New desktop

sometime

Biting the bullet and going for a new desktop computer next week, the question is what make to go for that is the most reliable, the last one locally built 5 years ago, needed new mother board, power supply & the graphics card failed.

So with all your knowledge what is the best make to go for, what I need in a PC is below

CPU : AMD RYZEN 5 4600G
RAM : 8 GB DDR4 U-DIMM
STORAGE : 1 TB 7200 RPM 3.5" HDD
VGA : AMD RADEON GRAPHICS (INTEGRATED)

CPU : INTEL CORE I5-10400
RAM : 8 GB DDR4 2666MHz
STORAGE : 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD
VGA : INTEL UHD GRAPHICS (INTEGRATED)

What do intend to use the PC for?

For simple everyday use such as email, YouTube and word processing both would be "ok" but both would also benefit massively from an SSD for the system drive. 

Is the RAM a single stick?  2 8GB sticks would be much better.

You will need to give much more information about your actually needs/use/budget for anyone to help you properly.

Never cripple a new PC with HDD, waste of everything else you're buying. If you need somewhere to store your vast collection of HD torrents or family movies then you add an additional HDD as a second drive or partition however your want. your OS, applications, doucments, swap, and working data should be on SSD. Yeah as JaiMaai says minimum 16gb nowadays, its what an extra 1500baht?

Edited by asiam110
  • Like 2

Get at least a 256GB nvme SSD (make sure that the motherboard has a slot for it), that's enough for windows, programs and the basics, and will make your PC way faster. If you need to store a lot of data you can use the HDD for this.

Ryzen usually offers more performance for the price, so I would go for this.

16GB or 8GB depends on the software that you use, if it's only some browsing and office stuff or similar 8GB is enough, you can of course always upgrade later if the need arises.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

Hi,

Not that much difference between the two systems, as others said get an SSD too it will greatly enhance your computer its speed.

If you use it only for office then this is good enough if gaming you need a better VGA card then intergrated.

Just want to echo the above: for God’s sake, get an SSD. Huge, huge difference.

If you want reliability, either pick ALL the parts and assemble it yourself (or get someone to do it for you) or go with one of the big brands who have an incentive to provide a device that will not fail under warranty.

There are no guarantees of course, but if you just give a vague spec to a PC builder they will cheap out wherever possible, especially on things like the power supply, which is a very important part of a PC.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 5:49 AM, sometime said:

CPU : AMD RYZEN 5 4600G
RAM : 8 GB DDR4 U-DIMM
STORAGE : 1 TB 7200 RPM 3.5" HDD
VGA : AMD RADEON GRAPHICS (INTEGRATED)

I just built one yesterday .........

Ryzen 5 3400G, 16GB Aorus DDr4 3200 memory, Gigabyte B450M Aorus elite MB, Gamemaster Pro 700w PSU, Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD My Passport USB3 HD, Oker K9300 wireless KB+Mouse.

All from Lazada, just under 18KBht.

What would I change ....... the Wraith CPU cooler that came with the Ryzen ain't that great.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I just built one yesterday .........

Ryzen 5 3400G, 16GB Aorus DDr4 3200 memory, Gigabyte B450M Aorus elite MB, Gamemaster Pro 700w PSU, Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD My Passport USB3 HD, Oker K9300 wireless KB+Mouse.

All from Lazada, just under 18KBht.

What would I change ....... the Wraith CPU cooler that came with the Ryzen ain't that great.

Just out of interest, Whats wrong with the stock cooler? 

NUC or ASUS mini. Decide on your CPU. Put what RAM, M2 & SSD you want in it. No heat or fan worries. 

Uses less than 80 watts of power.

Edited by KannikaP

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Gamemaster Pro 700w PSU

I recommend investing a bit more in a PSU, the cheap ones sometimes just die and take other components with them.

Doesn't have to be a 4000THB one, but at least one from a known brand with some kind of "80 plus" certification, then you know it has a certain level of build quality. Without a big graphics card even a 450 watt one is more than enough.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I recommend investing a bit more in a PSU, the cheap ones sometimes just die and take other components with them.

Doesn't have to be a 4000THB one, but at least one from a known brand with some kind of "80 plus" certification, then you know it has a certain level of build quality. Without a big graphics card even a 450 watt one is more than enough.

Please Jack, why does a tower PC need bloody great power supply giving out different voltages and loads of wires & plugs, whereas a laptop or NUC needs only a 19 volt external brick. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Please Jack, why does a tower PC need bloody great power supply giving out different voltages and loads of wires & plugs, whereas a laptop or NUC needs only a 19 volt external brick. Thanks.

I told you the reason in my first sentence already. You can just put something like "using cheap psu" into Google to find a lot more information.

I also didn't say he needs a "great" power supply, I just recommended to not get the cheapest no-name stuff.

After a quick look on JIB there is for example the "Corsair CV450, 80 Plus Bronze", for 1390THB, which is probably a reasonable PSU. When spending 18k on a PC, the extra 700THB won't break the bank.

Edited by jackdd

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I told you the reason in my first sentence already. You can just put something like "using cheap psu" into Google to find a lot more information.

I also didn't say he needs a "great" power supply, I just recommended to not get the cheapest no-name stuff.

After a quick look on JIB there is for example the "Corsair CV450, 80 Plus Bronze", for 1390THB, which is probably a reasonable PSU. When spending 18k on a PC, the extra 700THB won't break the bank.

That didn't answer my serious question.

Edited by KannikaP

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

That didn't answer my serious question.

I assume that Intel has some reasonable quality control for the components that they use, some random Chinese company selling a 700THB PSU not necessarily.

The PSU in a NUC is also divided in two parts. You have the AC-DC converter and down regulator to 19V externally, and then there are further DC-DC regulators inside the NUC, to produce the voltages required by the different components (12v, 5v, 3.3v and so on)

Even if you swap the external one for a <deleted> one, the proper quality internal PSU components are still in place.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

I assume that Intel has some reasonable quality control for the components that they use, some random Chinese company selling a 700THB PSU not necessarily.

The PSU in a NUC is also divided in two parts. You have the AC-DC converter and down regulator to 19V externally, and then there are further DC-DC regulators inside the NUC, to produce the voltages required by the different components (12v, 5v, 3.3v and so on)

Even if you swap the external one for a <deleted> one, the proper quality internal PSU components are still in place.

Same as with all laptops I guess.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

I've  never had a problem with the cheap PSUs.

As long as the label on the advertising matched the label on the PSU they worked.

For some reason all the 'known' brands are horribly overpriced in Thailand.

700bht for 700W was a good deal IMHO.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

You could say the same for every component.

Why buy the Ryzen 3400G (5k7) when a Ryzen 2600 (4k5) + RX570 graphics card (18k) will be faster ..... answer +9kbht

Why buy the 450M m/b (2k7) when the 570M (10k) is newer ......... answer + 7k3bht

For the PSU .......... I prefer to pay 600bht less.

And I've never had any problems with many cheaper PSUs over the past 30 years of building computers.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You could say the same for every component.

Why buy the Ryzen 3400G (5k7) when a Ryzen 2600 (4k5) + RX570 graphics card (18k) will be faster ..... answer +9kbht

Why buy the 450M m/b (2k7) when the 570M (10k) is newer ......... answer + 7k3bht

For the PSU .......... I prefer to pay 600bht less.

And I've never had any problems with many cheaper PSUs over the past 30 years of building computers.

Fair enough. But if you’re unlucky and your PSU blows, it could take one or several components with it.

7 minutes ago, Roger That said:

Fair enough. But if you’re unlucky and your PSU blows, it could take one or several components with it.

Rolls Royces CAN break down!    LOL

37 minutes ago, Roger That said:

But by buying the cheaper mobo (2k6 Vs 10k) I can afford to be unlucky 4x before taking a hit.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But by buying the cheaper mobo (2k6 Vs 10k) I can afford to be unlucky 4x before taking a hit.

Apples and Oranges? Nobody here recommended buying a mobo for 10k.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the input, although most was over my head, now typing this from my new PC.

I don't like buying PCs/ tablets online had problems a few times so I went to JIB computers, didn't have what I wanted.

But he did have a Lenova 4000 series with  Ryzen 5  and a 1TB HDD but he offered to upgrade with a 250GB SSD for a little bit more, might consider a bit more RAM in the future

Untitled.jpg

On 7/7/2021 at 11:57 AM, sometime said:

Thanks for the input, although most was over my head, now typing this from my new PC.

I don't like buying PCs/ tablets online had problems a few times so I went to JIB computers, didn't have what I wanted.

But he did have a Lenova 4000 series with  Ryzen 5  and a 1TB HDD but he offered to upgrade with a 250GB SSD for a little bit more, might consider a bit more RAM in the future

Untitled.jpg

No such animal. You are probably referring to a Lenovo IdeaCentre 5.

Likely this one: LENOVO IDEACENTRE 5-14ARE05-90Q3002WTA