Thai Private Hospital Association reduce price of Moderna vaccine

webfact

12 minutes ago, Khun Yogi said:

l think you are wrong there. All my friends complain about the price of meds at private hospitals, so we go to Pharmacy wholesalers. In many cases, half the price of private hospitals!!!!!

Before a couple of years ago, they were 300-900% more than normal outside pharmacies. 

Due to regulations made then, making the hospitals show their prices and give patients the choice as to buy or not, this practice has been stopped. However, they are still much more expensive, around 50% more. But you can buy the drug much cheaper if you want the made in Thailand ones.

33 minutes ago, Autonuaq said:

Not sure if you are completely correct.

The total is 3400 including coinsurance and all hospital fees.

Down payment is 1200 when you book

You have to verify your id

You get SMS and within 7 days the appointment.

Fist visit you pay the missing 500 thb

The next visit you pay 1700with the 3400 the all is covered.

The 3400 was first 3800 and if this article is correct now will be 2200.

All included (vaccine, administering, insurance, certificate)

Average price in the west for one jab is somewhere between the 10-16 euro including all

Rather than assume that someone is not 'completely correct' it might be better to check the facts first. While the information you post may well be correct for the hospital that you refer to, there is more than one hospital taking registrations.

One of the hospitals that contacted me quoted EXACTLY the T&C as I posted, that's why I posted them.  The requirements of THAT hospital ARE:

3,300 paid in full - now

Does not include doctor fees

Vaccine to arrive between end October '21 and end March '22

So, actually my information is 100% correct thank you, it's you assuming that I am referring to the same hospital as you that is incorrect. 

Edited by SooKee
  • Confused 1

The articles says, "People started registering and possibly paying on July 1st so that each hospital would know how many supplies to order by the start of August."  So if the purpose of the registration is so that hospitals know how much to order, why are we being told that registrations are full?  Either they've been given quotas or they haven't.

• Like 1

The font of stupidity in this thread is really jaw-dropping in its magnitude. What seems to have completely escaped the minds of those talking of the free enterprise system and the right of private hospitals to make a profit is the fact WE'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF A GLOBAL PANDEMIC. This is a deadly virus whose current Delta variant is far more contagious and quickly spreading, sickening countries who thought they were safe. With continued and likelier worse mutations a real possibility, anything short of a total worldwide treatment effort with EFFECTIVE vaccines could truly have existential consequences.

One of the essential purposes of modern PUBLIC HEALTH is to prevent and combat exactly this kind of infectious disease. And it's in the basic self-interest of any country (or economy) to have a healthy population if it hopes to grow and prosper. So you can dream all you want your libertarian dreams of free enterprise and profitable private hospitals, but nothing will come of it when so many become sick or are dying. Effective vaccine distribution *IS A PUBLIC HEALTH AND GOVERNMENTAL RESPONSIBILITY* including the bearing of all costs. The world is in a truly threatening time now and the speed of these more harmful mutations in both their evolution and spread should once and for all bring a reality check to those still doubting the seriousness of this.

For me personally, I would easily and gladly (almost) pay 5000 baht or more if I could just walk into a hospital or clinic tomorrow and get a Moderna shot. I actually even registered a month ago for one through the Thonburi Hospital Group LINE interface, but have not yet gotten a reply (though my girlfriend has). But at this point, after all the reports of delivery delays, shipment changes, contracts somehow still not signed -- all in addition to this nickel and diming over the price -- has made me now feel 'the hell with it' I'll just wait until it's actually here and available to sign up. I've already had my first AstraZeneca shot because I wasn't about to wait until October (at best) for a Moderna.

But again, my personal ability to have these choices is NOT how PUBLIC HEALTH should function if we care about our survival. Climate Change has also often been called an existential threat, but it continues to be just slow and long term enough to make the deniers believe they have credence. Covid-19 is in some ways a similar threat, but this time (as others have also observed) the time scale is now so compressed that its reality is truly before us.

Edited by Lodestone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Wait a week. Another article about some fee or price increase.

The price will be the absolute maximum. Then add the hospital fees. Do you want it or not???

All quite disingenuous considering there's no vaccines!

Price is all-in.

11 minutes ago, Presnock said:

US was 30 million USD plus access to the vaccines produced in the US

The U.S. Government has donated $30 million in total COVID-related assistance to Thailand. This includes $17.5 million in ventilators, respirators, surgical masks, goggles, and other protective equipment to Thai doctors and nurses, plus assistance to support refugees in border camps.

https://th.usembassy.gov/fact-sheet-u-s-support-for-thailand-to-beat-covid-19/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Rinrada said:

By all account on other parts of the Forum it appears that the contract to buy the Moderna Vacs has not even been ratified yet...ie signed off and suggests that wont happen until at the earliest August...so...maybe around Xmas time...eh..o dear..

Never mind all that but bare in mind you must pay now if you want to be included.............ka ching!

If there is a prolonged delay the risk increases that the current vaccines won’t be as effective due to all the new variants emerging. Pharmaceuticals/ Governments will need to be very dynamic in the years ahead. I therefore wouldn’t pay regardless of the price/profiteering   

• Like 1

This is all still boring the <deleted> off me. 

Why do we even get engaged with all the horse manure that comes our way? Things change weekly, sometimes even daily. I think I should get a life, what's left of it, before I die of covid, through not being vaccinated here.

Time to wash the dishes and water the garden and feed the dog and nap before the football starts later tonight.

• Like 1

Off topic posts and the replies have been removed. 

A post with unsubstantiated information has been removed:

• if you don’t believe this information check it out for yourself ASAP. 

Please provide a link to the source of information when posting. 

Edited by metisdead

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

This is a private hospital. I don't see people complaining when they get their medication there that is much more than 50 % more than local chemists. 

They DO complain and so much that the Govt had to step in and require them to post their prices to allow comparison and to allow people to buy outside of the hospital pharmacy 

35 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

we are animals, if it wont harm a chicken or a dog it's not going to do a human any damage, but pay over the odds if it makes you think it works any better, if at all.

I'll check it out -  thanks.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai Private Hospital Association has been forced to change the price of their Moderna jabs yet again.

Just another Thai fiasco... can they ever do anything simple?

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Just another Thai fiasco... can they ever do anything simple?

From watching the news from UK and USA, I feel it's(the whole pandemic situation) much simpler here than there. 

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I've seen a few but this article seems to want to stir the pot regarding the Covid vaccine. Some seem to think this medication should be given as charity. Do you believe in free enterprise? 

In the US every one citizens, tourists , illegal aliens  all get the shots for free.  And the Thai Government said earlier that shots for farang and Thai wouldbe free unless you were buying from Private Hospitals when available a nd those shots were supposed to be at cost. Not jacking up the price to make a large profit.

4 hours ago, SooKee said:

I've had a couple of mails from hospitals with a price of 3,300-3,400 (excluding doctor fees) with vaccines to arrive between the end of October '21 and March '22.  I wouldn't mind the pricing SO much if you could just walk in, get vaccinated and pay.  But pay up front, in Thailand, with its level of consumer protection (e.g. none), for vaccines that MIGHT arrive at some time over the next 8 months, with undeclared fees (other) to pay on top and with the constant (like hourly) changes here just makes it too much of a risk IMO.  If you end up having to wait 4-6 months who knows what the vaccine situation will be by then and what other options will be available.  It's a <deleted> shoot of course but with the absence of more robust guarantees I think I'll take my chances.

Which hospitals are sending these emails? Not Bumrungrad and THG have already closed their registration.

1 minute ago, Tony125 said:

In the US every one citizens, tourists , illegal aliens  all get the shots for free.  And the Thai Government said earlier that shots for farang and Thai wouldbe free unless you were buying from Private Hospitals when available a nd those shots were supposed to be at cost. Not jacking up the price to make a large profit.

In the US, everyone has to pay for health treatment unlike here where they have the 30 baht scheme and social security. 

There is private health care for those who want to pay, don't you think that is a good idea?

• Confused 3

5 hours ago, Rinrada said:

By all account on other parts of the Forum it appears that the contract to buy the Moderna Vacs has not even been ratified yet...ie signed off and suggests that wont happen until at the earliest August...so...maybe around Xmas time...eh..o dear..

The GPO today hastily ordered the Moderna as another Gov,t Agency said they had never received a request to order from the GPO.

What is wrong with these Clowns ?

There is a Global Pandemic, and a national Crisis, and all they can do is try to score points against each othe.

Truly Infantile and pathetic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Me too, but many don't understand what these hospitals have to do to get the vaccine -  lots of ' negotiation'. 

From previous post on TV earlier today----the Gov hasn't even signed a contract to order Moderna yet.

The problem with the vaccines is not the price for most of us. The problem is the government's failure to focus on securing it. Had the government not inserted the GPO as a middle man - even though it is not making money from the process - the Private Hospital Association of Thailand would most likely have started receiving supplies already. But, as we all know, TiT

David

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Of course their is customer protection. I paid a deposit and get full refund if not vaccinated this year. 

Maybe you ,but last few days there have been posts on the news that hospitals do not refund so geuss not everybody is as lucky as you . Today my Thai friend told me if they not.refund they might give you services at the amount of the money you deposited so i asked her if you can get your nails done instead or if they had some private massage services at those private hospitals that do that ????

• Like 1