Phuket Tourism Association denies reports only legally married foreigners and Thais can share hotel rooms

webfact

I expected that

The Phuket sandbox  plan is to fill so many 5 stars hotel rooms to provide quick cash for the "who" owning the hotels.

One way is  no 2 persons can share a room...only legally married people- which can be a few.

SO.... no 2 lesbians or gays or friends, or older lady with her companion can share one room.

Another techniques to bleed more money from the arriving people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

"If foreigners arrive with a girlfriend, lover, sex partner they will not be permitted to stay together. 

However, according to a statement, the association’s president, Khun Bhummikiit Ruktaengam, had been misinterpreted during an interview with Thai media.

Of course he was misinterpreted.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, grandpa said:

Only 6 days away from zero hour and they are introducing even more silly rules!  No-one that I know of carries their marriage certificate around with them!  And what right has anybody to deny partners who may have cohabited for many years their right to share a room!  Thailand gets madder every day!

They keep injecting moralism on the commoners.
No booze
No gamble

No cannabis unless it's grown by the Friends of Anutin and contains no THC
No sleeping with you girlfriend

7 hours ago, connda said:

That's more likely to impact some Hi-So Somchai and his mia-noi as opposed to a farang. 

Can anyone really imagine Thais holding other Thais to such an inconvenient rule? If it were ever enforced, it would in reality be applied only to aliens.

• Like 1

If this edict is true, not only are the punters SOL, but so are the ladies who, and I'll go out on a limb here, are hoping to score big as it's been over a year since they've been able to ply their trade. My guess is the ladies will have their hansum men come stay at the ladies' place to love long time.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, WingFat said:

If this edict is true, not only are the punters SOL, but so are the ladies who, and I'll go out on a limb here, are hoping to score big as it's been over a year since they've been able to ply their trade. My guess is the ladies will have their hansum men come stay at the ladies' place to love long time.

How many bars do you think will be open?People who come for that will be very

disappointed, there may be a few local ladies hanging around the hotels but most

will still be in the village.

1 hour ago, brian2f2f said:

I will never settle down with a girl I can't live with before marriage. Too many people change after living together. Like for example say you have a girl and she acts all nice sweet and responsible. Then you are a person that has to have a clean kept place. But you only learn the trith that she is not a clean responsible person after start living together bas so does not wash dishses or do any cleaning and leaves the place looking disgusting always. Thats a hell of a lot of trouble to have to turn around and divorve her if can't live together first. 

I agree with you, for us Westerners it is like going back to the past time where religion imposed chastity in Europe. But if we evaluate the situation in which it is now Thailand where it is customary in many parts of the country that the mother decides here she will have to marry her daughter and if you want to marry in tradition you have to pay, it seems to me that the government is following more the current Thai tradition who will succeed is another question.

Since it is very difficult to live together between two people of different cultures and that the percentage of failure is very large if this happens it will be much more difficult to avoid a divorce and consequently marry a Thai, but other countries in Asia are now freer then the choice of having a new partner is not limited to Thailand only as those in government believe.

5 hours ago, Excel said:

I think it is more about honesty than clean living. Describing someone on a booking form or other related documents as a "husband or wife" is just deception when no legal marriage has been entered into.  Now whether or not it is old fashioned and/or  hypocritical given Thailand's reputation not to allow partners in the same room is an entirely separate issue, but to describe someone as your wife or husband, when legally they are not is in my view incorrect. Remembering that to gain an extension of stay based on marriage requires a legal marriage also then the Thai's could argue that the same standards are being applied if this is in fact a principle that is being enforced.

Not really. I got my visa to visit wife based on our marriage certificate (that we got when we got married in the U.S.) and then my extension based on the same document. When we went to the amphur to register our marriage, they wouldn't register it without a particular stamp from a particular office somewhere else. We went to that office and they wouldn't give us the official stamp before a stamp from another office. We went there and they wouldn't do that stamp before the first office would do the stamp which, again, gave the same refusal. So, we couldn't get the stamp and the amphur wouldn't register our marriage as "official." So, in our situation, we wouldn't be recognized as officially married in Thailand and, therefore, wouldn't be allowed to share a room. 

3 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Not really. I got my visa to visit wife based on our marriage certificate (that we got when we got married in the U.S.) and then my extension based on the same document. When we went to the amphur to register our marriage, they wouldn't register it without a particular stamp from a particular office somewhere else. We went to that office and they wouldn't give us the official stamp before a stamp from another office. We went there and they wouldn't do that stamp before the first office would do the stamp which, again, gave the same refusal. So, we couldn't get the stamp and the amphur wouldn't register our marriage as "official." So, in our situation, we wouldn't be recognized as officially married in Thailand and, therefore, wouldn't be allowed to share a room. 

So are you  saying that you got an extension of stay based on marriage here in Thailand, without providing them with a Kor Ror 2 ( because you say you were not legally married in Thailand ) ?  really . Are you still in Thailand now ?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Phuket Tourism Association on Friday moved quickly to dispel  reports that foreigners staying in Phuket as part of the ‘Sandbox’ project would need to be legally married if they wanted to share a bedroom with a Thai national. 

that would have been really bad for ''business''.

9 minutes ago, Excel said:

So are you  saying that you got an extension of stay based on marriage here in Thailand, without providing them with a Kor Ror 2 ( because you say you were not legally married in Thailand ) ?  really . Are you still in Thailand now ?

Yes. Our marriage certificate is from the U.S. Thai immigration gave me the extension without the certificate of registration from the amphur. I am not in Thailand now. My extension expired. So, I would enter on a 90-day visa to visit a relative, again. Can do retirement visa if I were to get refused the marriage extension in future. Both types of extensions would work for me. 

7 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Does this exclude people who are legally married but not to the person they want to stay in the same room with? 

And begs the question if you have legally more than one wife can they all stay with you ???

4 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Yes. Our marriage certificate is from the U.S. Thai immigration gave me the extension without the certificate of registration from the amphur. I am not in Thailand now. My extension expired. So, I would enter on a 90-day visa to visit a relative, again. Can do retirement visa if I were to get refused the marriage extension in future. Both types of extensions would work for me. 

So as you are not in Thailand currently, and from what you say it appears you are not planning on returning in the immediate future, the issue of whether or not you can stay with your wife or not currently in Phuket is not applicable to you anyway.  In the future things may well change as I am sure you appreciate

1 hour ago, Dont confuse me said:

So a couple of gay guys who have been cohabiting in the UK along with their female neighbours who also happen to be gay can't continue to live the same way in Thailand as they do in their own country? 

Another reason NOT to visit LOS ! way to go Thailand 

surely even Thais would find it very odd to require 2 women to prove they are NOT gay to be allowed to share a twin room..........

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, monty1412 said:

And begs the question if you have legally more than one wife can they all stay with you ???

Yes absolutely.  If you are Muslim or Morman I would think you would be able to otherwise it would be blatant religious discrimination.   

I also noticed they said nothing about attendants such as personal trainers, massage assistants, or hair stylists being able to share the room.  

8 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Considering all of these ridiculous restrictions and the way foreigners are treated in this country, I honestly hope that not only Phuket but Thailand as a whole fails. Who in there right mind wants to spend there hard earned money and earned vacation time from work to holiday in any destination that has the unmitigated gaul telling you what to do and how to do it. Vacations are supposed to be restful and stress free with plenty of unrestricted activities and all business open that makes their holiday a fun and memorable experience. Irregardless if you agree with me or not, life is short, each and everyone of us deserves much more than this! As long as you don't hurt anyone or yourself, live and enjoy life by your rules. Never let anyone dictate your life!

You do have a choice..... you do not have to come or stay if you are here.

Your statement that you actually hope that Thailand fails...what a selfish and sad thing to say. I have been coming here for near on 40 years and lived here going on 14 years and In that time.....overall I have been treated pretty well by all. Maybe in your case if you have had problems it could be about your attitude towards the place.

I have found that if you treat people like you want to be treated you usually do not have a problem when visiting other countries and could lead to meeting some fantastic locals and even making friends for life in the countries you visit.

Try it sometime.... you may be surprised.

Edited by roobob
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

As if the hurdles are not high enough. Now a fake puritan chimes in with more nonsense. Only this time with a mindless "anti fun crusader" attitude. Things are looking worse and worse every day, for the future of tourism here. And I am not just talking about ths sandbox silliness. I am talking long term. 5 or 10 years from now. It will never in our lifetimes come even close to what it was before. And on some levels, that might be a good thing. 

And does this make any sense to any of you? I don't see a connection. Was this just a really sloppy job at really bad PR? 

The media went further quoting Bhummikiit Raktaengam, the head of the Phuket tourism business association who was speaking on behalf of the hotels. 

"If foreigners arrive with a girlfriend, lover, sex partner they will not be permitted to stay together. 

However, according to a statement, the association’s president, Khun Bhummikiit Ruktaengam, had been misinterpreted during an interview with Thai media. 

The statement said: “in order to avoid any misunderstandings or confusion with this regard, all parties are requested to await an announcement in the Royal Gazette respectively". 

Huh? There were not enough problems before, and now a false priest of moral and ethical behavior needs to muck things up even more? Phuket, known the world over as a place that offers single men a bit of TLC, in a world gone mad, and now this? Was he ordered by the FFFPA (False front fake puritanical army) to say this? Or is he simply this big a fool, unaided? Fire the goon, and make sure he never, ever gets another job in tourism. 

it was all those qualities you so eloquently describe that got him the job in tourism in the first place .....