If You Live In Phuket

N47HAN

Wondered what all you fellow people do here on this wonderfull island ?

For me .... have a product supply company to the developments here .

And for you ???................

Well I take the family to beach, visit friends shop at Tesco, Big C oh and Super Cheap and mostly enjoy being on this Island , Sad Eh? :D:o:D

I'm a professional writer. Much of the time I sit tapping away at a keyboard in my office that looks out over a palm grove with Ao Chalong in the background. I also teach scuba diving one-on-one (proper work permit for that as well).

Edited by mfiskong

Not there yet but when I do will be...

learning some Thai of course

learning to swim (sad :o )

walking, driving, seeing new places

making new friends

finding new eateries and pubs

reading more books

avoiding PC screen (too much of that)

Nice, positive post - I agree it is a wonderful island, but there seem to be so many knockers (as in negativity!). Sure there are issues, but there always have been. It's a great place.

Like Steven I have a Dive Center in Kata and a small branch directly on Karon beach. Any spare time I spend with my animals. Been here for 13 years young in comparison to some ex pats living here.

Edited by Chantal

Doesn't sound like people are doing much outside of their business interests. Would I be right in assuming it would be easy to pick up Australian TV programs, including SBS, from a satellite dish and Radio Australia loud and clear? I don't think I could stand too much of CNN.

Well... on regular cable service (as in piped in by wire) we have BBC, Fox, Australia Network (quite good). DV Tv (German, hour German, next hour repeat in English, quite good), TV3 (French). Many years back I used to be an avid veiwer or CNN, but now .. no thanks, just so so bland.

I go to motocross tracks 2-3 days a week and on sundays go up in the mountains with another 15 guys on motocross bike for about 6 hours(very scary).apart from that go to the beach,cinema,shopping,and a few beers.lived in samui,phuket has it all.

Just a note...

lived in bangkok a couple of years , went to the coast , hua-hin , cha-am , patts once a month.

lived here about the same and been to the beach ...... err once! go figure !!!!!!!

:o

I am cooking...............

Now that's a surprise! I imagined that Phuket would be the sort of place where you would never have to cook again. Plenty of cheap but tasty Thai food stalls open all hours.

Well... on regular cable service (as in piped in by wire) we have BBC, Fox, Australia Network (quite good). DV Tv (German, hour German, next hour repeat in English, quite good), TV3 (French). Many years back I used to be an avid veiwer or CNN, but now .. no thanks, just so so bland.

I suppose my concern is, would I have to forego some of my favourite free-to-air TV programs on the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) and on ABC radio such as The Science Show with Robin Williams, Late Night Live with Phillip Adams etc, or would I not be able to get more than what any good hotel in Phuket subscribes to? I believe some of the nationally broadcast ABC radio programs are rebroadcast on Radio Australia (or are available on the internet), but the national free-to-air TV programs might be a problem?

Interesting to see how others spend their time and to get a few ideas. I'm coming back to Phuket in two weeks after spending a few months working abroad... I was hoping to spend a lot of time at the beach but from what I hear, there's a bit of wet weather around so now I might have to find some indoor activities.

So I guess I'll be:

Learning more Thai

Joining a gym

Maybe mountain-biking or trying some muay thai

Possibly some consultancy work

Doing the house work :o

Diving

I've not been living in Phuket for very long and would like to ask those who said they had a dive centre, what it's like for finding diving work here? I'm an MSDT, and speak a few languages. I was thinking I might look into doing some more teaching as an option? Is it best to wait until something is advertised online or call in at local dive centres? How do you normally find your instructors?

I am cooking...............

Now that's a surprise! I imagined that Phuket would be the sort of place where you would never have to cook again. Plenty of cheap but tasty Thai food stalls open all hours.

Misunderstanding?

I work as a Chef :o

Gerd

Inspectorgadget with your language skills you should easily be able to find work as an Instructor. There is a shortage of really skilled and pro Instructors on Phuket and if you want to find employment it would be best to personally pop in to the DC's with your CV before the high season.

It is a requirement on Phuket (other areas in Thailand have different "rules" ) that you have a work permit (which you could set up as a small business as a freelance Instructor), but for the right person there are DC's who offer work permits for a full time Instructor.

BTW the daytrip diving is great at the moment. Usually we tend to see more marine life during the low season than during the high season due to the less amount of divers and boat surface traffic.

For more info please feel welcome to PM me. I can only but try and help.

Whatever you decide wishing you good luck with your new venture!

BarryZ, some of the free to air commercial television programmes are re-broadcast through Australia Network - obviously the ABC has some sort of arrangement in place. Might pay you to look-up what's available through the UBC website.

Yep, you can get all the footie, the Young and Feckless, Humphrey B bear, Playschool, the keep fit aerobic classes and lots of other programs exporting great Aussie culture abroad. Only joking about the footie of course - can usually get the AFL and NRL throughout the season.

Not just UBC service (expensive :D ). Karon Cable & Patong Cable also have Australian TV, some ABC programming shown on Australian Network service.

Yes but you get what you pay for... :o

Karon Cable offer a good range of programming and the picture is very good. I find the movies (in English) on offer are excellent (2 channels daytime, 3 in evening) and the 3 sports channels are terrific.

Patong Cable (PA) offer a terrible service, poor picture quality, frequent disconnections, and less channels in English compared to Karon Cable. PA have been around for over 10 years and their equipment is out of date. Have a new cable company in Patong called Dolphin, but I don't know much about their service.

UBC offers the best range of channels, and great picure quality. But it's also a great weather forecaster as you know heavy rain is coming when the NO SIGNAL icon comes on. It's also more than 5 times more expensive than the cable companies. I seem to remeber that when the footballs word cup was screened last year ?? that all the bars with UBC had to rush and install cable as UBC did not cover this event.