Tourist visa extension

I am 48 and a UK national.  I am 4 weeks into a planned 89 day trip to Thailand.  I received a 60 day tourist visa from the Thai embassy in London and intended to apply for an additional 30 days from a Bangkok immigration office prior to the visa expiring which I understood to be automatic.

I have been reading about the 60 day covid visa extension on the forum and since my return flight is flexible and I'd like to stay longer I wondered if it was possible to apply for the 60 day extension first whilst it's still available and possibly the 30 day automatic extension afterwards or is the 60 day extension only available after the 30 day extension has been utilised?  I am able to return to UK (albeit it may be inconvenient with quarantine) and so also wondered if they actually ask about the need for a covid extension at the time of application and if so what evidence should I look to provide.  

I haven't been able to find any detailed text (in english) on the rules and so would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction before going to the immigration office. 

Many thanks in advance....

There's a good chance that the immigration office will require you to apply for the regular 30-day extension first. Afterwards you could apply for 60-day Covid extensions, for as long as they will remain available.