Is One Rai Enough?

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I'm pretty sure they are, your lady should ask for the "plan books".

And if you have a rough drawing of what you want, there is often someone there that will draw up a complete set and go through a few mark-ups and revisions for a reasonable price. 

Guaranteed approval....

• Like 2

Is one wife enough? It's fun thinking about what you would do with two, but at the of the day, would it really be worth the extra time, effort, expense and aggravation? I sometimes feel like I have one too many now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/28/2021 at 10:13 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

agreed, we have 3.2 rai but 1 rai is a big pond w/tilapia... and still it is a lot of work... but it is really nice too... we have a gardner/caretaker...

we have a gardner/caretaker..

Very wise move. Labor is cheap but it takes a while to find a good worker. We live on 2 rai, and have been through a dozen workers that my wife tells me were worthless. Lately we've had a 50 yr old lady that absolutely works like a trooper, unsupervised. Gets more done in 6 hrs than I can in a day. And she's not expensive, 300 baht for the 6 hrs. Be patient, you'll find someone that will work hard & that you can end up trusting.

• Thanks 1

Our house is on about 2 Rai with another 2 and a bit beside and behind. We started with 2 rai and by excavating a pool to raise the house area. SWMBO decided she wanted more so we added another 2 and a bit and another couple of pools. We have very little grass and the geese do a reasonable job. We have a good position and are unlikely to get anyone building either behind or beside us. SWMBO and her mum don’t find it’s too much. 
D7809211-0525-4642-99CE-977D93D24753.jpeg.dc79812bc64002f2de85dd5d61f6ed9e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not big enough. That is a tiny size of land if you want a homestay or similar business. 

Perhaps the cost will be too high for you to get more land. Also the cost of staff.

I would not go less that 4 rai.  A decent pool will take up a big chunk of it. 

• Thanks 1

Simple answer: Of course it's enough. All depends on what you want/are looking for and how much money and energy you want to put into it. 

I chose a 4 rai piece so that I could have some additional perimeter security. Plenty of room for house and guest house and pool. If you are in "retirement" mode, then you're going to need to factor in long term gardening help/costs. I've done it very affordably in the rural area of Thailand... for me, I would not choose to live in or near a city. I'm close enough to transport air and land that was my only consideration for location. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

True I think it just depends on the dimensions of the land . It could be a narrow but long parcel . 

Even 10 meter x 80 meter land could work well, i.e. an 8 meter wide house with two or three floors could fit 4 or 5 en-suite bedrooms, plus living area, car park, kitchen, spa, teracces and balconies; plus a 25 meter long and 5-6 meter wide pool.

My land is little under 10 meter wide, and my house is 8 meter wide...????

I bought 1400m2 in Lamphun district. It are 3 seperate plots adjecent to eachother. Bought 1 a few years ago when my wife moved to my country. Another i bought earlier this year and a month after that the 3rd plot (i didnt want other people buying it). On the other side of the soi my parents in law live. They bought their 3 plots 25 years ago as their getaway from busy BKK life where they originate. After their retirement they hardly stay in their BKK house anymore. 

We demolished a small home on our land which belonged to the previous owner that passed away (the small building you can see on the pic). We raised the land about 30 cm with normal soil and an additional 10 cm of ok topsoil (din dam). Every 3 to 5 meter around the perimeter we planted mainly flowering and a few fruiting trees. With time they will mature and provide shade and beauty for when we might live there in i hope not too many years. My wife loves water and flowers so a pond was dug on the narrowest part (top of pic) which will be a lotus pond of 10x7m.

The land is about 80 m long and on average 17 meter wide. On one side ricefields, other side a soi which basically is ours for the last 80 m.

No noisy neighbours (for now...). 

I would have loved to have more land for more trees and to keep a small zoo of animals but it would be a ton of work, so better not. 

I am happy with our little less then a rai, its enough. 

20210630_194645.jpg

Edited by MayBeNow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just my 2 cents OP - Keeping in mind this is not a 5 year plan but a 25, 35, ? year plan - How's your health? Back around our home I've seen the jungle recapture an abandon 8 floor structure covering 2 rai in less than 10 years. Pay heed to the comments on the speed of nature.

2 things to consider when picking your new land - which way have the nearest towns/villages/housing areas been growing where you're looking (goes to how much of a buffer you may/may not need/want); And, do some quick research on the flooding of 2011 that ended up covering around 80% of the entire country with water.

Building a "Granny House" (always heard it called a Mother-in-law house before) - Again, how old are you and for whom would it be intended? Might consider making it a Pool House instead for changing, bath/toilet, entertaining, etc. to lessen main house traffic.

Now, an Off-The-Cuff idea: IF runoff water can be controlled, why not consider combining container housing and the Ozzie underground dugout houses? Excavate and slab the area designated for living, place, shape and connect containers, then cover all or a portion and garden above while saving thousands in ac bills? 

Like I said, just an off-the-cuff thought but could be a cool idea. (the tunnels in Vietnam are still there) ????

9 hours ago, LNKDES1 said:

Gets more done in 6 hrs than I can in a day. And she's not expensive, 300 baht for the 6 hrs. Be patient, you'll find someone that will work hard & that you can end up trusting.

If I had a great worker like that, I'd pay her more than she could get by moving on.  Minimum wage is pretty easy to beat.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2021 at 7:58 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:
6/28/2021 at 7:04 AM, chrisandsu said:

Im only speaking about Chanote land as the rest of the titles are just a risk not worth taking . 

Nothing wrong with Nor Sor Sam ( banks will accept it as credit), same as Chanote, the only difference to my knowledge Nor Sor Sam  is measured physically and not by satellite.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Nothing wrong with Nor Sor Sam

There are several different titles that start Nor Saw Sam they are all a little different, none are equal Chanote, some people  will disagree with your statement about there being nothing wrong, others will agree. 

• Sad 1

On 6/28/2021 at 11:55 AM, Cake Monster said:

My advice would be to only buy a plot of Land that you are capable of, and happy to maintain.

As you get older, the Plot becomes much larger, and requires so much more work.

Same with the House.

If you are Minted, then this will not apply, as you can afford somebody to mend the dripping Tap, change the Light Bulb, Cut the Grass, Prune the trees Etc Etc Etc Etc.

A day never seems to go past without something needing repair. I even have to make my own 20'' mower blades as non are available anywhere.

23 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are several different titles that start Nor Saw Sam they are all a little different, none are equal Chanote, some people  will disagree with your statement about there being nothing wrong, others will agree. 

So please can you point out what is the difference is between Chanote and Nor SOR Sam 

31 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So please can you point out what is the difference is between Chanote and Nor SOR Sam 

Chanote – Nor Sor 4 (Si) – Freehold Title Deed

A Chanote title allows ownership and possession rights over the land. This is the best type of title deed if you are planning to buy land in Thailand. 

Nor Sor 3 (Sam) Kor

The land has been measured and documented by the Land Department and has exact boundaries, so it is clear what land the title covers. With a petition to the Land Department, a Nor Sor 3 title can be changed to a full Chanote title deed as long there is no opposition made against the petition. Similar to a Chanote title, the land may be sold, transferred or mortgaged.

Nor Sor 3 (Sam)

The difference between a Nor Sor 3 title deed and the Nor Sor 3 Kor is that the land has not been measured by the Land Department, so exact boundaries have not been defined. The Nor Sor 3 title can be upgraded to a Nor Sor 3 Kor and, in-turn, upgraded to a full Chanote title deed.

Nor Sor 2 (Song)

A Nor Sor 2 document entitles the holder to occupy and use the land for a temporary period of time. The land can be sold and transferred by inheritance. Depending on the land’s location, this document may be upgraded to a title deed.

Sor Kor 1 (Nung)

A Sor Kor 1 document is a notification of possession of land and entitles the holder to occupy and use the land for farming purposes. The land can be sold and transferred by inheritance. Depending on the land’s location, this document may be upgraded to a title deed.

[box type=”info”]Buying or selling real estate in Phuket? Contact us now to arrange a free consultation.[/box]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If you're unsure as to the title then publish a photo of the land paper showing the top right hand part. Someone I'm sure will get it translated. Not saying your wife, or accusing anyone else wife, but wives are not too honest when disclosing the land title. 

59 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

If you're unsure as to the title then publish a photo of the land paper showing the top right hand part. Someone I'm sure will get it translated. Not saying your wife, or accusing anyone else wife, but wives are not too honest when disclosing the land title. 

In the end , after a divorce, you loose, even 11 Rai......

3 hours ago, chrisandsu said:
Chanote – Nor Sor 4 (Si) – Freehold Title Deed

A Chanote title allows ownership and possession rights over the land. This is the best type of title deed if you are planning to buy land in Thailand. 

Nor Sor 3 (Sam) Kor

The land has been measured and documented by the Land Department and has exact boundaries, so it is clear what land the title covers. With a petition to the Land Department, a Nor Sor 3 title can be changed to a full Chanote title deed as long there is no opposition made against the petition. Similar to a Chanote title, the land may be sold, transferred or mortgaged.

Nor Sor 3 (Sam)

The difference between a Nor Sor 3 title deed and the Nor Sor 3 Kor is that the land has not been measured by the Land Department, so exact boundaries have not been defined. The Nor Sor 3 title can be upgraded to a Nor Sor 3 Kor and, in-turn, upgraded to a full Chanote title deed.

Nor Sor 2 (Song)

A Nor Sor 2 document entitles the holder to occupy and use the land for a temporary period of time. The land can be sold and transferred by inheritance. Depending on the land’s location, this document may be upgraded to a title deed.

Sor Kor 1 (Nung)

A Sor Kor 1 document is a notification of possession of land and entitles the holder to occupy and use the land for farming purposes. The land can be sold and transferred by inheritance. Depending on the land’s location, this document may be upgraded to a title deed.

[box type=”info”]Buying or selling real estate in Phuket? Contact us now to arrange a free consultation.[/box]

You are missing one of the NS3, they are NS3, NS3G and NS3K

Nor Sor Saam (3) Gor

The N.S.3.G has the same legal basis as the Nor. Sor Saam however the boundaries of the land are defined and the land is accurately surveyed in relation to neighbouring land areas (the land area parcel points are set by using an aerial survey), the right of use has been confirmed and legal acts concerning the land, such as sale, do not need to be published and it is possible to register rights against the land and subdivide the land in smaller plots.

Nor Sor Saam (3) Khor

The N.S.3.K is similar to the N.S.3 Gor however is surveyed and issued in an area which has no parcel points set by using an aerial survey. This document issued by land officer. There are no restriction for the use of the land and there is no need to publicize any legal acts, and it is possible to subdivide the land into smaller plots.”

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Never say 'never'. What's the model of your mower?

20'' single blade with an oval center hole, Bison self drive brought from Global who will not stock or order the blades. Had to also fit/adapt a Honda rip of carburetor from china with a real choke lever (coat hanger adaptation of my own) , not a rubber bulb also unavailable for that size. Starts first pull now and my blades (thanks to YouTube) are better than original. Steel is stock width.

On 6/26/2021 at 3:36 PM, Crossy said:

Here's our place on Google Maps, I've outlined the land in red (an interesting shape), house and pool pretty obvious, trees very obvious.

I think we'd struggle to get a granny house in without feeling cramped.

home.jpg.2cc64d0272d43ea91b5328aeb5f8c016.jpg

Nice.

I have 3 rai, i have a main house ( one bed only ), a nice size pool room ( den ), and a 50sqm granny flat away from main house, parking for 4 cars or combo of cars and bikes.

3 rai is very very difficult to maintain the garden, particularly during rainy season, we have to get people in to help which i'd rather not do.

1.5 rai with the same buildings i have would have done me tbh.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 10:44 AM, Crossy said:

The trees have grown a lot since this photo was taken in 2016

**** me that's a palace!!

OP just googled it and 1 rai is 1600 square meters, that's bloody enormous!

Obvs depends what you're used to....I've had some 'big houses' in the UK but the size of the plots were quite small, that's what happens when the rich steal all the land lol

1000 square meters in Europe is plenty big but some expats feel like they need to buy a field or 2 and spend all summer mowing the lawn..

I've stopped mowing the grass to help the wildlife ????