Is One Rai Enough?

On 6/26/2021 at 6:19 PM, NCC1701A said:

don't underestimate how fast everything grows here and the almost constant need to be cutting and trimming everything to keep it under control.  

A mate has a 2 rai plot with about 1 rai "green".

About every two days he reports about his mowing job in the torching afternoon heat.

• Like 1

My advice would be to only buy a plot of Land that you are capable of, and happy to maintain.

As you get older, the Plot becomes much larger, and requires so much more work.

Same with the House.

If you are Minted, then this will not apply, as you can afford somebody to mend the dripping Tap, change the Light Bulb, Cut the Grass, Prune the trees Etc Etc Etc Etc.

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

We got 3 rai and its constant work keeping it under control.

As mentioned above, everything grows so damn fast.

From OP description 2 rai wouod be better, 3 is just hard work!

I have a 1.5 rai garden and I think that one rai would be better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

A mate has a 2 rai plot with about 1 rai "green".

About every two days he reports about his mowing job in the torching afternoon heat.

I have mate with a 10 rai plot. Someone spends all day once a week just cutting the grass. On a ride on mower.

I am exhausted just thinking about the Op's plans. Still, everyone needs a hobby. Just having a pool would be hobby enough for me! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Not even when you take a short one?

Oh, is there something you wish to tell us all about yourself ?

Most people would not have thoughts like that. ????

Nothing wrong with that,  but hey,

sing  if your proud to be !!!!!!!!!  ????

Edited by Orinoco

3 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I have a 1.5 rai garden and I think that one rai would be better.

About the same for me. I would never let Somchai loose on my 24,000 Baht lawnmower so it's cutting the grass about every fifth day for me.????

On 6/26/2021 at 3:26 PM, Crossy said:

It depends how much you like gardening ???? 

We have 1.5 Rai and Madam would gladly have more, she really loves anything green and we provide a home for any unwanted plants, we have over 200 trees, many fruiting (at least it's not dogs).

We have a small pool, house covers about 250m2.

Definitely living the life of Reilly  Crossy !   

This topic has me thinking. My wife owns a plot of land of about 2.5 rai. The dimensions are roughly 40 meters by 100 meters. We have 3 children together that I expect will inherit the land at some later date. My plans have been to eventually build a house and pool on half of that land where that plot would measure about 40 x 50 meters. I then thought that the other half could be divided in half again so that those plots would be 20 x 25 meters. I assumed that the smaller plots would be adequate for building a nice enough house on each of them.

The smaller plots are beachfront, so I thought that would make them potentially more desirable despite them being smaller than the large plot. Of course the large plot would need to allow for access to the smaller plots but that shouldn't reduce the size of the large plot by much. And of course there would already be a house and pool on the large plot, but compensation could be provided to account for that difference including either building the other two houses or providing additional funds for houses on them in the future.

But now I'm wondering if my plan to divide the land into 3 plots for my children is reasonable based on what others have posted here. I may have to rethink our inheritance plan.

On 6/26/2021 at 10:45 AM, KeeTua said:

Two rai would be nice but the available parcels in the 'undisclosed location' will possibly dictate the size of lot you end up with. A one rai parcel in a desirable location, good access, views, breezes etc would be better than two rai in not so desirable location but then you may need to downsize your plans some. Good luck!

I purchased 1 rai of land only last week in Korat. We slightly overpaid at 1.1m but there were other factors we took into considration and needed to be ticked.

Electricity - If the area you are buildng aint wired then you are going to have to pay a shedload to get them extend to your property

Draingage/Water - As above

Fast internet - Not important for everyone but it was for us

Cockerels - Yeah, crazy eh, but if you are living next to or near these beasts they are fricking loud in the morning

Road - We didn't want a dirt track leading to our house.

Do you need to level off the land - Additional soil is cheap but you will probably need A LOT of it.

Location - We made sure that there were plenty of local shops including Lotus fairly near.

I am going to start building next year but have planned for 4 beds, 2 WC, Mancave, kitchen & front room. If there is enough in budget then we will add a pool

Edited by Chelseafan

4 hours ago, donx said:

This topic has me thinking. My wife owns a plot of land of about 2.5 rai. The dimensions are roughly 40 meters by 100 meters. We have 3 children together that I expect will inherit the land at some later date. My plans have been to eventually build a house and pool on half of that land where that plot would measure about 40 x 50 meters. I then thought that the other half could be divided in half again so that those plots would be 20 x 25 meters. I assumed that the smaller plots would be adequate for building a nice enough house on each of them.

The smaller plots are beachfront, so I thought that would make them potentially more desirable despite them being smaller than the large plot. Of course the large plot would need to allow for access to the smaller plots but that shouldn't reduce the size of the large plot by much. And of course there would already be a house and pool on the large plot, but compensation could be provided to account for that difference including either building the other two houses or providing additional funds for houses on them in the future.

But now I'm wondering if my plan to divide the land into 3 plots for my children is reasonable based on what others have posted here. I may have to rethink our inheritance plan.

Yeah it’s reasonable . Kids in the future are going to struggle to be able to afford a house/land ! they already are in the west . It’s not like they will be living side by side with strangers is it ? They will probably use your pool just as much as you do ????

4 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I purchased 1 rai of land only last week in Korat. We slightly overpaid at 1.1m but there were other factors we took into considration and needed to be ticked.

Electricity - If the area you are buildng aint wired then you are going to have to pay a shedload to get them extend to your property

Draingage/Water - As above

Fast internet - Not important for everyone but it was for us

Cockerels - Yeah, crazy eh, but if you are living next to or near these beasts they are fricking loud in the morning

Road - We didn't want a dirt track leading to our house.

Do you need to level off the land - Additional soil is cheap but you will probably need A LOT of it.

Location - We made sure that there were plenty of local shops including Lotus fairly near.

I am going to start building next year but have planned for 4 beds, 2 WC, Mancave, kitchen & front room. If there is enough in budget then we will add a pool

Great post.

Fill-dirt is cheap in a lot of areas, but moving it is not cheap.

Edited by Yellowtail
sp
  • Like 2

On 1 rai you could easily put a house and a pool.  Some do it on much smaller lots.  Even with a fairly large house and pool you would probably have about half of it left for garden/etc...

A square rai is 40 meters x 40 meters.

It all depends on how much privacy you want.  How much you can afford and want to maintain.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 3:44 PM, Crossy said:

Not wishing to give our OP's lady any ideas but our construction thread is here ???? 

I believe you had a collection of free Thai floor plans. Are those still available and printable with all details ? ???? Actually I just need a small floor plan. 
 I don't find the link to the page that I saved it somewhere. ????

Edited by The Theory

Just now, The Theory said:

I believe you had a collection of free Thai floor plans. Are those still available and printable with all details ? ????
 I don't find the link to the page that I saved it somewhere. ????

My site (www.crossy.co.uk) died the death during a server move ???? However you can still access it on the WayBack Machine https://archive.org/web/ and the plans are still there for download. The original government site has moved or gone. There are also copies on another Thai based forum (think "hardwood portal") ???? 

You can also get books of free pre-approved plans from your local ampur office all set ready to photo-copy and build (don't forget your building permit of course). 

Provided you don't make structural changes you can tweek the design as you wish (we changed the roof and bathroom locations).

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 11:42 AM, Orinoco said:

OP, 1 Rai, Nah.

you need 1.5 or 2, 

or neighbors will be to close,

ditch swimming pool idea, to much aggro and money for upkeep.

We have 4 rai with 3 houses on it, 2 European and 1 Thai style but decent construction. We built the houses at the front of the land. The back of the land has never been developed as the brothers who come up with great ideas, never do anything or are too busy working in Bangkok, so the land remains empty.

I wanted to put a pool in our front garden at the main house but my other half said that ' You moan and groan enough about neighbors coming to the house for no reason, how you going to feel when the whole village invites themselves because you have a swimming pool and brings their kids! '

I ditched the idea.  And as you say, all the headaches of upkeep, maintenance, electric bills, etc

We have a quiet swimming pool in our area, about 1.5 miles in the car, it's not great but OK for an afternoon and if you want proper swimming in a big pool, Kalasin city, Rimpao hotel is 45 minutes away.

And all maintenance and upkeep is THEIR problem!

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, rwill said:

On 1 rai you could easily put a house and a pool.  Some do it on much smaller lots.  Even with a fairly large house and pool you would probably have about half of it left for garden/etc...

A square rai is 40 meters x 40 meters.

It all depends on how much privacy you want.  How much you can afford and want to maintain.

You are right,

In Pattaya I had a house, pool, and maids house in the garden, and car port on 150 TW.

And the house was big, the pool took up most of the rear garden with edging in plants and a shower area.

However, my neighbours were immediately adjacent to us.

On 6/26/2021 at 3:30 PM, WineOh said:

Might have to go for two rai then as the Mrs loves gardening!

1 rai is 1600 square meters. We have 2 bungalows on 2000 square meters. Footprint of 1 is 275sm, the other is 130sm. We have no pool, a 6m x 4m garage, 30m driveway. Room for gardens at the sides of the smaller bungalow, 15m x 22m garden for us out the front with 5m x 3m fish pond. More than enough garden when it's 33 degrees and 90% humidty. Watering takes upwards of 1 1/2 hours per evening when there's been no rain. Trust me when I say, I have better things to do than wander around the garden with a hose, sweating my cobs off, wondering when the water pump will run dry.

24 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I wanted to put a pool in our front garden at the main house but my other half said that ' You moan and groan enough about neighbors coming to the house for no reason, how you going to feel when the whole village invites themselves because you have a swimming pool and brings their kids! '

We have a moat (yes, actual water) plus a 2m wall and electric gates, visitors are strictly controlled except when we have a "village party" when covid finally finishes (if it ever really does) there will be a mega-party since we've not done one for a while!! 

I was thinking of a drawbridge over the moat but a few lengths of concrete culvert and some fill was cheaper ???? 

On 1.5 Rai we have a "gardener" once a week (chooks and geese actually keep the grass reasonably under control) and Madam has a maid to "help around the house" (mostly gassing with Madam whilst ironing really) every day.

And of course, I need space for my engineering projects! (I'm definitely the crazy farang husband)

With the canine security system (with camera backup) in place this Englishman's home is definitely his castle ????  

Until the power goes off and everyone arrives 'coz we have a genset and fast internet (for the kids "to do their homework") along with food and beer ???? 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You can also get books of free pre-approved plans from your local ampur office all set ready to photo-copy and build (don't forget your building permit of course). 

Provided you don't make structural changes you can tweek the design as you wish (we changed the roof and bathroom locations).

Really !! That would be great. 
my gf went to ampur office (somewhere in Nonthaburi) to obtain a building permit by my plan that was drafted by Cad, but she was told that they need all plans (plumbing, electrical, windows and...) even though the guest house will not need any address/electric/water since it will be a guest house located next to the main house. 

Is that "free pre approved plans" available at any ampre/province ?  

2 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Is that "free pre approved plans" available at any ampre/province ?  

I'm pretty sure they are, your lady should ask for the "plan books".

• Like 1