Questions and comments about C19 vaccines

There are a lot of questions and comments about C19 vaccinations across various topics on our pages. It's difficult for us to find them all, so we can respond (where we can). Can I suggest to the members of this forum that where possible you post your messages here, so they are in one place and therefore a bit easier to spot and answer? 

• Like 1

The British foreign office email is saying that foreigners can now register for vaccines at the hospital the holds your medical details but i am told that only people with pink card can register, so i think that this information should be corrected.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are you not offering vaccines to UK nationals in Thailand who cannot register with the chaotic local vaccine programme?

If countries like France and Australia can do it for their citizens, why not the UK in these exceptional circumstances?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, roquefort said:

Why are you not offering vaccines to UK nationals in Thailand who cannot register with the chaotic local vaccine programme?

If countries like France and Australia can do it for their citizens, why not the UK in these exceptional circumstances?

Bingo, its time for the BE to step up to the plate enough is enough. 

Edited by blackcab
Bold font removed. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording

Consular Section      

It is now 20 days since you last replied-you asked us to make it easier for you. Could you please tell us how many of the vaccines that the UK are delivering to Thailand within the next two weeks are going to be used to vaccinate British people here?

The French have set the example and I hope/ expect you to follow.

I look forward to receiving your reply.

20 hours ago, pattaya1234was said:

Consular Section      

It is now 20 days since you last replied-you asked us to make it easier for you. Could you please tell us how many of the vaccines that the UK are delivering to Thailand within the next two weeks are going to be used to vaccinate British people here?

The French have set the example and I hope/ expect you to follow.

I look forward to receiving your reply.

Apologies for the delay in responding. To answer your question, the vaccinations that the UK have donated to Thailand are going into the national programme here. As stated elsewhere on this forum there are no plans to follow the French approach. 

• Sad 2

On 7/28/2021 at 9:34 AM, Tony M said:

Consular Section.  I have been in email correspondence with one of the hospitals on the Intervac list that you have referred us to.  Initially, the hospital said that all over 70's could register, then changed it to needing to appear in person at the hospital to register, then, when I informed them that I live near Pattaya, it was changed to the policy applying only to people who live in Bangkok or the surrounding red zones.  At no time was the hospital obstructive in any way other than stating that they are bound by (new) government requirements (which seemingly mainly, if not wholly), vaccinates only foreigners who live in Bangkok. The hospital did refer me to their "sister" hospital in Sri Racha, but that hospital informed me that they are not currently taking any registrations for vaccinations (see the attachment).

The Intervac website has several hospitals listed.  Outside of Bangkok, there are three hospitals - in Phuket, Khon Kaen and Sri Racha. None of those hospitals is currently registering foreigners for vaccine. The obvious question, amongst many others, is how do non-Thais outside of Bangkok  get vaccinated if the Thai government policy does not even allow us to be vaccinated in Bangkok ?  The current Intervac site says that we cannot even register for vaccinations at Bang Sue, even though they are now going to vaccinate over 60's. If you live outside of Bangkok, are of any age, have underlying medical conditions, then "tough".  With respect, we have no idea what you (the Embassy/FCO/etc) are doing to assist us, but the perception (as you can see from the posted comments) is that it is very little, if anything at all. Surely, the Ambassador and yourselves do not believe the Thai government proclamation that we are all being treated equally (and I do understand that you cannot answer that question) ?  Maybe it is time to consider "sanctions" of some kind ? The current Home Sec has proposed legislation to convince countries to cooperate in certain areas, and that proposal includes restricting the issue of UK visas to citizens of countries that don't play ball. Thailand doesn't seem to be playing ball. As I think I have said in one of my many posts on the subject of vaccinations, I have several Thai friends currently visiting the UK, and they have all been vaccinated, courtesy of the UK government. Reciprocal treatment would be nice.

I have attached my correspondence with the hospital in Bangkok, so that you can see that this is not just a frivolous post.  

As someone has posted above, "enough is enough".  You and your families are vaccinated. The majority of Brits in Thailand, with or without families, are not vaccinated. We feel vulnerable, and many of us are frustrated that we can see no prospect of any vaccine in the near future. Countries, including the UK I believe, are donating vaccine to many countries, including Thailand, but non-Thais don't seem to be benefitting from these "aid" programs.  With the infection numbers rising daily, this is surely a crisis by any definition (which I questioned in a previous post, but you did not respond), and your silence is deafening. 

Smitivej_emails.pdf 1.04 MB · 1 download

Thanks for this, Tony M. You set out many of the issues the British community and other residents of Thailand are facing at the moment very clearly.  To address a couple of your points, we know that the information that is being given out does not always capture the reality on the ground or the experience of many residents of Thailand who are trying to get a vaccine. We have raised the importance of accurate info in English with Thai authorities several times, and we are doing our best to pass on the most up to date and verified info in our own weekly vaccines bulletin. We have also repeatedly raised - at all levels - the importance of equitable access for all residents of Thailand, with a focus on vulnerable people regardless of nationality. We will continue to make this point and to work with the Thai authorities to achieve this. 

On 7/27/2021 at 11:18 PM, roquefort said:

Please see our answer to this question here

21 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

British citizens in Thailand can complain all we like, but ultimately decisions like vaccine roll-outs to overseas citizens are presumably made in the UK by the FCO and/or the Cabinet.  The current and previous governments have never done much for expatriates, and it's not really surprising that this is continuing in respect to the current crisis.  It's not the fault of the Embassy/Consulate in Thailand.  I didn't vote for Boris.  I'm sure a Lib Dem or Jeremy Corbyn government would be doing a lot more ????

As the British Consular Team have made clear, this thread is supposed to be about whatever questions and comments we might wish to put to them about COVID-19 vaccines. It is, I think, not helpful to them if they are going to have to weed out a lot of chaff from the wheat in dealing with these.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

What is being said publically does not match what is happening on the ground.

Me, 66, Type 2 diabetes, 3 stents, elevated Blood Pressure currently hiding in my village in Kanchanaburi. No one will register me in my province. I will not risk a trip to Bangkok.

Local health Clinic - Thai Only, Local hospital that has my records, Thai only but have no vaccines anyway. Local village chief - will be a long time and not for foreigners, Laos or Myanmar (my village has many migrant workers, also increasing the infection risk).

I realise as a diplomat you have to be diplomatic but someone, maybe Boris, should be calling them out.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

British citizens in Thailand can complain all we like, but ultimately decisions like vaccine roll-outs to overseas citizens are presumably made in the UK by the FCO and/or the Cabinet.  The current and previous governments have never done much for expatriates, and it's not really surprising that this is continuing in respect to the current crisis.  It's not the fault of the Embassy/Consulate in Thailand.  I didn't vote for Boris.  I'm sure a Lib Dem or Jeremy Corbyn government would be doing a lot more ????

No-one is suggesting the embassy is at fault here. Clearly the decisions are made in London, but the embassy represents the UK government in Thailand. As UK citizens we have every right to complain to them about decisions affecting us and would expect those complaints to be relayed back to the appropriate sources.

Not that I expect it to make the slightest bit of difference. You have greater faith in politicians of any party than I do.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roquefort said:

No-one is suggesting the embassy is at fault here. Clearly the decisions are made in London, but the embassy represents the UK government in Thailand. As UK citizens we have every right to complain to them about decisions affecting us and would expect those complaints to be relayed back to the appropriate sources.

Not that I expect it to make the slightest bit of difference. You have greater faith in politicians of any party than I do.

No, I have no faith in politicians.  In fact, a cynic might say that France's action in providing vaccines to French citizens overseas could be linked to the Presidential election next year!  Unfortunately for us Brits, Boris has only just been elected and won't need the expat vote again until 2024/2025!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm sure a Lib Dem or Jeremy Corbyn government would be doing a lot more 

I very much doubt it.Why on earth would they? Neither opposition party has shown the slightest interest in expatriate needs (if it involves spending money - state pensions for example).Bailing out Thailand lotus eaters isn't exactly a n election winning slogan.

In any case I doubt whether the global policy was determined at cabinet level.It would have been signed off by a Foreign Office minister but the policy would have been initiated and driven by officials.In principle the policy makes sense if countries provide equal rights and fair vaccination access to British residents.Here in Thailand, slowly oh so slowly, we seem to be edging towards this objective.

I would have thought the main job of the Embassy is to energetically support the oldest and most vulnerable of British citizens resident here who can't access vaccinations.The new Ambassador seems to be doing his best.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Saltire said:

someone, maybe Boris, should be calling them out.

That person might better be Dominic Raab who IMHO should be summoning the Thai Ambassador to the UK and reading out the Riot Act to him.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 4:28 PM, roquefort said:

This is a fair point about complaints. You do have the right to complain to us about decisions made by the UK government that affect you and we will relay those complaints to the appropriate authorities where possible. 

On 7/31/2021 at 4:43 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

No, I have no faith in politicians.  In fact, a cynic might say that France's action in providing vaccines to French citizens overseas could be linked to the Presidential election next year!  Unfortunately for us Brits, Boris has only just been elected and won't need the expat vote again until 2024/2025!

Good Boris doesn't need the votes, YET.

On 7/31/2021 at 5:25 PM, jayboy said:

I very much doubt it.Why on earth would they? Neither opposition party has shown the slightest interest in expatriate needs (if it involves spending money - state pensions for example).Bailing out Thailand lotus eaters isn't exactly a n election winning slogan.

In any case I doubt whether the global policy was determined at cabinet level.It would have been signed off by a Foreign Office minister but the policy would have been initiated and driven by officials.In principle the policy makes sense if countries provide equal rights and fair vaccination access to British residents.Here in Thailand, slowly oh so slowly, we seem to be edging towards this objective.

I would have thought the main job of the Embassy is to energetically support the oldest and most vulnerable of British citizens resident here who can't access vaccinations.The new Ambassador seems to be doing his best.

In Corbyns final manifesto he stated expats would enjoy parity on State pension and remove the frozen nonsense, so perhaps he would have  been looking out for us, but when you know you have little chance of getting in you can promise anything, just like Trump and his wall but OMG he got in.

• Like 1

On 1st august I registered through the online system and provided the copy of the passport details page as requested.  This clearly showed my age as 61 and therefore eligible for the first round of vaccinations.  I was not asked for, nor was there any requirement to show, my Visa status in Thailand.  For the record I am on an Extension of stay for retirement for which I have already completed two 90 day reports online.

On 17 August I have just received an email from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand informing me, 'After reviewing your registration, it can not be further processed due to lack of required visas.'  Also advising me that I should not reply to the auto generated email.

As a British citizen staying here legally I would like your advice on how to deal with this.

expatvac.docx

• Like 1

Consular section.

Guys,

Please ask powers that be in the British Embassy why we cannot fly to the UK without self isolating for 10 days, after being double vaccinated with Astra Zenica which is a British produced vaccine , British approved vaccine, and a vaccine being produced here in Thailand under license from Astra Zenica, just because we are being vaccinated in Thailand?

It seems incredible that we must be vaccinated in the EU or UK to qualify for no self isolation.

It just isn't right, is it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Consular section.

Guys,

Please ask powers that be in the British Embassy why we cannot fly to the UK without self isolating for 10 days, after being double vaccinated with Astra Zenica which is a British produced vaccine , British approved vaccine, and a vaccine being produced here in Thailand under license from Astra Zenica, just because we are being vaccinated in Thailand?

It seems incredible that we must be vaccinated in the EU or UK to qualify for no self isolation.

It just isn't right, is it?

Thailand is on the Amber list which requires self-quarantine for all arrivals irrespective of vaccine status. Nothing to do with Thailand or the British Embassy here.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thailand is on the Amber list which requires self-quarantine for all arrivals irrespective of vaccine status. Nothing to do with Thailand or the British Embassy here.

I suggest you update yourself before jumping in.

Certain groups of fully vaccinated people on the Amber list do not have to self isolate after taking a Covid test on day 2, depending on which vaccine programme they used and where they were vaccinated.

It therefore has plenty to do with the British Embassy!

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

WRONG.

23 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I suggest you update yourself before jumping in.

Certain groups of fully vaccinated people on the Amber list do not have to self isolate after taking a Covid test on day 2, depending on which vaccine programme they used and where they were vaccinated.

It therefore has plenty to do with the British Embassy!

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england

Thanks for the correction. I'm still not sure what you think the British Embassy in Thailand can do about it, but good luck all the same.

• Like 1