Thai Private Hospital Association reduce price of Moderna vaccine

webfact

5 minutes ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

well in your case, maybe a bottle of water?

I regard exploiting a pandemic as an opportunity to make a 50% profit as less than salubrious. It happens and I can live my life knowing it does but it still might be regarded as price gouging. 

Edited by Bluespunk

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Some seem to think this medication should be given as charity. Do you believe in free enterprise? 

Actually, some believe they should receive this medication if they pay for it, instead of seeing money roll into hospitals for a vaccine whose order contract has yet to be cleared and approved.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Of course their is customer protection. I paid a deposit and get full refund if not vaccinated this year. 

Same here ! The Udon Private guaranty came with a full refund if they can't come through before the end of the year ! 

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

My views on free market neo liberal capitalism are definitely negative but I accept that such practices are a reality I can’t change. 

However I regard exploiting a pandemic for profit as somewhat distasteful. 

I have similar views, but do you think that these private hospitals should not have a mark up? If you think it's OK for them to have a mark up to pay for their overheads and employees, etc, how much should it be? 

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Of course their is customer protection. I paid a deposit and get full refund if not vaccinated this year. 

A few lines on a hospital website does not constitute enforceable customer protection legislation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Free vaccines - of course they're not really free - are available.

If people choose to spend their money on a vaccine how is that exploitation?

3 minutes ago, SooKee said:

A few lines on a hospital website does not constitute enforceable customer protection legislation.

Agreed, but over a million Thais dropped 5 BILLION baht in one day. You can be sure that is a lobby with a powerful voice.

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

And from another thread....

I know where my deposit is staying.

BANGKOK, July 2 (TNA) – The Office of the Attorney General (OAG) never received for scrutiny any draft contract for the procurement of the COVID-19 vaccine produced by Moderna , said Prayuth Petchkhun, OAG’s deputy spokesman

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he?

Mandy Rice-Davies quote.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I have similar views, but do you think that these private hospitals should not have a mark up? If you think it's OK for them to have a mark up to pay for their overheads and employees, etc, how much should it be? 

A 50% markup for a vaccine in the midst of a pandemic is something I said might be regarded as price gouging and I’ll stand by that. C-19 is life threatening to some and to profit from it is distasteful and not something I will ever say “yeah, fair enough I guess” to. 

However it happens and will continue to do so, but that doesn’t mean it’s ok. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've seen a few but this article seems to want to stir the pot regarding the Covid vaccine. Some seem to think this medication should be given as charity. Do you believe in free enterprise? 

It is not "Free Enterprise" when western countries have donated money to Thailand for Covid-19 relief.

Aus  $68 million

US   ???

Where did the donated money go?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Free vaccines - of course they're not really free - are available.

If people choose to spend their money on a vaccine how is that exploitation?

Yep, people have the right to be exploited. Shame for those who can’t afford such a luxury eh…

3 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

This is just marketing, disappointed there are not enough fools willing to cough up for something not even ordered they 'lower;' the price to encourage them. They can add items on later when they have you over a barrel.

no they can't, 1700 baht is the maximum they could charge per jab

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

It is not "Free Enterprise" when western countries have donated money to Thailand for Covid-19 relief.

Aus  $68 million

US   ???

Where did the donated money go?

Yes it is. 

31 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

This is a private hospital. I don't see people complaining when they get their medication there that is much more than 50 % more than local chemists. 

I haven't bought any medicine from the private hospital where I go 4 times a year for a check up in about 15 years.

My wife was in the same hospital  overnight with shingles and she wanted to check out and go home. We had to wait nearly 3 hours until the doctor turned up from his other job at the state hospital. His recommendation was another 24 hour stay.

I pointed out that the choice was not his to make. It took early another hour to get a bill printed and I went bat<deleted> crazy as it was over 12k baht including Tylenol at 18 baht per tablet. The cost in any pharmacy is 100 thb per tub of 100 tablets.

I told them that I had 8k thb and take it or leave it. If you take the 8k we walk out, if you don't you can take care of my wife at your expense for as long as you like.

They chopped off the bill for the medications, I paid the 8k thb and my wife who was cringing in the corner away from me, and I went home. Then she found out that the insurance wouldn't pay the bill for her overnight stay.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

My views on free market neo liberal capitalism are definitely negative but I accept that such practices are a reality I can’t change. 

Read this article https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1384867/sinovac-jabs-varying-prices-raise-alarm

not just the private Hospital Association using a bit of free market here. But like anything you have a choice, and can vote with your feet. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SooKee said:

I've had a couple of mails from hospitals with a price of 3,300-3,400 (excluding doctor fees) with vaccines to arrive between the end of October '21 and March '22.  I wouldn't mind the pricing SO much if you could just walk in, get vaccinated and pay.  But pay up front, in Thailand, with its level of consumer protection (e.g. none), for vaccines that MIGHT arrive at some time over the next 8 months, with undeclared fees (other) to pay on top and with the constant (like hourly) changes here just makes it too much of a risk IMO.  If you end up having to wait 4-6 months who knows what the vaccine situation will be by then and what other options will be available.  It's a <deleted> shoot of course but with the absence of more robust guarantees I think I'll take my chances.

Me also I’ll  Pay when it’s there being put in my arm, not before, 

• Like 2

they should be ashamed of their greed ????????

https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/moderna-covid-19-vaccine

Intramuscular Suspension

100 mcg/0.5 mL Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine intramuscular suspension
from $9.51 for 50 milliliters

Quantity Per unit Price
50 (10 x 5 milliliters) $0.19 $9.51
70 (10 x 7 milliliters) $0.14 $9.51

Important: When there is a range of pricing, consumers should normally expect to pay the lower price. However, due to stock shortages and other unknown variables we cannot provide any guarantee.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Yep, people have the right to be exploited.

You're weird.

So this is self-exploitation? Is that even a thing?

People are free to spend their money however they wish.

25 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Shame for those who can’t afford such a luxury eh…

So now you're lamenting the fact that people can't be exploited? 

Make up your mind.

Or that Moderna is a "luxury"?

Do you live in a cave?

Again, that is just plain weird.

14 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I haven't bought any medicine from the private hospital where I go 4 times a year for a check up in about 15 years.

I have told them my family owns a drug store so I don't want it, just tell me the name of it.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

why are we being excluded from their vaccine rollout,

Because they don't give a <deleted> about us and neither do our own governments. If they (our own governments) did, they would be putting pressure on all countries around the world to include us in vaccination schedules. 

As long as we keep bringing in money, nobody cares. 

I can just imagine the headlines, here and at home, if a single minority was excluded, made to wait or ignored! 

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1