Steel Prices 2021

Crossy

Following on from my earlier threads

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/951062-steel-prices/

and

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1142749-steel-prices-2020/

Madam is putting up some more structures so here are some price updates from our local metal shop.

Ordered and paid 7.45AM, delivered 8.45AM. Delivery free, we spent 15,000 Baht.

All are 6m nominal lengths. 

Rectangular tube, not galvanised. 

2.0mm wall thickness.

4" x 4"            @ 1,220 Baht

4" X 2"            @ 870 Baht

1.5mm wall thickness

3" x 11/2"         @  500 Baht

2" x 2"             @  480 Baht

11/2"  x 11/2"    @  340 Baht 

8" x 8" x 6mm plates drilled for column bases @ 100 Baht.

Certainly some price increases from last year ????

• Thanks 1

Do you know what they were a year ago - for comparison purposes? I do not think the increases compare to the West - but, then again, Thailand is not incurring a building or housing boom either.

• Like 2

Interestingly while steel prices are up here they haven’t risen as much as U.K. steel. 

So as in the U.K. wood products have more than doubled in the last year and I have been using up my AB grade plywood so had only a single sheet left. I got SWMBO to call our supplier in KK, there has been no change from prices 2 years ago it’s still at ฿1,020 per 20mm sheet so I now have another 5 sheets. ???? But that means I have no, or fewer reasons, to procrastinate ???? 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dwagner said:

Do you know what they were a year ago - for comparison purposes? I do not think the increases compare to the West - but, then again, Thailand is not incurring a building or housing boom either.

Some of the sizes are the same as the earlier threads linked in the OP for comparison.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Some of the sizes are the same as the earlier threads linked in the OP for comparison.

Did you go Global house, I've not notice increases with there steel over a couple of years. 

41 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Did you go Global house, I've not notice increases with there steel over a couple of years. 

In the past we always found the small place a bit cheaper, certainly more friendly (and a shorter drive too). 

I do like to support the small places but I'll have a look next time I'm in Global.

4 hours ago, dwagner said:

Thai Business sense is  ruling all at the moment.

Less customers, spending less, so put up the prices to maintain market share.

I believe the Thai market trails the LME by about thirty days. Centers with fast turnover a little less and centers with low turnover a little more. Typically they will not  raise prices until their cost goes up, and they will not cut prices until they have unloaded all their high priced inventory. 

So if my numbers are correct, it's all between Baht 31-34.5/Kg with the 4 X 2 being the cheapest and the 2 X 2 being the most expensive. If steel prices are trending up, the 4 X 2 is the oldest stock....

Edited by Yellowtail
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Crossy said:

In the past we always found the small place a bit cheaper, certainly more friendly (and a shorter drive too). 

I do like to support the small places but I'll have a look next time I'm in Global.

Yeah understandable and buy stuff in our village if they have it but when it comes to steel it's just not prices,  you can't beat the great stocks global has in thickness also shapes and sizes in galvanized finish or Steel you can prepare and paint yourself. 

Yeah we churn through about 200ton of plate and RHS a week, steel prices have risen dramatically and it is due to China removing their steel rebate... its going to get worse when they add an export tax next quarter.

• Like 1

Yes . . . it has all to do about iron ore prices. I have all my money invested in iron ore and am on an iron ore forum everyday because iron ore is my sole means of income. Iron ore prices started sky to rocket from late 2020. It is the high grade low emmission ore that has really sky roketted. The reasons for sky rocketting iron ore prices include:

1.covid stimulus infrastructure based recovery world wide.

2. China demand for ore now greater than 1 billion tonnes annually . . . China doing massive infrastructure.

3. Strickter emmission rules in China pushing high grade ore price higher.

4. Limited availability of high grade ore. Vale in South America production affected by covid outbreaks.

I am always doing some project around the house and am very watchful of prices and I can tell you prices have gone up heaps, Global House included. I was buying some 3" x 1.5" x 1.2mm x 6m gal . . . first batch about 3 months back 340 baht, went back for more and was 420 baht then had to get a bit more 510 baht . . .  commented to the girl . . . she says price of steel going up everyday.

All I can say is that I am lucky to have my iron ore shares because they have gone from 25 cents to over 60 cents in 12 months and I am quite sure have a way ti go yet.

On 6/25/2021 at 8:22 PM, Crossy said:

2.0mm wall thickness.

4" x 4"            @ 1,220 Baht

4" X 2"            @ 870 Baht

Meanwhile, here in the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, prices are about 3x as high.  Another reason US manufacturing can't be competitive.

I want to build some teardrop trailers here in Texas, but the steel prices are outrageous.  And the prices of axles, bearings, etc. are even worse.  I miss being able to go to the Chinatown steel market and buy at wholesale even in single stick quantities.  With even more discounts in quantities. 

Out of curiosity, is that cold rolled, or hot rolled steel?

steel.jpg

10 hours ago, impulse said:

Meanwhile, here in the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, prices are about 3x as high.  Another reason US manufacturing can't be competitive.

I want to build some teardrop trailers here in Texas, but the steel prices are outrageous.  And the prices of axles, bearings, etc. are even worse.  I miss being able to go to the Chinatown steel market and buy at wholesale even in single stick quantities.  With even more discounts in quantities. 

Out of curiosity, is that cold rolled, or hot rolled steel?

steel.jpg

It's hot-roll.

You should shop around more.