5 Reasons to Become an Expat in Laos

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2021 at 4:13 PM, simon43 said:

I should emphasize that my comments about lifestyle only apply to living in Luang Prabang, which has a special ambience, due to its Unesco-protected status.

I would not live in Vientiane, Pakse, Savanaket if you paid me!

I am wondering about the availability of legal medications in Laos. If the hospital system is poor, perhaps medical supplies are poor too.

Laos would not interest me unless I decided on a life of celibacy, hooking up with women sounds too difficult. OTOH, in Thailand it is all too easy.

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2022 at 9:25 PM, Lacessit said:

hospital system is poor

I had noticed a few hospitals renovated in Vientiane the past few years, and a Thai hospital group opened an international hospital in that city. So, it seems, things are beginning to improve, on that front, at least in Vientiane.

On 6/26/2022 at 1:08 PM, ClaySmc said:

I had noticed a few hospitals renovated in Vientiane the past few years, and a Thai hospital group opened an international hospital in that city. So, it seems, things are beginning to improve, on that front, at least in Vientiane.

Im afraid that just because you see a new hospital, it doesn't follow that hospitals in Laos are changing.

Luang Prabang and Vientiane are quite dissimilar to the rest of the country. They cater for the ruling elite, businesses and foreigners but how good they actually are and what the cost is requires some serious, qualified research.

However just a quick visit to any regional hospital....e g. Laos second city Savanakhet will prove an eye-opener even to the most casual visitor. Anyone who can tries to make it over rhe River into Thailand. ...and Thailands healthcare leaves a lot to be desired but its still preferable to Laos.

Edited by kwilco

• 4 months later...
On 6/26/2022 at 7:08 PM, ClaySmc said:

Frankly speaking, it is not that bad. You can find very good practitioners in Vientiane. For the day to day health issue, it is good enough. If you have a major issue, and you need surgery, just cross the bridge and go to Udon Thani.

When choosing as an expat you have to try to look at least 10 years in to future where they are going to be. Looking at Cambodia and Laos now, you know China investing heavily right now, and then you know where the country is going in the future. Good luck 

• 11 months later...
On 7/3/2021 at 10:13 PM, jak2002003 said:

You are speaking for him??

I bet you have never even met the guy of spoken to him.

My post is a genuine question as I am curious to know why he would choose that life.....not allowed to own a house / condo / car / motorbike / scooter.  I would feel a bit insecure there like that. 

And if he lost his job or wanted to retire he would loose his visa and be booted out.

Sorry to jump in on this old thread, but I understand the law is still the same.

I have made enquiries regarding foreign vehicle ownership in Laos. I was told its possible - as a foreign owned company with light blue on white plates, which identifies the owner as being foreign (blue lettering) on white.

I've also seen blue on yellow, which indicates a foreign owned private vehicle.

I see no prohibition on foreign ownership of vehicles. Unless someone with recent experience can enlighten me, it seems to be possible.

However, unlike Thailand, Laos does permit financed vehicles to leave the country temporarily without special permission required from the finance company. You just need permission from the owner. 

This means a financed Lao registered car can enter Thailand or Cambodia despite still being owned by the bank.

On 7/3/2022 at 8:53 PM, kwilco said:

Im afraid that just because you see a new hospital, it doesn't follow that hospitals in Laos are changing.

Luang Prabang and Vientiane are quite dissimilar to the rest of the country. They cater for the ruling elite, businesses and foreigners but how good they actually are and what the cost is requires some serious, qualified research.

However just a quick visit to any regional hospital....e g. Laos second city Savanakhet will prove an eye-opener even to the most casual visitor. Anyone who can tries to make it over rhe River into Thailand. ...and Thailands healthcare leaves a lot to be desired but its still preferable to Laos.

Lol. Thailand has a very good Healthcare system, certainly when it comes to private hospitals.

8 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Lol. Thailand has a very good Healthcare system, certainly when it comes to private hospitals.

THat is grossly incorrect. I'm guessing it's a layman's opinion and not based on any factual evidence.

I've lived in both Thailand and Laos - and if visiting the first thing I'd do is make sure I had repatriation in my insurance.

Edited by kwilco

8 hours ago, Highlandman said:

However, unlike Thailand, Laos does permit financed vehicles to leave the country temporarily without special permission required from the finance company. You just need permission from the owner. 

Same in Thailand. - just very hard to get permission.

3 minutes ago, kwilco said:

THat is grossly incorrect. I'm guessing it's a layman's opinion and not based on any factual evidence.

I've lived in both Thailand and Laos - and if visiting the first thing I'd do is make sure I had repatriation in my insurance.

Lol. Everyone seems to agree that Thailand has a good Healthcare system and can take care of most problems.

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

Same in Thailand. - just very hard to get permission.

Yeah true but it's much more common for financed Laotian vehicles to be taken out of the country than for financed Thai ones. Might explain why there is an imbalance, especially at the Vientiane-Nong Khai border, in favor of Lao vehicles coming in to Thailand in greater numbers than Thai vehicles heading to Laos, despite Thailand's greater wealth. 60% of crossings are by Lao registered vehicles and only 40% by Thai vehicles. The ratio is more equal, or possibly slightly more in favor of Thai vehicles at other crossings, but those ones have very few vehicles crossing in general.

53 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Yeah true but it's much more common for financed Laotian vehicles to be taken out of the country than for financed Thai ones. Might explain why there is an imbalance, especially at the Vientiane-Nong Khai border, in favor of Lao vehicles coming in to Thailand in greater numbers than Thai vehicles heading to Laos, despite Thailand's greater wealth. 60% of crossings are by Lao registered vehicles and only 40% by Thai vehicles. The ratio is more equal, or possibly slightly more in favor of Thai vehicles at other crossings, but those ones have very few vehicles crossing in general.

Not sure where you get your figures from, but you'd need to get a breakdown of private V Commercial vehicles. When I lived in Laos I used a Thai vehicle but this is not a siatisfactory long term arrangement. Many local Loatian vehicles would go across fpor shoping etc. THe Thai vehicles tended to be on business or vactation therefore the frequency would be less.

Buying and renting vehicles in Laos is more expensive than Thailand too.

58 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Lol. Everyone seems to agree that Thailand has a good Healthcare system and can take care of most problems.

58 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

THe Thai healthcare system is better than Laos - most people who can afford it cross into Thailand if they get sick.

However it is extremely common for people , especially westerners to over estimate the healthcare services in Thailand - I worked in hospitals around Thailand as well as being a patient and had the misfortune to visit a hospital in Savannakhet on behalf of someone else. I wasn't prepared for the hospital in Savannakhet but I can see how people get healthcare in Thailand all wrong.