Travel to UK

AliG

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

That hasn't started yet.

Starts soon. Trying to find info on which vaccine is approved for entry to the UK, any of them or are the Chinese versions excluded the same as the EU

3 hours ago, AliG said:

Starts soon. Trying to find info on which vaccine is approved for entry to the UK, any of them or are the Chinese versions excluded the same as the EU

The Chinese  vaccine is not excluded. No vaccine is required  anyway. The Chinese  vaccine is effective. Chinese science and technology  is very good. China has millions of non voluntary people to test their  products  on including political and religious  prisoners.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The Chinese  vaccine is not excluded. No vaccine is required  anyway. The Chinese  vaccine is effective. Chinese science and technology  is very good. China has millions of non voluntary people to test their  products  on including political and religious  prisoners.

No vaccine is required but then you would have to enter quarantine. When they allow travel to the UK from Amber list countries then you would require to be fully vaccinated to avoid quarantine. The Chinese vaccine is excluded for entry in to the EU and I cannot find any info anywhere that it is OK for entry in to the UK

59 minutes ago, AliG said:

No vaccine is required but then you would have to enter quarantine. When they allow travel to the UK from Amber list countries then you would require to be fully vaccinated to avoid quarantine. The Chinese vaccine is excluded for entry in to the EU and I cannot find any info anywhere that it is OK for entry in to the UK

There is no equivalent list currently available for entry into the UK.

If there is any consistency, then being inoculated with one of the Chinese vaccines will not be acceptable as these vaccines are not approved for use in the UK. However, consistency has sometimes been lacking so who knows? All will be revealed (or not) when the details are published next month. 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AliG said:

The details have not yet been finalised. it is expected the initial phase will only be for UK residents returning from abroad who are fully vaccinated. Thus the eligible vaccines will be those approved in the UK.

• Thanks 1

there is a big difference between 'quarantine' and 'self isolation'.

quarantine is required for red list countries, self isolation is required for amber ( this is for scotland ).

I just booked up today to travel on sunday, you must pay for 2 self test kits at home before travelling, you're sent proof of doing this with a reference number that must then be added to you PLF ( personal locator form ) and submitted online AND printed and presented at check in along with neg covid test.

a lot of the airline websites have links to what's required for wherever you're going, it's hard to not have the correct docs in order.

On 6/27/2021 at 5:03 PM, AliG said:

Its only a proposal by the media at this stage. Nothing been announced

Anyone done this recently and want to comment on the process?(UK passport, not vaccinated but that doesn’t seem to matter). Considering doing it in the next couple of weeks.

I’m aware of the gov.uk site which seems to describe the process fairly well including the requirement to isolate at home for 10 (from memory) days.

just wondered if anyone was aware of any gotchas. Swiss Air was looking good, to Manchester via Zurich.

23 hours ago, Roger That said:

Anyone done this recently and want to comment on the process?(UK passport, not vaccinated but that doesn’t seem to matter). Considering doing it in the next couple of weeks.

I’m aware of the gov.uk site which seems to describe the process fairly well including the requirement to isolate at home for 10 (from memory) days.

just wondered if anyone was aware of any gotchas. Swiss Air was looking good, to Manchester via Zurich.

I'm in the process just now - flying this weekend.  As you say, the government website is pretty good.  So far I've the Day 2 and 8 tests booked and will print out payment confirmation of this to take with me.  Covid test booked and will take a couple of copies of the results when received.  PLF will be done and printed on Thursday.

Let me know if you think I've missed anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

To the people who commented that they have just booked flights - were you planning on going or have you recently decided to go in anticipation of the impending s#@t storm that is on its way?

I've been thinking about it for a month or two, but recent developments pushed me over the edge.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

I'm in the process just now - flying this weekend.  As you say, the government website is pretty good.  So far I've the Day 2 and 8 tests booked and will print out payment confirmation of this to take with me.  Covid test booked and will take a couple of copies of the results when received.  PLF will be done and printed on Thursday.

Let me know if you think I've missed anything.

Thanks, I think I'm going to go for it.  Seems that the Covid test (in BKK) is easily available but if you're happy to share it'd be interesting to know where you will get it and how much.

I might consider finishing ending the isolation early with the 5 day early release thing but not looked at it in detail yet.

28 minutes ago, Roger That said:

Thanks, I think I'm going to go for it.  Seems that the Covid test (in BKK) is easily available but if you're happy to share it'd be interesting to know where you will get it and how much.

I might consider finishing ending the isolation early with the 5 day early release thing but not looked at it in detail yet.

Covid test in Pattaya for me - 3500 baht at Memorial Hospital.  This one seems to be popular in Bangkok (and cheaper).

https://www.medconsultasia.com/covidtesting

5 day early release is not an option for me (Scotland).  I've been checking my Finnair flights on flightradar24 and they seem quite reliable with no cancellations in the time period I've viewed.

• Like 1

I am going to be returning to UK next week. Already have international flight booked. I am in Udon but already had one flight to Bangkok cancelled, so i am concerned that due to the Covid-19 situation in Bangkok, and quarantine for those leaving Bangkok (domestic flights), that airlines may soon cancel most of the domestic flights, leaving me stranded up here (only have 2 other possible flights, neither ideal).

So, alternatives. Transfers between Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi - is there still a bus running between the airports like their used to be? Airport line, still busy? it has been 2 years since i was in Bangkok, and want to avoid spending time outside the airport.

On 6/27/2021 at 5:03 PM, AliG said:

When they allow travel to the UK from Amber list countries then you would require to be fully vaccinated to avoid quarantine. 

Travel to UK is ok within their rules. But vaccination does not count yet. For UK 10 day self isolation from Amber.
They are saying that may be about to be changed soon to allow fully vaccinated people in without quarantine.
However, as with the EU rules published a few days ago. The Vaccine MUST be on their approved list.
The EU list only has AstraZeneca version manufactured and approved in EU as Vaxzevria, not AstraZeneca manufactured in other countries. Currently a hot topic for what was produced in India.

If you are going to UK and want to know more about getting vaccinated there it may be useful to read my two posts. See
https://aseannow.com/topic/1222381-return-to-uk-for-vaccination-update/?tab=comments#comment-16613948

and recent posts on 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1223009-direct-flights-to-uk-and-amber-listed-conecting-countries/

Edited by jojothai
add info

On 7/7/2021 at 9:19 AM, rickudon said:

So, alternatives. Transfers between Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi - is there still a bus running between the airports like their used to be? Airport line, still busy? it has been 2 years since i was in Bangkok, and want to avoid spending time outside the airport.

I do not know about the buses, but the airport link from the city to Swampy is still running.
I can see it from my ASQ Hotel.
From prior experience earlier this year, it is quite busy especially in town near rush hours.

Edited by jojothai
add info

1 hour ago, jojothai said:

Travel to UK is ok within their rules. But vaccination does not count yet. For UK 10 day self isolation from Amber.
They are saying that may be about to be changed soon to allow fully vaccinated people in without quarantine.
However, as with the EU rules published a few days ago. The Vaccine MUST be on their approved list.
The EU list only has AstraZeneca version manufactured and approved in EU as Vaxzevria, not AstraZeneca manufactured in other countries. Currently a hot topic for what was produced in India.

The fully vaccinated means vaccines given by the NHS. I assume they will use the NHS covid pass.

6 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

The fully vaccinated means vaccines given by the NHS. I assume they will use the NHS covid pass.

Western countries are now starting to accept people vaccinated in other countries without Quarantine (provided they have adequate proof) but they usually specify that the vaccines used have to be approved by their own govt agency.

The USA CDC has not approved AstraZeneca, but I understand they have stated that it will be accepted for UK/EU certification.

The EU is the first clear cut case that I am aware of where acceptance of vaccination is now clearly defined. They have introduced their own vaccine passport EU wide in the last week and will similarly recognise outsiders who have been given one of the 4 approved vaccines in EU. In the UK similar rules are expected but not yet in place. 

I have not yet read any reports of what happens if you have vaccination in Thailand and travel to EU. This new regime has only just started.

There is no certainty that NHS pass will be accepted by countries outside the EU.

The EU has a common vaccination database and it is reported that they will link the UK NHS database to it.
That may help in Europe and UK but what happens elsewhere in the world?

The NHS pass does not comply with the requirements specified on the London Thai embassy website.
It does not have the passport number. The NHS state that it is supposed to be for international travel. The NHS does not seem to know what that means.  How are countries supposed to verify identity? It does not even have a photo.

There has already been one case reported of criminals being caught forging vaccination certificates.

9 hours ago, jojothai said:

Western countries are now starting to accept people vaccinated in other countries without Quarantine (provided they have adequate proof) but they usually specify that the vaccines used have to be approved by their own govt agency.

The USA CDC has not approved AstraZeneca, but I understand they have stated that it will be accepted for UK/EU certification.

The EU is the first clear cut case that I am aware of where acceptance of vaccination is now clearly defined. They have introduced their own vaccine passport EU wide in the last week and will similarly recognise outsiders who have been given one of the 4 approved vaccines in EU. In the UK similar rules are expected but not yet in place. 

I have not yet read any reports of what happens if you have vaccination in Thailand and travel to EU. This new regime has only just started.

There is no certainty that NHS pass will be accepted by countries outside the EU.

The EU has a common vaccination database and it is reported that they will link the UK NHS database to it.
That may help in Europe and UK but what happens elsewhere in the world?

The NHS pass does not comply with the requirements specified on the London Thai embassy website.
It does not have the passport number. The NHS state that it is supposed to be for international travel. The NHS does not seem to know what that means.  How are countries supposed to verify identity? It does not even have a photo.

There has already been one case reported of criminals being caught forging vaccination certificates.

I thought we was talking about entering the the UK/England without mandatory quarantine self isolation.