One Less Farang

Makoshark

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have lived in Thailand for 20 years this year, 3 years in BKK and the rest in rural Kamphaeng Phet in my Thai wife's house. Before that I spent 4 years working in Thailand and I still like the country and the people but the military coups and especially p*** me off no end, but they rarely bother with the backwaters out here and we are generally left alone.

I, and quite a few of my friends, come under #3. Not trapped and happy most of the time. There are always small gripes but nothing earth shattering to make us want to go elsewhere. Just take things a day at a time and it all works our in the end.

Covid, travel problems and limited numbers prevent us from meeting up every month for the last 6 months, but it will pass.

We were planning our snowbird trip back end of last year only to get it derailed by this whole covid nightmare.

The downside is that my wife, who is a material scientist working for the DoD on B-1 bombers, has got a couple of promotions during the pandemic, and I fear our previous plans to go back annually to our house in Khon Kaen, may be somewhat in jeopardy.

You are right, this will pass, but I'm not sure if the world at the end of this will look anything like the world when we went into this nightmare for some of us.

My wife was an orphan, and now has more family in the US through her aunt and uncle who grew up with, than family in Thailand.

That weakens her ties to Thailand, and her career is firmly ascendant right now

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

We were planning our snowbird trip back end of last year only to get it derailed by this whole covid nightmare.

The downside is that my wife, who is a material scientist working for the DoD on B-1 bombers, has got a couple of promotions during the pandemic, and I fear our previous plans to go back annually to our house in Khon Kaen, may be somewhat in jeopardy.

You are right, this will pass, but I'm not sure if the world at the end of this will look anything like the world when we went into this nightmare for some of us.

My wife was an orphan, and now has more family in the US through her aunt and uncle who grew up with, than family in Thailand.

That weakens her ties to Thailand, and her career is firmly ascendant right now

We’ll you’re gone now sooo…

Whenever I see a farang writing from the privacy of his computor and throwing around big baht numbers I go looking for a BS button (we really do need a BS button)

I know people with money and I know people without…has nothing to do with their happiness or lack of…but I do know this….people who actually have money ???? ????seldom talk about it and certainly not on a forum of strangers.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kanada said:

Whenever I see a farang writing from the privacy of his computor and throwing around big baht numbers I go looking for a BS button (we really do need a BS button)

I know people with money and I know people without…has nothing to do with their happiness or lack of…but I do know this….people who actually have money ????????seldom talk about it and certainly not on a forum of strangers.

Are you reading a different thread to me, since I haven't seen anyone throwing around any ฿ numbers, let alone big numbers.

20 hours ago, Kanada said:

I know people with money and I know people without…has nothing to do with their happiness or lack of…but I do know this….people who actually have money ????????seldom talk about it and certainly not on a forum of strangers.

How much money should I have before I don't talk about it. "Having money" has different meanings.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 12:14 PM, Nickelbeer said:

All they need to do is go back to the system they had when I got here. Once a year, I got a stat declaration from the American Embassy and took it to Immigration and got an extension of stay for one year for about 2000 baht. Immigration wanted a gold plated guarantee from Embassies and both British and American Embassies told them to stuff it. They left their expats holding the bag. It should not cost me more than about 2000 baht to get an extension every year. Embassies do nothing but create problems for their expats and Immigration finds a way to profit from that sour attitude. Embassy personnel want to attend parties and do next to nothing for the people they supposedly represent. President Biden needs to clean house and replace the staff with people who want to work.

Not sure what the Brits need to do. They have problems of their own.

You can thank the many folks that couldn’t meet the financial requirements and used the declaration as a way to get around the requirements since nobody checked whether the declaration was accurate or a complete fantasy.  

For the US embassy to verify your income, they would need to link into the US social security system.  

Personally, I wouldn’t want that (call me crazy, but I like my privacy) but I understand that some might find it convenient for the purposes you stated.  

That said, given that the US DOD and the Department of Veterans Affairs can’t even talk to each other leaving many vets spending months wading through paperwork to get treatment, I highly doubt it’s at the top of anyone’s agenda to make sure some American expats can verify their income in a convenient manner.  

Not sure why you think the US State Department is in charge of this.  

Or, you know, you can either keep the money in a Thai bank account or bring the money into Thailand monthly like many other people do, seemingly, without too much hassle.  

2 hours ago, digibum said:

you must have missed the OP where he talks about how Thailand will now be without the 160,000 baht a month that he now spends.  

The typical, yawn, I spend money here so Thailand should bend over backwards to keep me here rant.  

So, I believe what @Kanada is referring to is the types of folks who always claim that they’re throwing around tons of cash in Thailand and expect to be treated better.  

Like all of the digital nomads that talk about how they’re propping up the Thai economy so Thailand should be fighting to get them to stay here, but when you mention a Elite Visa they act like $15k or $30k USD is Elon Musk kind of money.  

The reality is that if you actually have (and invest or spend) the kind of money that is impressive to the Thai economy, chances are you don’t have visa problems.  

It’s the people that think 100,000 or 160,000 baht a month is big money that are the types that seem to always make a point of mentioning how much money they spend.  

I’ve always felt there’s a slight hint of some sort of -ism in these kinds of rants.  

Surely these people wouldn’t expect the UK or the US to think $60,000 a year to be impressive.  In the US, that’s pretty much the median wage.  

Its slightly higher than the median wage in the UK but hardly impressive.  

Ahh you have a point.

To be honest I had almost forgotten the OP.

....now what exactly did i have for breakfast this morning??? LOL

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

now what exactly did i have for breakfast this morning??? LOL

Maybe it was that 160,000 baht ham and eggs.  LOL. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, digibum said:

Maybe it was that 160,000 baht ham and eggs.  LOL. 

Hey those pigs raised in the porcine day spa receiving massages and fed the highest quality pig swill to ensure optimum bacon satisfaction, comes at at cost don't ya know!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, digibum said:

Surely these people wouldn’t expect the UK or the US to think $60,000 a year to be impressive.  In the US, that’s pretty much the median wage.  

Its slightly higher than the median wage in the UK but hardly impressive.  

I should point out that I errored saying that’s as the median wage.  It’s the median household income.  

I don’t want to give the impression that it’s a bad amount to make.  It’s just not the kind of money that makes an entire country shiver when one threatens to move.  

Sort of like those people that suggest that you walk into a bank with 100,000 baht when opening an account like that’s going to get you VIP treatment.  

Like bank tellers have never seen such ungodly amounts of cash before.  LOL.  

16 minutes ago, digibum said:

I should point out that I errored saying that’s as the median wage.  It’s the median household income.  

I don’t want to give the impression that it’s a bad amount to make.  It’s just not the kind of money that makes an entire country shiver when one threatens to move.  

Sort of like those people that suggest that you walk into a bank with 100,000 baht when opening an account like that’s going to get you VIP treatment.  

Well I would agree with that.

It's almost an extension to the 'two week millionaire' syndrome

On 7/16/2021 at 9:09 AM, GinBoy2 said:

The diehards. These range from the 'trapped' to the genuinely happy who will end up being BBQ'd at the local temple

I wouldn't call myself 'trapped' but as I was walking around Wongwian Yai in Bangkok i did notice a really spiffy casket at a shop near the big circle. 

1 hour ago, digibum said:

Depends where you live,

2009, I walked into a bank with 500kbht to open an account, and the pretty young girl at the door got very excited. Sadly the bank manager rushed over and pushed her out of the way.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, tonray said:

I wouldn't call myself 'trapped' but as I was walking around Wongwian Yai in Bangkok i did notice a really spiffy casket at a shop near the big circle. 

You gotta be stylish when you go down the BBQ road!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Depends where you live,

2009, I walked into a bank with 500kbht to open an account, and the pretty young girl at the door got very excited. Sadly the bank manager rushed over and pushed her out of the way.

Maybe you should have just opened the account with 100K baht.  Then the bank manager probably wouldn't have come over.  After that just come back 4 more times to deposit another 100K baht using the same pretty girl!  :smile:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 10:00 PM, rumak said:

still looking ????   must not be so easy

Well, I have hunkered down at my home in the US until I got fully vaccinated. Also I had a lot to do to my home here. I am in Colombia now, absolutely beautiful country. After living in SE Asia for years, I personally consider it to be a very poor destination for expats! 

Basically the same scams here as in Asia so I am avoiding them. The air is clean, the food is delicious. I can legally buy property. So many wonderful places for expats to lite it is hard to make a decision.

Edited by garyk

19 minutes ago, garyk said:

Well, I have hunkered down at my home in the US until I got fully vaccinated. Also I had a lot to do to my home here. I am in Colombia now, absolutely beautiful country. After living in SE Asia for years, I personally consider it to be a very poor destination for expats! 

Basically the same scams here as in Asia so I am avoiding them. The air is clean, the food is delicious. I can legally buy property. So many wonderful places for expats to lite it is hard to make a decision.

thanks for the update.  (knowing your age would help ,  as being 50 ish  is nowhere the same as late 60's or 70.    I came to thailand at 36,   permanent here since early 40's.   Now  70 !

Those of us that came here long ago had a pretty good run !  

BM2 doesn't know anyone who is 70 that is happy.   Certainly for me,  moving now would not make that much difference,  and be a big PITA.     But if i was mid 50's ,  well, might just look for cleaner air.

OH,  and cost of living?    here i live really really cheaply.   and really have all I want (materially)

Big consideration for those with savings but small pensions/social security

keep us updated,  don't forget fotos of the ladies

• Like 1

itll be years before things normalise ,,,but can you wait

esp now the germans have an even worse strain

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1469619/Germany-news-covid-19-rsv-virus-dangerous-flu-usa-switzerland-Israel-children

Germany warns of virus 'more dangerous than Covid' - alarm raised as infections rocket

GERMANY has warned about the respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) that is rapidly spreading and is "more dangerous than Covid".

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, rumak said:

thanks for the update.  (knowing your age would help ,  as being 50 ish  is nowhere the same as late 60's or 70.    I came to thailand at 36,   permanent here since early 40's.   Now  70 !

Those of us that came here long ago had a pretty good run !  

BM2 doesn't know anyone who is 70 that is happy.   Certainly for me,  moving now would not make that much difference,  and be a big PITA.     But if i was mid 50's ,  well, might just look for cleaner air.

OH,  and cost of living?    here i live really really cheaply.   and really have all I want (materially)

Big consideration for those with savings but small pensions/social security

keep us updated,  don't forget fotos of the ladies

I am 69, lived there from 56 until a couple of years ago.  

As long as your happy enjoy. I got tired of the hassles. But, what really forced me to leave was the air pollution. I have a hard time with it. 

Well, you cannot beat the lady in Asia. It is a totally different dynamic here. But, I must say i enjoy it, so much different.. ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, garyk said:

How easy is it to stay in Colombia? And where is considered the most safe? 

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

How easy is it to stay in Colombia? And where is considered the most safe? 

All I had to do was to fill out a MIG report, It asked if I was vaccinated and I had to show a return ticket. I bought a throw away ticket. There are no restrictions to enter Colombia. And the virus is dropping here fast. You can stay for six months a year on a tourist visa. The clock resets Jan 1.  So if I wanted to I could stay one year.  Safe?  I am in Bucaramanga. And I plan to travel to the parks here. I will let you know in a few week how I feel about the safety.  If you want a retirement visa here it is super simple.. 

About all I can tell you at this point.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, garyk said:

All I had to do was to fill out a MIG report, It asked if I was vaccinated and I had to show a return ticket. I bought a throw away ticket. There are no restrictions to enter Colombia. And the virus is dropping here fast. You can stay for six months a year on a tourist visa. The clock resets Jan 1.  So if I wanted to I could stay one year.  Safe?  I am in Bucaramanga. And I plan to travel to the parks here. I will let you know in a few week how I feel about the safety.  If you want a retirement visa here it is super simple.. 

About all I can tell you at this point.

Thanks. My long term plan is to stay in Thailand or the Philippines but I’m concerned both will be suffering from lockdown issues in 2022, so want somewhere to park myself in from April 2022. Learning some Spanish would be attractive to. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Thanks. My long term plan is to stay in Thailand or the Philippines but I’m concerned both will be suffering from lockdown issues in 2022, so want somewhere to park myself in from April 2022. Learning some Spanish would be attractive to. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

You are more than welcome!  I will post some pics and my experience here as they unfold. 

• Like 1

I thought I would give a update on prices here.

This is lunch I had delivered to the condo I am staying in. I did not feel like going out.

Honey chicken breast with cheese and a small piece of ham in the middle. Beans , rice, Potatoes, A nice soup and salad, and a drink. The cost delivered was 2.80 dollars and I gave a 1 dollar tip.. Total 3.80.

Here is my condo, I rented for one month. Fully furnished with a washer and air. Very good and fast internet. Total 470 for the apartment. This is in town in a very secure building. I am not liking it really, I want to move up to a better place with a pool and gym. So If I can find one next month I will post pics and prices. This was last minute.

1627752253623.jpg

IMG_20210731_123156.jpg

IMG_20210731_123121.jpg

IMG_20210731_124513.jpg

Edited by garyk
  • Sad 2

On 7/18/2021 at 8:53 AM, Kanada said:

Whenever I see a foreigner self reference as 'farang' or use the term to include other foreigners and expats I too click the mental BS button.

• Like 1