Phuket Tourism Association denies reports only legally married foreigners and Thais can share hotel rooms

webfact

1 hour ago, Robin said:

Only proves that Covid is being used as a chance to stop all those nasty sex tourists.  Only clean living families are wanted in Thailand

I think it is more about honesty than clean living. Describing someone on a booking form or other related documents as a "husband or wife" is just deception when no legal marriage has been entered into.  Now whether or not it is old fashioned and/or  hypocritical given Thailand's reputation not to allow partners in the same room is an entirely separate issue, but to describe someone as your wife or husband, when legally they are not is in my view incorrect. Remembering that to gain an extension of stay based on marriage requires a legal marriage also then the Thai's could argue that the same standards are being applied if this is in fact a principle that is being enforced.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

"If foreigners arrive with a girlfriend, lover, sex partner they will not be permitted to stay together. 

"The same goes for those in a "third gender" relationship unless they had travelled together from their country of origin".

He also mention what he called "sao ent" - this is a euphemism for a prostitute or "entertainment girl". Those would also be a no-no in the rooms. 

Phoomkiat said that foreigners will not be able to sleep with someone they met on the island even for a bit of fun during the day.

I wonder if that will reduce the number of visitors during the sandbox period...????

I did actually witness something like this in Vietnam two years ago - they would not allow a foreigner and a local girl to stay together.

Also, many couples choose not to marry, especially if they do not plan to have a family.

So, if this ludicrous plan goes ahead...no doubt we will see many little vendors on corners offering marriage certificate for a nominal fee.

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Right... good news for the massage joints or do they have no "curtain motels" on the island?

if you find the right girl it might be the longest massage in history

7 minutes ago, Crusader said:

So, if this ludicrous plan goes ahead...no doubt we will see many little vendors on corners offering marriage certificate for a nominal fee.

the hotel staff will be wanting to know why Joe Boggs has 3 wives a day lol

• Haha 2

I have a feeling that the lost in translation bit is that he meant only registered guests could stay at SHA hotels and no late night visitors. In other words the hotels aren’t girl friendly. Although I assume 1,000 baht might create an exception or two.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I have a feeling that the lost in translation bit is that he meant only registered guests could stay at SHA hotels and no late night visitors. In other words the hotels aren’t girl friendly. Although I assume 1,000 baht might create an exception or two.

so basically these hotels are pretty much ASQ hotels that allow you out during the day, all other restrictions remain

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

would need to be legally married if they wanted to share a bedroom with a Thai national. 

Might be worth the ASQ if I can share a bedroom with young pretty Thai nationals. My wife won't be too pleased though.....????

It’s clearly their way of trying to restrict prostitution which many countries did during Covid. Of course that doesn’t work when prostitution is already illegal but not enforced so there’s all those part-time girlfriends and you don’t wanna speak it out. Had prostitution been legal and regulated they could just order it closed as many other businesses. 

so basically this is how this plays out 

you can bonk who you want as many you want all day every day as long as they don't set foot in your hotel room that you booked and paid for 

because your hotel room and bed are infected with covid

asstounding stupidity 

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

So all those single men looking to go there for a bit of fun should now cancel LOL TIT .

Maybe a booming business for any short time places for those unable to cancel their trip .

Funny, I thought they only did this in Laos, but this is Thailand I think?

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

Doubles the price of the holiday if you have to book two rooms. One each for you and your partner.

If such a thing would be true ,can anyone in their right mind can think that I pay double to be separated from my partner?

They can starve to me, things like this shouldn't be published even as a joke