Need Certificate of Residency for driving license renewal, can't get one from immigration as I'm on a covid extension.

Went to Muang Thong Thani immigration today to do 90 report and get a Certificate of Residency to renew my driving licence. The officer said that because I'm on a covid extension they cannot issue one, as I'm not on a permanent visa any more.

I have Non-B, but it has expired and currently waiting for a new one to be issued, but is delayed.

She suggested contacting my Embassy.

On the Embassy website it states:

Affirmation of residency

This service is available for British Nationals who hold a non-immigrant visa in Thailand. If you are a tourist in Thailand, you are not a resident and are not eligible for this service. 

I'm wondering if I will face the same issue at the embassy that I did at Immigration. I rang the embassy help line, but they didn't seem to know any details proof of address and pointed me to the website to find the info.

Does any one have experience of getting an Affirmation of Residency while on a covid extension, before I part with my £50 which I presume is non-refundable.

The driving school through which I renewed my licence got the residency certificate for me. It cost me 1000 instead of the 500 the visa agency used to charge, but the visa agency told me they couldn't do residency certificates anymore. That was end of March.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Do they make you do a 90 day report at immigration while on the COVID extension?

Only residents do 90 day reports.....just sayin...

Using a legal company to process my new visa, and they say I still must do 90 reporting.

• Like 1

I've just realised something, my non-b was in my old passport, which I didn't take. I had a new passport issued last month.

It has all been transferred correctly, but perhaps only the covid extension was transferred and not the information that it was extended from a non-b (if that could happen?).

If I recall she did say something to the effect of 'you have no visa'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Millian said:

It has all been transferred correctly, but perhaps only the covid extension was transferred and not the information that it was extended from a non-b (if that could happen?).

On the first blank page there should be a stamp that has info about the visa you used for entry and info about your old passport. There should also be a transcribed entry stamp that will show it was a non immigrant visa entry.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

On the first blank page there should be a stamp that has info about the visa you used for entry and info about your old passport. There should also be a transcribed entry stamp that will show it was a non immigrant visa entry.

I was recentlytold by the Thailand Elite guys that when I get a new passport I should go to immigration to get the most recent entry stamp moved into my new passport, presumably along with the current extension as soon as I get the passport with the standard letter they issue.

They also said that from that point onwards  I will be unable to do a 90 day report because the actual visa is in my old passport - at that point I will need to go to Bangkok to get a new TE visa inserted into my passport.

If I don't go to Bangkok to get this new visa then I won't be able to do any 90 day reports or extensions.

The message was to do the 90 day report just before you get the new passport as once the visa is only in the old passport you're not getting anything from them. Then get a new visa inside the 90 days before a new report is done.

They're getting very petty these days which is surprising considering there's almost nobody left.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 3:37 PM, ubonjoe said:

Yup, just checked and it has the stamps about the visa from my old passport. She either missed that or maybe was looking at the expired date  from it?

So maybe she is ill informed, or was having a bad day or something!

Would you advise going back Muang Thong Thani immigration and hoping I get a different officer, or trying to explain the situation if its the same one?

Edited by Millian
  • Confused 1

I also contacted the visa agent at the legal company we are using and he said it should be no problem to issues a Cert. of residence on a covid extension.  He was at immigration today so he checked with the officer there, but they told him the same thing, cannot be issued while on covid extension.

I'll have to try the Embassy route.

On 7/8/2021 at 3:09 PM, JackGats said:

The driving school through which I renewed my licence got the residency certificate for me. It cost me 1000 instead of the 500 the visa agency used to charge, but the visa agency told me they couldn't do residency certificates anymore. That was end of March.

Depending on IO, the COR's are free.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

Depending on IO, the COR's are free.....

COR's are free ????

Here we go again... But express service to issue today is 300-500 Baht (depending which IMO you at)

On 7/8/2021 at 11:10 AM, ukrules said:

Do they make you do a 90 day report at immigration while on the COVID extension?

Only residents do 90 day reports.....just sayin...

I was thinking everybody need to make report in every 90 days what is they address?! Mean if you stay in Thailand over 90 days you need to get immigration to know where you stay. Maybe different report?

8 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

I was thinking everybody need to make report in every 90 days what is they address?! Mean if you stay in Thailand over 90 days you need to get immigration to know where you stay. Maybe different report?

They are not enforcing 90 day reporting for those getting 60 day covid extensions. Apparently they consider having to do a extension every 60 days is equal to doing the report.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lokie said:

COR's are free ????

Here we go again... But express service to issue today is 300-500 Baht (depending which IMO you at)

Aka bribe, (no receipt), my IO will not do the Express service. Although one time with Transport office refusing yellow book, I.O. rang them telling them COR not needed, to no avail. They did one in 15min NO CHARGE. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Lokie said:

COR's are free ????

That's not express, that's normal. It is called extortion if they refuse to do it.