2 million more Sinovac vaccine doses arrive in Thailand Wednesday

webfact

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Two million more doses of China’s Sinovac vaccine

The first million doses of China’s state-owned Sinopharm vaccine (from another OP)

Maybe this will be deleted, but for reference (24 June 2021):-

COVID Outbreaks Continue in Many Countries Taking Chinese Vaccines

Most of the doses administered in countries such as Seychelles, Chile, Bahrain, and Mongolia, which have the highest rates of inoculated populations in the world, were developed by Chinese companies Sinovac and Sinopharm. Jin Dongyan, a virologist at the University of Hong Kong, pointed out to the publication, “If the vaccines are sufficiently good, we should not see this pattern."

https://www.thequint.com/coronavirus/outbreaks-continue-in-chile-seychelles-bahrain-populations-with-chinese-vaccines-sinopharm-sinovac

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

COVID Outbreaks Continue in Many Countries Taking Chinese Vaccines

Most of the doses administered in countries such as Seychelles, Chile, Bahrain, and Mongolia, which have the highest rates of inoculated populations in the world, were developed by Chinese companies Sinovac and Sinopharm.

Read past the headlines and pull out quotes, which tend to be clickbait. It's not all doom and gloom.

You will see in the actual article:

Amid the confounding outbreaks, scientists have also cited easing of social controls and careless behaviour for the spike in infections.

You will also see:

Additionally, Sinovac's efficacy at preventing symptomatic infection was 51 percent in Brazil, 67 percent in Chile, 65 percent in Indonesia, and 84 percent in Turkey. The differences in results may be due to different variants circulating in each country at the time and differences in the populations included in the studies.

As with all the COVID-19 vaccines for which data are available, efficacy against the more severe outcomes is greater. Efficacy against hospitalisation for Sinovac in Chile, Brazil and Turkey was 85 percent, 100 percent and 100 percent, respectively.

And this:

According to the head researcher of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies at Mongolia's Ministry of Health Batbayar Ochirbat, Mongolia has done the right thing by employing the Chinese-made jab, mostly because it has kept the mortality rate low in the country.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

As per Indonesia (May 12, 2021)

Sinovac Biotech Ltd.’s vaccine is wiping out Covid-19 among health workers in Indonesia, an encouraging sign for the dozens of developing countries reliant on the controversial Chinese shot, which performed far worse than western vaccines in clinical trials.

Indonesia tracked 128,290 health workers in capital city Jakarta from January to March and found that the vaccine protected 98% of them from death and 96% from hospitalization as soon as seven days after the second dose, Pandji Dhewantara, a Health Ministry official who oversaw the study, said in a Wednesday press conference.

Dhewantara also said that 94% of the workers had been protected against symptomatic infection -- an extraordinary result that goes beyond what was measured in the shot’s numerous clinical trials.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-11/china-s-sinovac-shot-found-highly-effective-in-real-world-study

It's stopping people from dying, but not stopping spread

• Like 1

Not seeing many articles about AZ recently. Have they given up? Or perhaps they are fulfilling obligations to Taiwan, Malaysia, and the Philippines, who I understand Thailand agreed to supply as part of the license agreement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redline said:

It's stopping people from dying, but not stopping spread

It doesn't stop it completely (no vaccine stops it completely) but it does reduce new infections.

For perspective, the Seychelles outbreak is 316 new infections per million, without lock-down like restrictions. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sinovac - 350 Doctors infected with Covid 19 after Sinvac vaccines

What's your data?
350 out of how many vaccinated? Front-line doctors? What are the findings of the Indonesian authorities?

Is Thaivisaforum graduating from Thai-bashing to vaccine-bashing now?

We're in a pandemic!

13 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Sinovac Biotech Ltd.’s vaccine is wiping out Covid-19 among health workers in Indonesia, an encouraging sign for the dozens of developing countries reliant on the controversial Chinese shot, which performed far worse than western vaccines in clinical trials.

Indonesia tracked 128,290 health workers in capital city Jakarta from January to March and found that the vaccine protected 98% of them from death and 96% from hospitalization as soon as seven days after the second dose, Pandji Dhewantara, a Health Ministry official who oversaw the study, said in a Wednesday press conference.

Dhewantara also said that 94% of the workers had been protected against symptomatic infection -- an extraordinary result that goes beyond what was measured in the shot’s numerous clinical trials.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-11/china-s-sinovac-shot-found-highly-effective-in-real-world-study

That was before the delta variant became endemic. It probably is doing a reasonably good job if preventing hospitalization and death, but not so good at stopping transmission.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

not so good at stopping transmission.

I would agree but only because you have the nuance.

Sh*tposts like "completely useless," "fake," "junk," OTOH have no basis in fact.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fromas said:

I would agree but only because you have the nuance.

Sh*tposts like "completely useless," "fake," "junk," OTOH have no basis in fact.

Yes. Those posts seem to be inspired by distaste for the Chinese govt. Not so much by the facts.

• Thanks 1

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/singapore-latest-to-cast-doubt-over-chinese-sinovac-efficacy-here-s-why-101624198278032.html

Singapore latest to cast doubt over Chinese Sinovac efficacy. Here’s why

• Singapore has included only Pfizer and Moderna vaccines in its national vaccination program but has allowed private health clinics to administer Sinovac.
  • Like 2

Singapore was fortunate to lock in early purchase contracts with those suppliers!

Let me be clear: I'm all for more vaccines and more choice. Incidentally, there is also appreciable demand in Singapore for Sinovac!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

What I don't understand is how so many comments a year or so ago were speculating that Covid would become weaker and less infectious as time goes on, as with earlier SARS infections. But that isn't happening. The newer mutations seem to be more deadly and more infectious, such as Delta.

You may need a VPN to watch this vid

Inventer of Mrna tech says young people should not take Mrna vaccines ( use alternatives ) and we don't need Booster shots

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/mrna-inventor-says-young-adults-shouldnt-have-to-get-covid-vaccine/ar-AALnhq5?li=BBnbfcL&fbclid=IwAR24PgZHmpWuDS2uiXa5CKauInqQGo9PJvNQvfw2rBCkvi2PJevousDyZzs

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

You may need a VPN to watch this vid

Inventer of Mrna tech says young people should not take Mrna vaccines ( use alternatives ) and we don't need Booster shots

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/mrna-inventor-says-young-adults-shouldnt-have-to-get-covid-vaccine/ar-AALnhq5?li=BBnbfcL&fbclid=IwAR24PgZHmpWuDS2uiXa5CKauInqQGo9PJvNQvfw2rBCkvi2PJevousDyZzs

He actually was one of the inventors of mRNA transfection. The research that was submitted had several names listed. His was one.  So, yeah, he knows a lot. But he's just 1 scientist among many. And it's not like private property. He doesn't get to own the knowledge that his research has created or claim primacy in understanding it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fromas said:

It doesn't stop it completely (no vaccine stops it completely) but it does reduce new infections.

For perspective, the Seychelles outbreak is 316 new infections per million, without lock-down like restrictions. 

Exactly, they are the weakest vaccines available.  Compare that to Israel that is not in lockdown.  Better than nothing, sure, but the price (direct or indirect) should reflect the quality.  And, all of the data should be released.

Edited by Redline

On 6/24/2021 at 10:43 AM, John Drake said:

The Sinovac is better than nothing. And it appears to be almost as good as the AZ. Meanwhile, in a topic just posted the allotment of Moderna to Thailand has been cut in half with the 3800 baht price now to be adjusted. Help isn't coming. Not from our embassies (unless you are Chinese or French) and not from the importation of other vaccines. Get Sinovac or AZ or take your chances.

It's hard to tell what the story really is with SinoVac due to all of the politically based BS floating around in the media and on the web.  Much of what people are saying about it is nothing more than 100% bul* Sh*t.

All i Know is that if I were offered it, I'd take it.  It's better than nothing at all, and when a Western vaccine becomes available, you can always take the Western one as well.

All I know for sure is that the Delta variants have seriously changed the picture and make vaccination with ANY brand of vaccine ASAP to be  a priority.

As for not expecting help from our home countries, I think it's a little premature to to have such pessimistic view of that. 

I really think that, just like the Chinese did, when the US makes its' donation to the Asian countries (which should be very soon), it would be very easy to stipulate that expats be prioritized to receive vaccinations from that donation. 

Personally my best hopes for being vaccinated sooner rather than later are with the donated vaccines, or by going back to my home country to get it.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2021 at 11:52 PM, jerrymahoney said:

Hopefully it is just poorly phrased… but is that relative to a control group or absolute numbers.  In absolute terms it doesn’t sound much better than a shot of saline.

On 6/24/2021 at 6:45 PM, 3NUMBAS said:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/singapore-latest-to-cast-doubt-over-chinese-sinovac-efficacy-here-s-why-101624198278032.html

Singapore latest to cast doubt over Chinese Sinovac efficacy. Here’s why

• Singapore has included only Pfizer and Moderna vaccines in its national vaccination program but has allowed private health clinics to administer Sinovac.

Pfizer and Moderna Vaccines Likely to Produce Lasting Immunity, Study Finds

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/pfizer-and-moderna-vaccines-likely-to-produce-lasting-immunity-study-finds/ar-AALwIVD?li=BBnb7Kz

On 6/24/2021 at 3:48 AM, RichardColeman said:

Think Thais should look at what is happening now in Indonesia with Sinovac - 350 Doctors infected with Covid 19 after Sinvac vaccines. Waste of money, 

They were probably  infected  before they were vaccinated.  These scare stories without  context are just damaging gossip and groundless scare mongering

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

It's hard to tell what the story really is with SinoVac due to all of the politically based BS floating around in the media and on the web.  Much of what people are saying about it is nothing more than 100% bul* Sh*t.

All i Know is that if I were offered it, I'd take it.  It's better than nothing at all, and when a Western vaccine becomes available, you can always take the Western one as well.

All I know for sure is that the Delta variants have seriously changed the picture and make vaccination with ANY brand of vaccine ASAP to be  a priority.

As for not expecting help from our home countries, I think it's a little premature to to have such pessimistic view of that. 

I really think that, just like the Chinese did, when the US makes its' donation to the Asian countries (which should be very soon), it would be very easy to stipulate that expats be prioritized to receive vaccinations from that donation. 

Personally my best hopes for being vaccinated sooner rather than later are with the donated vaccines, or by going back to my home country to get it.

The ill informed hysteria about Sinovac is anti Chinese sentiment. 

On 6/24/2021 at 6:59 PM, Fromas said:

Singapore was fortunate to lock in early purchase contracts with those suppliers!

Let me be clear: I'm all for more vaccines and more choice. Incidentally, there is also appreciable demand in Singapore for Sinovac!

Sinivac is mainly  reviled by ignoramuses and for some reason certain TVF users.

On 6/24/2021 at 4:52 AM, jerrymahoney said:

It's highly effective  across populations. It's well documented.

On 6/24/2021 at 6:14 AM, Bkk Brian said:

Isn't Thailand lucky, the least efficient vaccine to fight the most contagious strains in the world currently in Thailand. A very sad reflection on the governments complacency and refusal to order adequate amounts and adequate supplies of similar priced mrna vaccines months ago and now having no choice but to order this.

Wrong. It's highly effective  accross populations according  to real world  data

On 6/24/2021 at 7:03 AM, Marvin Hagler said:

This vaccine is all but useless against the new strains and as such is a completely ineffective tool for fighting this pandemic.

Chinas vaccine diplomacy plan has failed spectacularly.

It is an excellent  stepping stone on the way to defeating Corona.  You are wrong