people winning it ) .  Wait for the service to come along and i'm sure they do find something not correct . The installer prob did something wrong ... 

Just as a FWIW my Mitsubishi move eye  9,000 BTU model is currently set for our overnight sleeping temperature of 22O C in our bedroom that is 23 square metres and 84 cubic metres it’s virtually silent now as it’s maintaining an actual room temperature of 23O C

That is a hair under 400 BTU/SM  or a tiny bit over 100 BTU/CuM  yes we have good insulation but also have 9 SQM of windows 

The AC is an inverter and every calculator will say it is grossly undersized for the room however real world experience shows that it isn’t, that it isn’t running flat out (it cycles as any inverter will), and that it brings the room down to temperature in a reasonable time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Really 555555 and what is your point?

I was responding to a reply that recommended measuring pressure with a thermometer.

I won't bother to find it, but if you look you will see it.

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Just as a FWIW my Mitsubishi move eye  9,000 BTU model is currently set for our overnight sleeping temperature of 22O C in our bedroom that is 23 square metres and 84 cubic metres it’s virtually silent now as it’s maintaining an actual room temperature of 23O C

That is a hair under 400 BTU/SM  or a tiny bit over 100 BTU/CuM  yes we have good insulation but also have 9 SQM of windows 

The AC is an inverter and every calculator will say it is grossly undersized for the room however real world experience shows that it isn’t, that it isn’t running flat out (it cycles as any inverter will), and that it brings the room down to temperature in a reasonable time. 

Surprised that people need to set the temp. so low, ie 22 degrees. I set my aircon in bedroom at 27 degrees and find that's more than cool enough.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 9:49 PM, Sheryl said:

FTKF24UV2S

We replaced a 12 year old Daikin with the same model as above in January this year. It works fine, night time it's set at 22C and that's the temperature reading on the thermometer in the room +/- 0.5.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Surprised that people need to set the temp. so low, ie 22 degrees. I set my aircon in bedroom at 27 degrees and find that's more than cool enough.

When you share  a bed with 3 females 2 of them with a normal body temperature of about 39°C and a male, who’s temperature is also about 39°C a single sheet and 23°C is comfortable. 

if I have a nap in the daytime I’m usually by myself and 26~27  works well. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

When you share  a bed with 3 females 2 of them with a normal body temperature of about 39°C and a male who’s temperature is also about 39°C a single sheet and 23°C is comfortable. 

if I have a nap in the daytime I’m usually by myself and 26~27  works well. 

Must be a big bed. Or are the females Chihuahuas?

Edited by giddyup
  • Haha 1

it's so funny that people are surprised.

I have similar BTU daikin inverter and no inverter.

CLEARLY since the start the inverter blow less cold air.

People who know nothing like it or not, argue or not, this is a fact.

3 Daikin engineers from the main branch in Chonburi city spent hours testing everything to confirm that everything worked well.

Then now you can keep talking about what you know nothing...

• Sad 2