Mounting COVID-19 deaths in Thailand drive crematories to verge of failure

snoop1130

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just 1 crematorium, the only one doing the job for free under the circumstances and yes they have coffins stacked in waiting.  

Does that mean if you die in Nakhon Nowhere and unable to afford the fee, you're immediately shipped off to this temple for cremation? 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I've said this before. Please do not keep spoiling exciting stories with sensible reasoning and facts.......If deaths do increase substantially there is the option of 'Viking funerals' floating the deceased down-river to the sea......

It was tried in India with disastrous results, bodies being washed all along the river. 

21 hours ago, timendres said:

Thailand's death rate is 7.9 (deaths per year per one thousand people).

With roughly 70M people, that is approximately 1,500 people per day.

( 7.9 x ( 70,000,000 / 1000 ) / 365 ) = 1,515 people per day.

50 to 100 additional people per day is bringing this system to the "verge of failure"?

You beat me to it...  Unless only a handful of Crematoriums are allowed to cremate Covid-19 victims the increase in deaths is negligible...   There must be thousands of crematoriums in Thailand. 

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It's a shame that this has happened.  I would hope that the Sangha Council provides money to build a new crematorium.  How many other big Wats are also helping for free and if not why?

Probably very few, remember money making is the sole purpose of many wats, Buddhism (Thai style) is secondary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

This seems like something that ought to be getting Government funding.

or maybe some of the richer temples could take a bit more of the strain, without collecting so much in the collection plate......

On 7/13/2021 at 12:59 PM, ThailandRyan said:

It's a shame that this has happened.  I would hope that the Sangha Council provides money to build a new crematorium.  How many other big Wats are also helping for free and if not why?

On the verge of failure ? The reported daily deaths are around the 80 mark throughout Thailand and this is difficult to deal with ?  Maybe a daily report from crematoriums would be a true reflection of covid deaths because a small rise of 80 per day spread country wide should be manageable . The Thai daily reporting on covid stats is I believe inaccurate and on a similar misreporting as that of India