One Less Farang

Makoshark

On 7/10/2021 at 11:45 PM, BE88 said:

Thanks for the photo where it is clear that the security guard has not a gun but a rifle and this is what I initially found on all the security guards in Makati, the richest neighborhood in Manila.

Actually it is not a rifle.  It is a shotgun with a pistol grip.  

Not really a country I would want to visit or even think about living in.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2021 at 9:55 PM, lanng khao said:

What was that poster called canary something, lived in Pattaya on 6,000 baht a month, he was funny nothing fazed him, put some great posts out .

Canary Sun I think.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chalawaan said:

We got a place you might be interested in, I can DM you details. Not a rooster for miles, well managed body corporate with input from the residents, mature high hedge hobby garden with lotsa kitchen herbs, great neighbours (two are barely ever there!) security up the wazoo, and Raumchok is walkable without breaking a sweat. It's just off the highway, there's ONE traffic light between us and the airport if you use the tunnels, and also the traffic noise doesn't reach us, the local bars when they're running are the better type. The music from them is faint enough to be cancelled by the white noise of the aircon. We're going to Korat, she wants to be near her very ancient mama. 

the description of your current location sounds fantastic, what about the location in Korat??

On 7/10/2021 at 9:42 PM, billd766 said:

I have been here since November 2003 and I have not seen that many familiar names any more.

I check over newbies (to me) names, and some of them have been registered for years and never posted more than 5 or 6 times a year.

IMHO it has been losing good posters for several years now but nobody upstairs seem to care. I know that they have thousands of posters still on the books, but active posters are getting thin on the ground.

That’s because there are a lot more options.  FB groups are full of people and there’s Reddit and other sites too.  

Sadly, ThaiVisa went from a place people used to recommend 20 years ago, to now where it’s a place people recommend you avoid.  

The demographics of travelers to Thailand has changed dramatically over the years.  

There are a lot more younger faces.  People with sources of income from overseas so less teachers/retirees as a percentage of the total expat population.  

I don’t think TVF has done a good job at bringing in that new blood.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if that wasn’t at least partially responsible for the new direction here.  

The ThaiVisa brand was too negative, too toxic, too cynical for the new blood. 

But you need both.  And maybe the new brand brings in some of the newer folks.  

• Like 2

On 7/11/2021 at 8:03 PM, gk10012001 said:

Accommodate is one thing, but doing business is another.  I don't want Thailand to bend over backwards.   Charge reasonable fees, and rates and take the money.  Many retirees support Thai families, Pay for elderly care from Thai care takers, buy food, pay rent, etc.  Many can be excellent teachers for low to mid level technical things such as math science or engineering.  Maybe not the most current, but sure could teach algebra, calculus, engineering 101, etc.  I know I can and would love to tutor part time.  I have a BS and MS in engineering and math and would love to tutor on the side while retired in Thailand to keep my mind active.  

In the West you need a teachers degree in order to teach, in Thailand its the same. Do you have a teachers degree so you can tutor Thai students? If you have you could apply for a teaching job. One can not expect any country to let unqualified people teach. 

Reasonable fees and rates (the same) to be charged to Western immigrants/any tourist would be great and necesary. Its what i totally dislike myself. To the point of avoiding these venues. 

3 minutes ago, MayBeNow said:

Do you have a teachers degree so you can tutor Thai students? If you have you could apply for a teaching job. One can not expect any country to let unqualified people teach. 

Actually I do .......but the pay isn't enough to get me out of bed.

Not that I need the money, no matter what was offered.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, digibum said:

That’s because there are a lot more options.  FB groups are full of people and there’s Reddit and other sites too.  

Sadly, ThaiVisa went from a place people used to recommend 20 years ago, to now where it’s a place people recommend you avoid.  

The demographics of travelers to Thailand has changed dramatically over the years.  

There are a lot more younger faces.  People with sources of income from overseas so less teachers/retirees as a percentage of the total expat population.  

I don’t think TVF has done a good job at bringing in that new blood.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if that wasn’t at least partially responsible for the new direction here.  

The ThaiVisa brand was too negative, too toxic, too cynical for the new blood. 

But you need both.  And maybe the new brand brings in some of the newer folks.  

Anonymous forums are quite old fashioned these days , they were new and exciting 20 odd years ago where for the first time you could meet with like minded people .

Many people moved on to twitter, tik tok etc 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2021 at 8:16 PM, rumak said:

One thing i've noticed is that there are a heck of a lot LESS  farangs on this new named site

that i had grown somewhat fond of  .    Seems like the purge has been successful.

Now there's just 2 or 3 that I even recognize.  And I'm one of them !

Hi mate.

40 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

This is an extremely interesting observation.

As a member of a younger generation and a person who is generally not of the demographic that consider to be the typical site user here, I initially joined specifically because I was curious about the lives of the older guys that I see around but have no opportunity to interact with.

The first thing that hit me as a newbie was the degree of negativity and xenophobia here, as well as the relatively uniform profile of the typical member here (if you're reading this, you are one of the unique ones, don't worry). It's a noticeably different atmosphere than the other online/offline communities in which I spend time and a very different vibe than I get from the younger guys in Thailand that I know. It often doesn't feel worth it to write good posts with high information content, and so I've mostly stuck around to troll.

When I joined up, I imagined I'd make some older friends on here, and one day we'd all have a jaunt down to a British-style pub and I'd get to listen to war stories and it would be a neat little life experience thing. But now, I'm really not so sure that the average forumer is someone that I want to meet (again, if you're reading this, that does not apply to you. You are awesome!).

This is great. It takes me back to recent years working in management consulting as an older 'sage' (if I may go so far as to call myself that!). In my late 50's I became good friends with many younger professionals/people like you and while it usually took some time, deep friendships were cultivated. I still correspond with many of my former young colleagues back in the states, even though I do, at times, struggle to understand their constant need to push forward without sometimes considering the consequences of their actions :).

I always felt younger people appreciated that I came from an impoverished background and was relatively successful in my field. This resulted in a mutual respect that made it easier to have a dialogue and also helped form the foundation of a relationship, more than if I had just been some curmudgeon of a leader to them. 

Me as said sage:

yoda.thumb.PNG.8fe12501823f56851cd4358b27216a11.PNG

While some may refer to this as 'Thailand's version of a good ole' boys network', what I find is there are some sharp tacks on here and it forces me to think before spouting off.

Edited by DBath
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Genix said:

Hmm I'm considering changing my return flight to Thailand from early September to early October.

Chances of life returning to normal (can go out to restaurants / bar)  in September are very slim - would that be a fair assumption?

In a bit of a dilemma....

I'm not Nostradamus, but I think nothing will be normal even in October. Maybe January. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Hi mate.

Nice to meet you.   Most people call me DUDE .....  you know,  big putdown   haha

i have been to aussie land though,  and know what it means to "chuck a youieee" . 

I just was a little shook up when someone asked me " you come here to die,  mite ?"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ganesh108 said:

I'm not Nostradamus, but I think nothing will be normal even in October. Maybe January. 

Things wont get back to normal until the virus has ceased to exist , which will be when the majority of the World has been vaccinated . 

Thailand may relax the rules when 80-90 % of Thais have been vaccinated . 

This is on the condition that the Delta variant and any new variants can be contained and vaccinated against .  

You need to look at years , rather than months before Thailand gets back to normal 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

The first thing that hit me as a newbie was the degree of negativity and xenophobia here, as well as the relatively uniform profile of the typical member here (if you're reading this, you are one of the unique ones, don't worry). It's a noticeably different atmosphere than the other online/offline communities in which I spend time and a very different vibe than I get from the younger guys in Thailand that I know. It often doesn't feel worth it to write good posts with high information content, and so I've mostly stuck around to troll.

I find a lot of what you’re saying true of the old guard here in Thailand.   

I’ve been a frequent traveler to Thailand for about 20 years but mostly hang out with people 10 - 20 years younger than myself.   

Most of the older guys I knew 20 years ago are still permanently installed at the same bars, telling the same stories.  

Literally, if I pop up to Bangkok and go to some of my old favorite bars, it’s like I just went to the bathroom and came back.  Nothing has changed.   

The younger people just seem to have more going on with their lives.  

And if they’re very active on other communities, helping each other, being supportive.  

Sometimes I find them to be a little naive, but I much prefer that than to listen to some guy telling me his story about how Thais are racists.  

On 7/10/2021 at 11:16 PM, rumak said:

One thing i've noticed is that there are a heck of a lot LESS  farangs on this new named site

that i had grown somewhat fond of  .    Seems like the purge has been successful.

Now there's just 2 or 3 that I even recognize.  And I'm one of them !

You're not getting rid of me that easily.

2 minutes ago, digibum said:

Sometimes I find them to be a little naive, but I much prefer that than to listen to some guy telling me his story about how Thais are racists.  

Says the 'Farang' ..... no, wait, that's a Thai term of affection for white foreigners.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, digibum said:

I find a lot of what you’re saying true of the old guard here in Thailand.   

I’ve been a frequent traveler to Thailand for about 20 years but mostly hang out with people 10 - 20 years younger than myself.   

Most of the older guys I knew 20 years ago are still permanently installed at the same bars, telling the same stories.  

Literally, if I pop up to Bangkok and go to some of my old favorite bars, it’s like I just went to the bathroom and came back.  Nothing has changed.   

The younger people just seem to have more going on with their lives.  

And if they’re very active on other communities, helping each other, being supportive.  

I too had been vising Thailand for upwards of 20 years, but I have lived here semi permanently for the past 8 years.  I have a few friends here, all farang and all around my age, or maybe a few years younger, but with masses of life experience to share socially.  None of us are bar stool people, we meet up at coffee shops, restaurants, golf clubs and occasionally at each others houses. As for many ( many) of the westerners any of us meet, in and around Pattaya for example, they are best kept at a long distance, just as you would if you met them in your home country.  

• Like 2

Certainly the jury is out as to whether I stay on this forum or not. So far it has added some value, but the level of debate/discussion on some issues is not what I expected  and is, shall we say, somewhat disappointing, so far.  As a general information source, I'm not yet sure if it adds anything to other, perhaps more reliable sources for expats.  We shall see.  

Just now, Doctor Tom said:

Certainly the jury is out as to whether I stay on this forum or not. So far it has added some value, but the level of debate/discussion on some issues is not what I expected  and is, shall we say, somewhat disappointing, so far.  As a general information source, I'm not yet sure if it adds anything to other, perhaps more reliable sources for expats.  We shall see.  

If you really want to see the value, post a question about how to transfer money into and out of Thailand. You'll be amazed at the plethora of responses you get. Also, if you ever have any questions about visas, there are many who know their sh!t here. Or how to buy/sell a car or motorbike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1