Is One Rai Enough?

next year me and the mrs are looking to buy a plot of land in an undisclosed location for our retirement.

We are planning to build a big house with pool etc..

possibly build a small home stay on the land as well.

My question is, is 1 rai big enough for all that?

or do we need more???

cheers!

Here's our place on Google Maps, I've outlined the land in red (an interesting shape), house and pool pretty obvious, trees very obvious.

I think we'd struggle to get a granny house in without feeling cramped.

home.jpg.2cc64d0272d43ea91b5328aeb5f8c016.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Here's our place on Google Maps, I've outlined the land in red (an interesting shape), house and pool pretty obvious, trees very obvious.

I think we'd struggle to get a granny house in without feeling cramped.

home.jpg.2cc64d0272d43ea91b5328aeb5f8c016.jpg

Nice place!

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Thanks, we like it ????

Not wishing to give our OP's lady any ideas but our construction thread is here 

Image00001.jpg.0f9db42b5059aee26acd164d0

Lovely house, Crossy!

Nice one mate ????

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, villageidiotY2K said:

How much was per rai? 

I've seen on korat land sale for 350kb and thinking it's not that expensive. Do land value go up in Thailand in those countryside? 

yes

• Like 1

Depending on where? Land is hard to get , 1 rai plots are even harder in desirable places and the cost is really high . 3-5 million + per rai is not unusual . By the time you build all that you mentioned you  are paying western prices for a place you don’t even own . Remember a rai Is about a 1/3rd of an acre so for the price it’s not much land . 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

1 rai plots are even harder in desirable places and the cost is really high . 3-5 million + per rai

Location, location, location. Plus, it depends on the lands title.

46 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Remember a rai Is about a 1/3rd of an acre so for the price it’s not much land

I had it calculated at .44 of an acre... 

But, yes, I think it would be really tight on 1 rai, maybe a little tight on 2 rai... 

On 6/26/2021 at 5:58 PM, villageidiotY2K said:

Do land value go up in Thailand in those countryside? 

Yes, land tends to be the best investment for Thai people as it is a steady line upwards in value... we started buying farmland near our somewhat remote village for 40,000 a rai 15 yrs ago and the same parcel is now nearly 200k a rai.. and in the meantime, the family has been farming it and making a living... 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I had it calculated at .44 of an acre... 

But, yes, I think it would be really tight on 1 rai, maybe a little tight on 2 rai... 

Yes, land tends to be the best investment for Thai people as it is a steady line upwards in value... we started buying farmland near our somewhat remote village for 40,000 a rai 15 yrs ago and the same parcel is now nearly 200k a rai.. and in the meantime, the family has been farming it and making a living... 

yes it’s  0.4 of an acre which is just over 1/3rd and under half . $100k to $150 k for semi rural land (city is way more expensive) is really expensive and more then where most of us come from for similar land . Im only speaking about Chanote land as the rest of the titles are just a risk not worth taking . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chrisandsu said:

Depending on where? Land is hard to get , 1 rai plots are even harder in desirable places and the cost is really high . 3-5 million + per rai is not unusual . By the time you build all that you mentioned you  are paying western prices for a place you don’t even own . Remember a rai Is about a 1/3rd of an acre so for the price it’s not much land . 

I initially read your post and thought 'no way', but actually, you're on the money , I still have early noughties prices (land, labour and materials) in my head. Decent property in Thailand aint cheap anymore, let alone the fact that one doesn't really own it. No bad thing tho if you're doing the right thing by one's wife and family and it's your home...............To the OP................. not that you might need it, but consider buying as much land around your home so that you can control it. Cost effective Tor Bor 5 for example can provide insulation should you feel you need it........................................

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Im only speaking about Chanote land as the rest of the titles are just a risk not worth taking . 

Top marks for that post Chrisandsu.

Tell you what is happening around where I live. People are not buying the land if it's just to build a house on. What they actually do is find someone who has Sor Por Kor land and ask them if they can build a house on their land. Obviously a sum of monies is involved and in exchange a letter will be produced signed by the person named on the title that they have gave permission for the build.

I personally only know of one case, so far, where this has happened. But my missus says it's common practice. My belief is that this is totally illegal and buyer beware. In this case it a farang and I'm somewhat hesitant to inform him. Not my plomplem.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

yes it’s  0.4 of an acre which is just over 1/3rd and under half . $100k to $150 k for semi rural land (city is way more expensive) is really expensive and more then where most of us come from for similar land . Im only speaking about Chanote land as the rest of the titles are just a risk not worth taking . 

yes, I have been floored by the comparisons in price to what rural land might cost in the USA... though I have not been back in a long time... we looked at land that was 2-3MM baht per rai, with electric to the property.. nice land, but still, expensive... not 3rd world anymore...

and yes, absolutely, I have friends who "bought" or thought they bought non-chanote land only to discover they bought nothing... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Top marks for that post Chrisandsu.

Tell you what is happening around where I live. People are not buying the land if it's just to build a house on. What they actually do is find someone who has Sor Por Kor land and ask them if they can build a house on their land. Obviously a sum of monies is involved and in exchange a letter will be produced signed by the person named on the title that they have gave permission for the build.

I personally only know of one case, so far, where this has happened. But my missus says it's common practice. My belief is that this is totally illegal and buyer beware. In this case it a farang and I'm somewhat hesitant to inform him. Not my plomplem.

My SIL has property in Pak chong , right next to it is a place called wang nam khio (spelling could be off) well that area is beautiful but it’s all national park area but the locals are still trying to sell it . The deals are great until you find out you own nothing but a piece of paper . Due diligence is certainly needed . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

yes, I have been floored by the comparisons in price to what rural land might cost in the USA... though I have not been back in a long time... we looked at land that was 2-3MM baht per rai, with electric to the property.. nice land, but still, expensive... not 3rd world anymore...

and yes, absolutely, I have friends who "bought" or thought they bought non-chanote land only to discover they bought nothing... 

in comparison I bought 5 acres (around 13 rai) an hour from Seattle in Washington state for $50000 . That was 5 years ago and now it’s worth 4 times that but even then it only works out a little over $12000 per rai which is a little over 330k per rai (in quick maths) and this has marketable timber on it right off the bat . 

Edited by chrisandsu
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

My SIL has property in Pak chong , right next to it is a place called wang nam khio (spelling could be off) well that area is beautiful but it’s all national park area but the locals are still trying to sell it . The deals are great until you find out you own nothing but a piece of paper . Due diligence is certainly needed . 

The biggest backlog in the Thai courts is land disputes. They know the rules/laws but will always try and circumnavigate them for personal gain. Not just farangs that get bit.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

We got 3 rai and its constant work keeping it under control.

As mentioned above, everything grows so damn fast.

From OP description 2 rai wouod be better, 3 is just hard work!

agreed, we have 3.2 rai but 1 rai is a big pond w/tilapia... and still it is a lot of work... but it is really nice too... we have a gardner/caretaker...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

agreed, we have 3.2 rai but 1 rai is a big pond w/tilapia... and still it is a lot of work... but it is really nice too... we have a gardner/caretaker...

Now that’s the way to go ! Get a Gardner . Depending on the shape of the land and the grade 1 rai could be enough  .