UK State Pensions - yet another sick joke?

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

It is not the end of story....only you have chosen it to be so, as you have you have chosen to select one part of one document.

There are no penalties from DWP for overpayments od state pension and they do not automatically (in fact VERY rarely) reclaim overpaid amounts.

Fact..............................end of story.

The DWP acting on behalf of the SOS has a statuarory obligation to recover benefit overpayment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, fredscats said:

Christ,no not SP,never ever has been accomplished,...if you can show one instance of your (again,yet again) assuptions   ,just one  JUST ONE   then I will refer you to another section of whatever to prove you wrong    section 18 16 whatever,...dated 1928... 1938  and so on.....  (war time finished off any means of recovery)there were none anyway

Come on Awaiting your (non)-expert intervention yet again   yawn

Disqualifying benefits

Only sanctionable benefits can be reduced or stopped. Some benefits are not sanctioned but instead called disqualifying benefits.

These include but are not limited to:

• Retirement Pension
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment

If fraud is committed against one of these benefits it may lead to a penalty against a benefit which can be sanctioned.

Which means?  duh     and going into further detail on main DWP website   MAY? means  Maybe or maybe NOT    "  Not worth investigatigating" ,..."OAP cannot commit fraud of his own pension"  etc etc etc          but you might help me here, my cat s.hits a lot lately and smells  ..any help?

Benefit Sanctions are referring to the benefit award. See the 2012 legislation that introduced such measures. 

Even the earlier post you made about NI direct put the benefit sanction under the heading of loss of benefit. 

A benefit sanctions a penalty that involves the reduction or loss of the benefit award. It does not prohibit the deduction of recoverable amounts from the benefit. 

If you can provide a government or dwp statemenyt saying deductions are prohibited , I will accept. 

Note a reduction of a benefit and a deduction from a benefit are not the same. 

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2021 at 12:50 PM, whiteman said:

Do not complain if you live in Thailand for more than 6 months you get nothing diddle squat from our N.Z. pension scheme. So thank yourself one of the lucky ones 

We get not one penny in many decades. ANGRY

Edited by jwest10
SPELLING

On 7/31/2021 at 4:15 PM, bradiston said:

No, I haven't. Sorry for sounding alarm bells.

No need to apologise! I must admit that I have been wondering whether Rishi Sunak might be considering the possibility of reviving this proposal as he casts his beady eye round for possible ways of making good the Exchequer shortfall resulting from his little COVID-19 spending spree. Let's hope that no news is good news!

• Like 2

From thisismoney.co.uk today (05/08):

How does the UK state pension measure up against retirement income in other countries? 

·          

'Bottom of the league: How far the state pension goes in replacing an average salary in different countries (Source: OECD)

The UK state pension comes bottom in a league table of net (meaning after tax) replacement rates for average earnings at just 28 per cent, according to an influential global pensions report by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

This compares with a 59 per cent average across the 36 members of the international organisation of rich democratic countries analysed in its latest report, which was published in 2019.

At the top end, the net replacement rate is 90 per cent or more in Austria, Luxembourg, Portugal and Turkey, according to the OECD report.

But it is important to note that this just covers mandatory pension saving schemes, so does not represent a true picture of what UK pensioners retire on compared to their salaries.

While in other countries mandatory saving is the dominant system - and in some cases rolls state and workplace pensions into one system - in the UK most people rely on a combination of state and workplace pension schemes (while many use personal pensions as well) and the UK's non-state pensions are deemed voluntary by the OECD.' 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 10:14 AM, siftasam said:

So then, am I expecting an unfrozen pension (after 13 years of being a 'cold shouldered' British taxpayer) and a  ........?Bonanza (1960) | Season 1 | Episode 30 | Feet of Clay | Lorne Greene |  Michael Landon | Dan Blocker - YouTube

No.

It says nothing about un-freezing pensions, it only applies to increases on "unfrozen" pensions.

And they won't get that 8% anyway, maybe 3.5%

On 7/9/2021 at 11:26 AM, bkk6060 said:

Good luck with it.

I never understand why and how the UK people put up with it.

Just a terrible system screwing over pensioners.  What ever happened to all the money?

The UK has the worst state pension in the developed world- in 2016 it was only worth 29% of average income. It is striking how much less that is than other countries: the EU average is 70.5% meaning that UK pensions receive more than two times less than comparable countries

Whenever i have seen this blatant theft mentioned in the UK press most of the comments ( mainly women) think that frozen pensions are completely in order, and we should never get any increase as if we are some kind of traitor for leaving the UK!

2 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

Whenever i have seen this blatant theft mentioned in the UK press most of the comments ( mainly women) think that frozen pensions are completely in order, and we should never get any increase as if we are some kind of traitor for leaving the UK!

Sadly, that is the case. I think that often it is based on the assumption that we no longer pay any tax to the UK, which is not true of most pensioners.

• Like 2

Clickbait headline from the Daily Express (4/9), at least I hope it's clickbait, but one never knows with these bozos: 

"Pensioners to pay National Insurance! Shock tax move to fund social care bills".

Out of curiosity, I looked up the current standard rate - 12% on monthly income £737 - £4,189, 2% thereafter.

As context, there does seem to be some political debate re raising NI to fund social care, in particular fixing the "selling one's house" issue - something the Conservatives pledged to remedy. Nothing decided yet in so far as I'm aware. It's controversial in that it hits lower paid workers disproportionately, and raising NI is also contrary to the Conservative manifesto. Boris is caught between a rock and a hard place on this one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 5:06 PM, nausea said:

Clickbait headline from the Daily Express (4/9), at least I hope it's clickbait, but one never knows with these bozos: 

"Pensioners to pay National Insurance! Shock tax move to fund social care bills".

Out of curiosity, I looked up the current standard rate - 12% on monthly income £737 - £4,189, 2% thereafter.

As context, there does seem to be some political debate re raising NI to fund social care, in particular fixing the "selling one's house" issue - something the Conservatives pledged to remedy. Nothing decided yet in so far as I'm aware. It's controversial in that it hits lower paid workers disproportionately, and raising NI is also contrary to the Conservative manifesto. Boris is caught between a rock and a hard place on this one.

Would'nt bother Bozo he would just make up another lie, then carry on as normal!

On 9/4/2021 at 5:06 PM, nausea said:

It is clickbait as it implies that all pensioners will now be liable for NI payments. Until now, when you reach pensionable age, now 66, you cease to be liable for NI contributions if you are still working. They now propose to levy the charge on any working income whatever your age. If you are past retirement age and don't have a job, you won't have to pay.