To tuk tuk or not to tuk tuk

trent1970

7 hours ago, trent1970 said:

But am also hoping to travel safe and smart.

A 3 wheeled vehicle in a busy city is not as safe or as smart as a regular GrabCar... 

Use GrabCar (not GrabTaxi) and use an FFP3 Mask don’t touch anything in the car, use your sanitiser etc.

Consider the FFP3 mask for at the whole journey if you are that worried. 

IF you are so worried about being in a confined environment have all the windows open (good luck getting the driver to do this though !).

IF you have been vaccinated already, and if you are 51 (as your user name may suggest) you are not in a high risk group.

The media hysteria is in a frenzy, but in reality the risk in Bangkok is quite low considering the locations of the existing outbreaks (factories, Immigrant labourer accommodation, slums).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

thats a very long ride in a TukTuk , 

I would take the cheap bus and get a window seat 

Far greater risk with proximity to others of a poorer demographic who live in higher density accommodation. 

Using the a non-AC bus; the cheapest form of public transport in BKK is something which should definitely be avoided if Covid-19 is your concern. 

It is far far safer using a taxi and having the window open. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all of your comments everyone. As I am not too tech-oriented, this is the first time I have heard of grab and bolt. Did some searches and am glad to have found them--I see their equivalents here in the US (uber, lyft).

Sincerely,

Trent 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Why would anyone be cramped in a Tuk Tuk ,??

There very small and uncomfortable.   Thats my opinion.  Maybe your a contortionist.  For the same price or cheaper I'd rather travel in an air conditioned sedan.

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

There very small and uncomfortable.   Thats my opinion.  Maybe your a contortionist.  For the same price or cheaper I'd rather travel in an air conditioned sedan.

No need to be contortionist if he travels alone..

18 minutes ago, tifino said:

the only hassle I can see with a tuk tuk, is the sitting back in the slipstream of the riders cough'n'spit? 

- legroom is the best!! ????  ????  

Absolutely correct and suits me well since i'm a smoker....

I think they will take you any where if the price is right. A couple of years back in Chaing Mai, we hailed one and kept him for the day, took us to Doi Suthep Temple, San Kamphaeng hot springs, Terminal 21 and a few other shopping stops. Cant remember the exact price but I do remember it was very cheap.

On 7/3/2021 at 10:18 PM, trent1970 said:

Will a tuk tuk driver take someone from the National Stadium (near MBK) to Central on Chaeng Wattana Rd (in Nonthaburi).  And what would the cost be on average?

Yes, they will.   There are no standard tuk-tuk fares, they are all negotiable, so, unless there's a tuk-tuk driver on here, you'll only find out by asking one on the street.

On 7/4/2021 at 6:02 AM, trent1970 said:

Thanks for all of your comments everyone. As I am not too tech-oriented, this is the first time I have heard of grab and bolt. Did some searches and am glad to have found them--I see their equivalents here in the US (uber, lyft).

If that form of transport suits you (you appeared to suggest that it didn't) you can also just get a taxi!