Thai Private Hospital Association reduce price of Moderna vaccine

webfact

5 hours ago, berrec said:

Yep, I ordered this on Lazada last week; expected delivery in a 5 to 10 days..............it's mainly out of India and China ......so lots of options to choose from!

Well it's really helping those in India huh

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I woder if I'll get a refund for the  difference from the 3,800 baht we paid two weeks ago.

I was prepared to pay much more. So not to worried and glad I got in line as there sold out of pre orders.

I definitely don't want the Chinese garbage and even the Astra Zeneca made in Thailand.  I don't trust a COVID-19 vaccine made here.  They take to many shortcuts in everything they make here.  I probably couldn't get one anyway if I wanted with all the delays.

Maybe the ones they made here are made with meth and caffeine , used all the yaba they impounded . Wow will be a hell of a ride ???????? better then a bloodclot and maybe wanting more then 2 shots ???? i'm sure many Thai won't be scared to take it as well then . 

https://www.businessinsider.com/cost-pfizer-astrazeneca-moderna-vaccine-eu-revealed-belgian-mp-2020-12

Here's the price list shared by De Bleeker:

• Oxford University and AstraZeneca: $2.18 (1.78 euro)
  • Johnson & Johnson: $8.50
  • Sanofi and Glaxo Smith Klein: $9.27 (7.56 euro)
  • Pfizer and BioNTech: $14.71 (12 euro)
  • CureVac: $12.26 (10 euro)
  • Moderna: $18

Moderna's vaccine, developed in Massachusetts, received $2.5 billion in funding from the White House and will cost 20% more in Europe, the Guardian said.

It costs $15 in the US, but $18 in Europe. 

So $18 is 578,27 Baht
    Why the privat thai hospitals must pay 1100 Baht = $34,24 per Shot?
    1100 Baht  - 578 Baht = 522 Baht * 4.000.000 Shots = 2.088.000.000 Baht Difference
    Do not tell me that the difference are the transport costs.

Edited by tomacht8

47 minutes ago, seajae said:

wife paid for our shots yesterday, apparently the private hospitals have to donate a set percentage of the moderna vaccine for charity  so that the poor are also able to get shots as well

Was there any mention of availability/inoculation dates?

• Like 1

I have been trying for more then two months to requester whit the larges hospital next work in Thailand more 34 hospitals under their management . The sub group which has more then seven in Thailand,  say that Bangkok branch with 7 different buildings  can take any registration yet because the government has not told them anything? The other branch's in Pattaya and Cha Mai  Putt Kat and other branch's have all book up for Oct and not making anymore registration Some Thing smell's here and and its not a good smell! The Bangkok Branch needs to tell more then That the government has not told them anything.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I've seen a few but this article seems to want to stir the pot regarding the Covid vaccine. Some seem to think this medication should be given as charity. Do you believe in free enterprise? 

I believe in free enterprise and as long as this virus is spreading, 20% of the free enterprise economy that depends on tourism is screwed, so it would make sense for the government to get its act together and give the vaccinations free to everyone willing to get it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I don’t drink, so I’ve never bought a bottle of wine in a restaurant. 

However just because such wide spread practices are happening elsewhere it doesn’t make it right to do so with vaccines. 

I get that it happens and will continue to do so, but that doesn’t change the fact some might consider a 50% mark up as price gouging. 

Simple..... don't buy it then! Problem solved. 

8 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/cost-pfizer-astrazeneca-moderna-vaccine-eu-revealed-belgian-mp-2020-12

Here's the price list shared by De Bleeker:

• Oxford University and AstraZeneca: $2.18 (1.78 euro)
  • Johnson & Johnson: $8.50
  • Sanofi and Glaxo Smith Klein: $9.27 (7.56 euro)
  • Pfizer and BioNTech: $14.71 (12 euro)
  • CureVac: $12.26 (10 euro)
  • Moderna: $18

Moderna's vaccine, developed in Massachusetts, received $2.5 billion in funding from the White House and will cost 20% more in Europe, the Guardian said.

It costs $15 in the US, but $18 in Europe. 

So $18 is 578,27 Baht
    1100 Baht  - 578 Baht = 522 Baht * 4.000.000 Shots = 2.088.000.000 Baht Difference
    Do not tell me that the difference are the transport costs.

The difference are the transport costs.

8 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

This is a good question, best directed to:

the government (they injected themselves into the process)

GPO

Zuellig

Moderna

but a short answer would be econ 101 + corruption:

econ 101 - supply and demand

corruption - institutionalized, and refined to an art here

I pay 1,300 baht for an annual flu shot here. Yes, some can get it for free, some pay as little as 300 baht.

A lot of imported items are expensive here owing to high taxes (VAT, Excise) and Duty.

Why ask questions? Just queue for Sino-xxx, or AZ which are free.

1 hour ago, Wullie Mercer said:

Wher to register??

I was at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital yesterday 4/7/21 to register for vaccine starting in October. I was told registration is full, not taking anymore names. Can only assume that price has not been a problem.

do it online -  https://www.thg.co.th/en/investor-relations/newsroom/press-releases/280/thg-teams-with-kbtg-in-unveiling-digital-platform-for-alternative-vaccine-registration

20 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

My views on free market neo liberal capitalism are definitely negative but I accept that such practices are a reality I can’t change. 

However I regard exploiting a pandemic for profit as somewhat distasteful. 

What exploitation?, the vaccine rollout is free.

The rollout is a government initiative, not really anything to do with private hospitals. If people want to turn their backs on the government and try and chase some alternative arrangement then they must be prepared for the consequences of that action.

It should be remembered that in many countries the only choice is take it or leave it.

21 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What exploitation?, the vaccine rollout is free.

The rollout is a government initiative, not really anything to do with private hospitals. If people want to turn their backs on the government and try and chase some alternative arrangement then they must be prepared for the consequences of that action.

It should be remembered that in many countries the only choice is take it or leave it.

Nothing you say changes the fact that some might consider 50% markup as price gouging.

That is the point I was making in my post. 

Edited by Bluespunk

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nothing you say changes the fact that some might consider 50% markup as price gouging.

That is the point I was making in my post. 

The elitist view of going private takes away any relevance.

You tried to emphasise the point in respect to covid vaccine, why would that be different to flu vaccine when many of the whingers have been happily paying the inflated price for years on end.

At the end of the day, your so called "price gouging" is promoted by those that feed the beast.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The elitist view of going private takes away any relevance.

You tried to emphasise the point in respect to covid vaccine, why would that be different to flu vaccine when many of the whingers have been happily paying the inflated price for years on end.

At the end of the day, your so called "price gouging" is promoted by those that feed the beast.

I was actually quoting the OP which talked about price gouging.

My views on private healthcare are somewhat left of left of centre, but that’s another issue. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 12:14 PM, SooKee said:

I've had a couple of mails from hospitals with a price of 3,300-3,400 (excluding doctor fees) with vaccines to arrive between the end of October '21 and March '22.  I wouldn't mind the pricing SO much if you could just walk in, get vaccinated and pay.  But pay up front, in Thailand, with its level of consumer protection (e.g. none), for vaccines that MIGHT arrive at some time over the next 8 months, with undeclared fees (other) to pay on top and with the constant (like hourly) changes here just makes it too much of a risk IMO.  If you end up having to wait 4-6 months who knows what the vaccine situation will be by then and what other options will be available.  It's a <deleted> shoot of course but with the absence of more robust guarantees I think I'll take my chances.

Why can't certain people just be honest and quote the price you have to pay without add ons? As well as private hospitals, you have some restaurants, hotel bookings etc, quoting a price with the small print where you don't notice it until you look for it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wullie Mercer said:

Wher to register??

I was at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital yesterday 4/7/21 to register for vaccine starting in October. I was told registration is full, not taking anymore names. Can only assume that price has not been a problem.

I would think the price has been a problem. BPH want more. 

On 7/3/2021 at 1:23 PM, Neeranam said:

Only on Thai visa can you find people complaining about hospitals reducing their prices! 

...."reducing" from an already excessive overcharge

Hospitals are showing themselves to be interested only in charging close to the maximum possible with no commitment on their part.

Already the October timeline is being translated into into end October 2021 to March 2022. Who would want to pay up in advance for this kind of deal without any chance of refund if the hospital fails to deliver as "promised" ?

On 7/3/2021 at 6:12 AM, Bluespunk said:

The EU is not governed by one body. Individual nations within it participate in it’s  decision making process but also retain sovereignty and are free to choose their own policy on issues such as who they decide is eligible to receive vaccinations.

Health provision is usually one of the areas that is largely an issue for member states so you're right about this. That's not to say the EU couldn't try to coordinate on this but it might take too much time.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 11:43 AM, smedly said:

just wait until Thai government gets free supplies of vaccines from the west and still refuses to vaccinate us under their rollout program and that would be additional to already donated millios of dollars - do they realise that we are part of the funding for these donations

why are we being excluded from their vaccine rollout, why is the government not distributing the vaccines

I have had my AZ as have several of my expats friends.

We have also been provided with dates for the second shot in twelve weeks time.

7 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I have had my AZ as have several of my expats friends.

Good for you, and your friends. Youll be fully vaccinated in another ~ 8+ weeks, assuming there are second doses being distributed then. The government may choose to vaccinate more people with one shot, and let the second shot wait.

Primary registration site for foreigners is intervac; been down for what, three weeks.

Yes, some foreigners got through intervac early, mor prom, pink card, socsec, work.

Haven't heard of any others getting appointments recently. Specifially older, nonworking foreigners. I have heard of employees getting appointments, Sinipharm and Sinovac mostly.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Good for you, and your friends. Youll be fully vaccinated in another ~ 8+ weeks, assuming there are second doses being distributed then. The government may choose to vaccinate more people with one shot, and let the second shot wait.

Primary registration site for foreigners is intervac; been down for what, three weeks.

Yes, some foreigners got through intervac early, mor prom, pink card, socsec, work.

Haven't heard of any others getting appointments recently. Specifially older, nonworking foreigners. I have heard of employees getting appointments, Sinipharm and Sinovac mostly.

We didn't need to register online but at the local hospital.

At least one shot is better than no shot.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

At least one shot is better than no shot.

Yes, as long as you didn't prevent some older at-risk Thai from getting their vaccination.

17 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

We didn't need to register online but at the local hospital.

Again, good for you. This option is not available to many, and certainly not foreigners now given the extreme shortage of vaccines.

• Thanks 1