One Less Farang

Makoshark

32 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

There is no answer to that assertion, not what that I have anyway. 

one answer is to look at the balance sheets of the FED (a private bank) and the ECB (another bunch of robbers)

Where do you think all the 'stimmy cheques' are coming from?

But it's good isn't it cos it makes the stock markets go to 'all time highs'......the rich have never had it so good!! ????

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, driver52 said:

one answer is to look at the balance sheets of the FED (a private bank) and the ECB (another bunch of robbers)

Where do you think all the 'stimmy cheques' are coming from?

But it's good isn't it cos it makes the stock markets go to 'all time highs'......the rich have never had it so good!! ????

Neither have pensions, that do prosper in bull markets, so I'm not really worried about how it happens, just that it does happen.   I do agree that its all smoke and mirrors and that the financial systems worldwide are corrupt, but hey ho, I'm on pensions, so........  

Edited by Doctor Tom

In my experience, Thai Immigration doesn't HAVE to do ANYTHING.  They also don't care about the opinions of farangs. I have my eye on the Philippines (as soon as it opens up) , but there are drawbacks there, such as marriage scams by many of the women. You can be imprisoned for "ghosting" (leaving a woman without cause), there are numerous women who will get pregnant by a FIlipino man and try to claim it is yours. There really are few options in Asia, unless you have a huge deposit to leave in some third world bank. Those of us who live on a monthly income must use an expensive agent to continue staying here. The situation is quite bleak.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, digibum said:

A lot of these YouTubers are like that.  They come across as very positive happy people but the longer their channel runs, the more their true personality comes out.  

Sounds like my renters !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, driver52 said:

sure the tax is bad if you work but otherwise it is very very cheap compared to say the UK where council tax is going bonkers.....house tax in France is like nothing, electricity is cheap, wood is free lol. Weeds can be grown for free ????

You almost convinced me to go and settle in France when we can go back to travel and know better,  but France is not heaven on earth 10 years ago same you tell me. LOL

Edited by BE88
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Wow, just slogged through 8 pages and i can hardly remember the original OP.

You know things change, places change, people change over time.

So what you wanted 10, 15, 20 years ago might well not be what works for you today.

When we moved from Singapore to Thailand, against my Thai wife's better judgement I might add, it was great for years.

Then my wife's career stalled, educated female engineers in Thailand have it rough, trust me, and I just got bored, so we knew it was time for a change.

Our son had already moved to the US, and after college told us he was never coming back, so off we went, since Momma Bear was never going to be that far away from her baby.

So our plan was spend most of the year in the US and snowbird to our house in Thailand. That worked great up until COVID, much like I think the OP was figuring.

But in truth, the longer this goes on we're both wondering what's the point.

We've established our life back here, and we've been having these discussions what does tie us back to Thailand.

Everyone's situation is different. Some are in the burned/angry category. Some Bored,  Some lonely. Some fantastically happy

So just do like the OP do what makes you happy. This is no dress rehearsal for life, when it's over it's over

I agree with your reflections but Thailand has also changed in recent years so for some the decision has come not to feel good and to go towards new horizons and many are reflecting as I personally the pros and cons, to each their own choice .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BE88 said:

I agree with your reflections but Thailand has also changed in recent years so for some the decision has come not to feel good and to go towards new horizons and many are reflecting as I personally the pros and cons, to each their own choice .

That's when I feel sad for the uber deniers.

You can tell they are trapped, probably sunk their life savings into some life in Thailand, and literally can't get out of it, and  get awful aggressive in defending ridiculous pro Thai positions.

We all know some stuff in Thailand is past ridiculous,  but if you have options you can see rationally that fact, and you shrug your shoulders.

Get yourself stuck without an out, then you spiral down into the rabbit hole of trying to rationalize the ridiculous

49 minutes ago, BE88 said:

France is not heaven on earth 10 years ago same you tell me. LOL

it defo has a lot going for it but also full of 'miserable old French fookers'........they didn't invent 'Les Miserables' for nothing lol

YMMV ????

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2021 at 5:07 AM, rumak said:

You see !   Things are getting so bad that I even have to correct my own posts :

" a heck of a lot fewer farangs "     

It is never too late for the OP to request a correction of the title of this topic.

less.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

That's when I feel sad for the uber deniers.

You can tell they are trapped, probably sunk their life savings into some life in Thailand, and literally can't get out of it, and  get awful aggressive in defending ridiculous pro Thai positions.

We all know some stuff in Thailand is past ridiculous,  but if you have options you can see rationally that fact, and you shrug your shoulders.

Get yourself stuck without an out, then you spiral down into the rabbit hole of trying to rationalize the ridiculous

Plan B and C are always at the ready, if you don't have one well you are living on that knifes edge as they say.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MayBeNow said:

In the West you need a teachers degree in order to teach, in Thailand its the same. Do you have a teachers degree so you can tutor Thai students? If you have you could apply for a teaching job. One can not expect any country to let unqualified people teach. 

Reasonable fees and rates (the same) to be charged to Western immigrants/any tourist would be great and necesary. Its what i totally dislike myself. To the point of avoiding these venues. 

In the West you do not need a Teacher's degree.  You do in general need a degree and to get certified to teach by taking a few courses on the topic.  I am approved as a substitute teacher in Florida.  I have BS in engineering and MS in Math.  Tutoring, is something I have looked into.  There is literally no way to tutor on ones' own legally in Thailand because you could not get an individual work permit.  There is some possibility one could get attached to some teaching school in Thailand that offers tutorial services, and you would be their employee, but I found none that really did that.

11 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

The trouble with youth is its wasted on the young.

Yes, too bad we can not live our youthful years to the same extent when we get older, but that would mean a lobotomy would need to be done on one when they were young and impressionable. 

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, too bad we can not live our youthful years to the same extent when we get older, but that would mean a lobotomy would need to be done on one when they were young and impressionable. 

In my youthful years all I did was work to get money.

My party years started at age 52, and they were really wild.

I don't really look back with nostalgia, I made up for it later. 

I am happy with the way things turned out in SEA.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 8:16 PM, rumak said:

One thing i've noticed is that there are a heck of a lot LESS  farangs on this new named site

that i had grown somewhat fond of  .    Seems like the purge has been successful.

Now there's just 2 or 3 that I even recognize.  And I'm one of them !

But it is now the preferred home of epidemiological dilettantes in and about Thailand

52 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

In my youthful years all I did was work to get money.

My party years started at age 52, and they were really wild.

I don't really look back with nostalgia, I made up for it later. 

I am happy with the way things turned out in SEA.

For how long did your wild partying years go on for ?

Are you still partying wildly ?

21 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

For how long did your wild partying years go on for ?

Are you still partying wildly ?

11 years  from 2009 (age 52) until COVID.

The party ended when I was 63 and prevented from visiting Vietnam/Cambodia/Philippines.

Effectively I had my 20s while in my 50s.

Plenty of money to spend and unlimited young women to choose from.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

But it is now the preferred home of epidemiological dilettantes in and about Thailand

or to simplify it ........ The Experts 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

11 years  from 2009 (age 52) until COVID.

The party ended when I was 63 and prevented from visiting Vietnam/Cambodia/Philippines.

Effectively I had my 20s while in my 50s.

Plenty of money to spend and unlimited young women to choose from.

the 50's were my  heyday as well .   I am five years older than you....... so maybe you were getting some of my been there done thats      haha

it was a great era, for sure ,  though sometimes tricky juggling the datebook .   

I was not in the countries you mention, though.    Fear of flying !

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 1:14 AM, clivebaxter said:

I got mugged in Manila on a Sunday morning in 1998, never went back, there was an air of desperation about the place

The philos have been known as the thieves of Asia forever.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2