One Less Farang

Makoshark

Just now, BritManToo said:

You missed out on the full Asian menu.

haha    not exactly........... but i will not share as it could go wayyyyy off topic.  

stayed for a while in Phillipines   longggg ago.   My story there is how i almost got clonked

for telling people that the old shell game going on was a scam.   

my name them was  Runoi

On 7/12/2021 at 8:36 AM, rumak said:

cost of living,   political correctness.  property taxes.   aggressive people.   obesity.  and a

few other things that can not be written on this forum.   The great example of a "melting pot"

where nothing mixed,  all just pieces floating around like dead bodies after an explosion.

No thanks .   Thirty years gone and happy for it.   Just my own opinion of course.

Such a shame.   It was such a beautiful country when the Indians were in charge. 

Yeah, I can understand those things occurring in again, areas being run by the political-party-that-shall-not-be-named. But tell me rumak, just what did you contribute to the betterment of the USA when you were there rather than now c**pping all over it now? And, are you receiving any retirement benefits coming forth from the USA such as social security, a pension, stock market dividends, etc, ??? I sense a bit of over-the-top-crotchety-old-fart syndrome going on here that is typical of many LOS expats who demand 1st world benefits at 3rd world prices and young women who can easily convince you they really and truly love you and how hansum you are...Oh, and BTW, most areas in the USA opened up months ago; no masks and we're even allowed to talk on trains too !!! How's that Chinese vaccine working out for you rumak ? oops, you can't even get that lousy stuff either. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On the topic of losing posters, it does seem the case that the regulars seem to be getting less frequent.

Not sure if it's anything with the name change, or just a general decline over time.

The demographic of the farang community in Thailand is also changing, because things always change!

Must admit I'm finding less interest in things I want to comment on.

I thought when we first moved back to the US we were going to do the snowbird thing, bit like the OP and it worked at the start, but that got derailed by covid.

In the interim, Mrs G who is a DoD contractor who can pretty much pick and choose the times she wants to work, has since all of this nightmare started got more into her work, and has less and less desire to go back on vacation.

So where I head in terms of my interest in Thailand, not sure. I still love the place even with all it's absurdities, but not having skin in the game, can dull your sense of interest in the place.

I don't think I'm alone in that scenario.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My party years started at age 52, and they were really wild. 11 years  from 2009 (age 52) until COVID.

6 hours ago, rumak said:

the 50's were my  heyday as well

Man, I love seeing posts like these. Gives me hope that my show is just getting started.

• Thanks 1

I hit Subic Bay in 1976 on my first ship at the age of 18. I spent soo much time in Olongapo and Subic City. Magsaysay was nothing but live band clubs. At that time it was the Pearl of the Orient or so the shirts said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cipher said:

Man, I love seeing posts like these. Gives me hope that my show is just getting started.

helps to be hansum....... sense of humor........... speak thai ................ and sexy .

will cost a lot less if you have those attributes,  not just a  "they all smile at me so i must be desirable"

mindset.       

Even the ones in it for money(all, to some degree) prefer interesting guys .............. not just jerks

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, driver52 said:

why do you need to use an 'expensive agent' to remain?

Because I want all my money to remain in my credit union in America. I am not jumping through the Immigration transfer hoops, when I can just pay a flat fee to stay. No choice until I can move to the Philippines.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rumak said:

helps to be hansum....... sense of humor........... speak thai ................ and sexy .

will cost a lot less if you have those attributes,  not just a  "they all smile at me so i must be desirable"

mindset.       

Even the ones in it for money prefer interesting guys .............. not just jerks

Oh lol. I didn't specifically mean about girls. Naughty nightlife has never really been my scene, although after Covid maybe I should check it out with one of you guys for that authentic life experience (let's do it).

My comment was meant more generally. Like, when I see posts like yours, it's reassuring for me to know that there's potentially decades of meaningful adventure left if I so choose, and not just a 60-year downhill slide into oblivion (like most people seem to succumb to).

• Confused 1

My comment was meant more generally. Like, when I see posts like yours, it's reassuring for me to know that there's potentially decades of meaningful adventure left if I so choose, and not just a 60-year downhill slide into oblivion (like most people seem to succumb to).

no offense.    but are you a troll ?     60 year downhill slide ?     how old are you,  like 20 years old ?

too much weirdness in your post for me to get near it   555 ( you know that one? )

and my compadre ," meaningful adventure "  all depends on whether one has what it takes .   Only you

will be the one to know that .   Jump into the fishbowl,   young man

3 minutes ago, rumak said:

no offense.    but are you a troll ?     60 year downhill slide ?     how old are you,  like 20 years old ?

too much weirdness in your post for me to get near it   555 ( you know that one? )

and my compadre ," meaningful adventure "  all depends on whether one has what it takes .   Only you

The future of Thai Visa Forum or whatever they call it now. They're taking over.

5 minutes ago, rumak said:

I'm 30 lol. Certainly am a troll, but that post was genuine.

In my late 50s I was the fittest and strongest I'd ever been, cycling, hiking, trail running. Drinking, chasing women ........... Hardly any 30 year old's could keep up!

At 65 I'm still walking 6Km/day ....... but slowing down now.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

Because I want all my money to remain in my credit union in America. I am not jumping through the Immigration transfer hoops, when I can just pay a flat fee to stay. No choice until I can move to the Philippines.

thanks, interesting, what's this 'flat fee' that you pay?

On 7/10/2021 at 3:09 PM, BritManToo said:

October or November of what year?

I've penciled in next spring (2022) as a wish but as things are progressing both in Thailand and Europe, I imay not return until the end of 2022. 

Fortunately,  the current drip drip of the Baht weakening, would probably give me greater spending power. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, driver52 said:

thanks, interesting, what's this 'flat fee' that you pay?

It was 500 dollars last time. I am hoping it will not increase this year. Basically it's just a "brown envelope" payment to waive all the other requirements. Obviously, no one can say if it will continue to be available. Sooner or later, Immigration will get rid of all but the wealthiest foreigners. My paltry 2500 USD a month does not qualify me for the regular method since I need all my money in my American bank, in order to pay bills. I refuse to prop up Thai banks in their "sweetheart deal" with Immigration. Some agents have priced themselves out of the running. My agent is satisfied with a smaller cut because she runs a number of businesses on the side. She gets rent money for my condo, runs a minimart and does visa work, along with her son, who is a computer whiz.

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2021 at 10:14 PM, driver52 said:

why would I ask the government when they lie all the time?

AND why do they collect taxes when they can print infinite money? Therefore tax is theft

So not only do they lie but they steal as well! ????

????????????  The money they print has to be backed by something - Taxes are their source of income

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I've often thought the expat community fall into three broad categories

1. The ones that crash and burn with months or a year or so, returning home will their tail between their legs.

2. The decade brigade, who aren't that unhappy, but for various reasons from boredom to children etc just want to move on. (We fall into this one)

3. The diehards. These range from the 'trapped' to the genuinely happy who will end up being BBQ'd at the local temple

Are there no happy and content foreigners in Thailand ?

• Haha 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are there no happy and content foreigners in Thailand ?

Isn't that what I just said. 

I wasn't unhappy. I was bored, as a lot of folks I think around the 10year mark get.

And I know whole range of folks in the diehard category, from the ones who despise the place but can't move to those who adore it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I wasn't unhappy. I was bored, as a lot of folks I think around the 10year mark get.

And I know whole range of folks in the diehard category, from the ones who despise the place but can't move to those who adore it

Wanting to "move on" suggests that they are not happy and content 

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Wanting to "move on" suggests that they are not happy and content 

Maybe we have a different definition of 'content'

I'm happy with my current TV, but I'll guarantee in a couple of years I'll get bored with it and want to move on to a newer model.

Not to say I hate my old TV,but I'll want something different.

I've lived in a lot of countries, and so many homes I've kinda lost count. 

Don't think I ever hated or disliked any of them. Things and people change, and for many of us what you want today, may well not be what you want in 5,10,15 years.

Don't confuse wanting something different with being unhappy

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Maybe we have a different definition of 'content'

I'm happy with my current TV, but I'll guarantee in a couple of years I'll get bored with it and want to move on to a newer model.

Not to say I hate my old TV,but I'll want something different.

I've lived in a lot of countries, and so many homes I've kinda lost count. 

Don't think I ever hated or disliked any of them. Things and people change, and for many of us what you want today, may well not be what you want in 5,10,15 years.

Don't confuse wanting something different with being unhappy

There is quite a difference between wanting to get a new television and wanting to change your life by moving somewhere else  .

If you want a new and different life , you cannot really be happy and content with your current life 

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, garyk said:

I left a couple of years ago (after 10 years there). Now looking for a new place to call home. Hummm

still looking ????   must not be so easy

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

All they need to do is go back to the system they had when I got here. Once a year, I got a stat declaration from the American Embassy and took it to Immigration and got an extension of stay for one year for about 2000 baht. Immigration wanted a gold plated guarantee from Embassies and both British and American Embassies told them to stuff it. They left their expats holding the bag. It should not cost me more than about 2000 baht to get an extension every year. Embassies do nothing but create problems for their expats and Immigration finds a way to profit from that sour attitude. Embassy personnel want to attend parties and do next to nothing for the people they supposedly represent. President Biden needs to clean house and replace the staff with people who want to work.

Not sure what the Brits need to do. They have problems of their own.

• Like 2