Moderna vaccine: Private hospitals will charge 1,200 baht service charge - more than 50% mark-up

webfact

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

A good reason to have laws about maximum salaries or equations e.g. Salary & benefits for most senior position cannot be more than X times salary & benefits of the lowest paid position, and this sometimes meaning that all of the final 4? positions evaluated (in terms of job size) in the lowest 4? positions lowest cannot be paid lower than a designated salary & benefits. It can be done.

It can be done, but it won't be, greed rules pretty well planetwide ????

• Like 1

So, I guess none of us are relying on our immune systems?

Millions relied on theirs and were fine. I am tired of hearing only about those that died.

Do the vast majority of you have pre-ailments and are old enough, not to rely on your immune system? A genuine question by the way. ????

• Like 1

The Vaccine roll out in Thailand is a total disgrace without any control and policies that change on hourly basis. Often it is stated Thais first but officially they "try" to give the impression that everyone living in Thailand will be vaccinated based on age etc. A big lie. In other countries I previously lived in, I would now be vaccinated with a Quality vaccine like everyone else of my age living in that country, regardless of nationality. I really tried to get a vaccine appointment, but to no avail. Get some people with skill and qualifications to administer the country instead of the Clowns that are in charge now. I attach the fantasy document that is the official Vaccine approach.????I have chosen to live here and really enjoy it, but this tragic vaccine roll out, I cannot enjoy.

Tha offical vaccine approach.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Shameless profiteering in times of a national crisis.

Money Number One. 

shameless profiteering? Now this is shameless profiteering and it's going to cost the British taxpayers over 20 billion pounds...

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-loans-idUKKBN26R3QR

Edited by from the home of CC

<Sniff sniff sniff>  Smell that baby?  That's the smell of Covid money child.  Smells good 'eh? 

Covid will never end.  Too much profit involved.  They have the public by the cajones and Big Pharma will encourage the governments to never, ever let go   "Cha-Ching!"
This is a Trillion dollar a year industry in its infancy.  Just wait until its a growing toddler with an real appetite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Thailandintervac has been open for 2 registration periods that I have seen,  21-23 Jun and 1-3 Jul.  When I was vaccinated I asked how many people they were doing a day.  They told me 950.  So assuming the other 2 hospitals were doing the same number of people.  That equates to 3 hospitals x 6 days x 950 people which equals 17,100.  I did not do the math for the original post just made a quick estimation.  Etc... is Chonburi and people that work for companies that have obtained vaccinations for their employees.  Also Chinese thru their embassy.

As to when it will open for the next round I have no idea.  But if I didn't get my vaccination already I would be checking everyday.

I was vaccinated between those dates, so there’s probably been more vaccinated. I went in the afternoon slot this week at Phyathai 2 and was number 8XX for the day. When registering (and when site was working !) you could actually see the number of doses available, which was 350 AZ for my day. I remember the number dropping in real time down to 149 AZ, when I could thankfully get a confirmed booking after several attempts. 

Chatting to a few others there on the vaccination day, the rest (500+) would have been getting Sinovac, which appeared easier to book for. 

Quite a many Thais wants to have Moderna instead of AZ due to some facebook page which is telling that you might die if you take it. If this price hike will send some of them away from Moderna queue, that's fine. We can get better queue number.

6 minutes ago, dblh said:

Quite a many Thais wants to have Moderna instead of AZ due to some facebook page which is telling that you might die if you take it. If this price hike will send some of them away from Moderna queue, that's fine. We can get better queue number.

I doubt "having to pay for Moderna" was a surprise to any Thai who pre-registered...and when pre-registering the price being quoted/talked in the media was 3800 to 4000 baht....they knew when pre-registering the Moderna jabs would not be free. 

But now the price has been set at 3,600 baht....a decrease from the expected price of 3800-4000....just gives people more incentive to follow thru with firming up reservation of Moderna jabs by paying a deposit now of around 2400 baht with another 1200 baht due when actually getting the jabs starting in Oct.

IMO those that don't follow thru by reserving Moderna jabs now (i.e., paying the required deposit now) is not because of a money concern but simply because they have had a change of mind over the last month in terms of not wanting to wait another 3 or more months to get a jab, now they can get an AstraZeneca jab where a month ago it was pretty much Sinovac or nothing, etc. 

A month ago I was in the mindset of waiting for Moderna.  Heck, my medical insurance would even reimburse 100% for any COVID vaccine so cost was zero concern.  I was even pre-registered with Thonburi Hospital Group for Moderna in October.   I was willing to wait for Moderna if Sinovac was my only choice.  But AstraZeneca is now available....probably not as effective as Moderna, but AstraZeneca is still a good vaccine, has had a full review of data, peer reviewed, etc. 

Yea, I expect most Thais (and farangs) probably want Moderna or Pfizer (i.e., a mRNA vacinne), but they know that's not going to happen anytime soon as in weeks or just a few months from now...and never for most of them if expecting a free jab paid for by the govt.   

Also, SinoPharm is now available....seems Thais don't dimly view SinoPharm like how many dimly view Sinovac.  Seems they view SinoPharm as a "good" COVID vaccine and Sinovac as "not-so-good vacinne.   Two of my close Thai in-laws are scheduled to get SinoPharm next week....they specifically wanted SinoPharm over Sinovac or AstraZeneca.   These SinoPharm jabs are free also, but normally arranged via association with a certain company/organization.

I too got tired of "waiting" for Moderna/Pfizer....so, I got my first AstraZeneca jab yesterday courtesy of the Thai govt.....2nd jab scheduled for late September (the standard AstraZeneca recommended 12 week jab sequencing).   I decided I didn't want to wait another 3 or more months to get a COVID jab....another 3 or more months of no vaccine protection in my body.    So, I went ahead and got AstraZeneca at my local private hospital which I had scheduled earlier via the Mor Prom app using my Pink ID card.  Maybe get a Moderna/Pfizer "booster" jab mid next year when booster shots will surely be the fad and most likely easily available--"On Sale" you might say.

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Shameless profiteering in times of a national crisis.

Money Number One. 

I can't believe all the people whining/whinging about the mark-up!!  ????  It's not cheap to run a hospital - tons of records to keep, gov't regulations to follow, staff to train, insurance to pay, supplies to buy, etc.  The mark-up is reasonable.  But if you don't think so, don't order it.  Me?  My wife and I put our money where our mouths are - we ordered it last month. ????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Well that's a surprise didn't see that coming, Thailand and there relentless never ending schemes to screw over the very people that put dollars into the peoples pockets, you reap what you sow

16 minutes ago, 2BOB said:

Whent to 3 mager hospitals on Chiang Mai this morning, not 1 ever heard about regestering for Moderna. Showed the email and they lheard a thing. Another Government LIE

Registration for alternate vaccines (i.e., Moderna) is really just a private hospital thing  Some will be offering Moderna; others will not. 

The govt is only involved in acting as a middleman between the private hospital and Moderna....that is, the govt and Moderna will have a contract between them to supply X-amount of doses as vaccine manufacturers only deal directly with governments at this time......the private hospital must provide funding to the govt who in turn will buy/receive the Moderna vaccine under the contract and then pass it along to the hospital that ordered/paid for it. 

The govt is not involved in people registering for Moderna....that purely between those private hospitals which plan to offer Moderna and interested customers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pib said:

But until making this 2,400 baht deposit you are not in-line to get Moderna.  To move from the "registered interest line" to the "you have reserved Moderna jabs line" requires a 2,400 deposit now.

Thanks for en-lighting me.

I paid 2400 today and was wondering about the number.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1219270-registrations-for-moderna-jab-hit-100000-on-first-day/?do=findComment&comment=16614404

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Thanks for en-lighting me.

I paid 2400 today and was wondering about the number.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1219270-registrations-for-moderna-jab-hit-100000-on-first-day/?do=findComment&comment=16614404

How is the payment ultimately made?  Did you have then do a bank transfer to THG like they gave an account number to send funds to, maybe a QR payment code....or maybe pay via LINE Pay, etc.  

EDIT:  whoops, read your link post again...see you paid via debit card.  But was debit card the only way to pay....maybe they offered other way?  I'm just curious as to the method(s) of payment THG would accept.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Thing is its a sellers market. What choice will most of us have?

Yep, we're just like smack junkies in the palms of the hands of the pusher man.

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

Charging a deposit makes sense.  That way, you won't register on 25 different lists, stiffing all but the first venue that comes up with a jab for you.

Plus, the private hospitals obviously don't want to use their own money right now to buy Moderna as supposedly the 2400 baht deposit is what the govt GPO and Moderna negotiated in their contract which is the core cost to buy 2 jabs.  

So, the 2,400 baht deposit to reserve the jabs pays to cost to buy the 2 doses of Moderna and the remaining 1200 baht (to get to 3600 baht) the hospitals are charging will be hospital administration costs/profit when they actually administer the jabs.  

Yeap, a person's 2400 baht deposit to reserve the Moderna jabs is paying the Moderna contract procurement costs upfront and the remaining 1200 baht is the hospitals' cost to administer/profit.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

The only reason i'm getting vaccinated is for the documentation that's gonna be required for travelling, there's no getting away from that.

Khao San Road has a solution...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Pib said:

But was debit card the only way to pay....maybe they offered other way?

I didn't notice another way for payment. Maybe they offer only this for non Thais?

Not sure.

Have to ask tomorrow how payment for wife, daughter and granddaughter have been done.

Can't disturb watching soap opera.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

How do you present your 'immune system' to immigration when trying to enter countries around the world.

That's the point. Around the world and even domestically.

Sure politicians say vaccination is not mandatory but be prepared for obstacles in many situations without vaccination.

-------

If one's immune system is so strong then do a Covid party, get infected and acquire the recovered certificate.

THAT WAS A BAD JOKE!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

That's the point. Around the world and even domestically.

Sure politicians say vaccination is not mandatory but be prepared for obstacles in many situations without vaccination.

-------

If one's immune system is so strong then do a Covid party, get infected and acquire the recovered certificate.

THAT WAS A BAD JOKE!

correct, more and more countires

are aaccepting fully vaxxed people.

Sure enough, Thonburi Healthcare Group (whom I had made a reservation with) "invited" me to pay a deposit for Moderna today.

As I got an appointment in the government program in the meantime, I'll probably pass and sign up for a Moderna booster at a later time.