Thailand considering limits on AstraZeneca vaccine exports

webfact

3 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Over 550 million in tax money has been given towards the privately owned factory as a precursor to paid in vaccines.

It would have been cheaper to have bought the vaccines on the open market.

Sure, but it could have been a donation to his beloved people, isn't it? 

9 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

They need to start getting multiple private companies that have experience making vaccines.

Vaccine production is very methodical and tricky.  Even experienced product facilities will have hiccups.

Having just one company making ONE vaccine has proven costly and a detriment to the Thai health system.

I understand that the company making the AZ vaccine in Thailand is the only company with, at least some, relevant experience.

Siam Bioscience

Siam Bioscience Co., Ltd., the first and only biopharmaceuticals manufacturer in Thailand, was founded in 2009 to preserve and continue in the reign of His Majesty King Rama X what His Majesty King Rama IX had started—to care for the people’s health and wellbeing.

AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine is a modified adenoviral vector grown in mammalian cells. Siam Bioscience has experience with manufacturing and exporting products that use such mammalian cell technology such as, erythropoietin (EPO), which is used to treat chronic renal failure patients, and filgrastim (GCSF) for cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. The company's plants achieved multiple international standards such as PIC/s GMP, ISO9001, ISO17025, and ISO13485, provide an integrated solution for every step of the process and, as the largest biopharmaceutical manufacturer in Thailand, we have the available capacity to expand production lines in the future. With the world-class quality standards and operational excellence, AstraZeneca chooses Thailand’s Siam Bioscience as its technology transfer and manufacturing partner in ASEAN region.

Source:   https://www.astrazeneca.com/country-sites/thailand/press-release/astrazeneca-commences-new-covid-19-vaccine-supply-chain-in-thailand.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

It almost sounds as though they are considering nationalizing the plant/process/product owing to "National Security" concerns?

I'm sure that they can announce an emergency "something"and keep all vaccines for themselves with little consequences. Other countries have done similar.

Even if they stopped exporting for three months, the rest of SEA is still going to need AZ in 3 months time.

13 minutes ago, Caspersfriend said:

I understand that the company making the AZ vaccine in Thailand is the only company with, at least some, relevant experience.

Siam Bioscience

Siam Bioscience Co., Ltd., the first and only biopharmaceuticals manufacturer in Thailand, was founded in 2009 to preserve and continue in the reign of His Majesty King Rama X what His Majesty King Rama IX had started—to care for the people’s health and wellbeing.

AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine is a modified adenoviral vector grown in mammalian cells. Siam Bioscience has experience with manufacturing and exporting products that use such mammalian cell technology such as, erythropoietin (EPO), which is used to treat chronic renal failure patients, and filgrastim (GCSF) for cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. The company's plants achieved multiple international standards such as PIC/s GMP, ISO9001, ISO17025, and ISO13485, provide an integrated solution for every step of the process and, as the largest biopharmaceutical manufacturer in Thailand, we have the available capacity to expand production lines in the future. With the world-class quality standards and operational excellence, AstraZeneca chooses Thailand’s Siam Bioscience as its technology transfer and manufacturing partner in ASEAN region.

Source:   https://www.astrazeneca.com/country-sites/thailand/press-release/astrazeneca-commences-new-covid-19-vaccine-supply-chain-in-thailand.html

Very self promotional, similar to there website.

Funny the company only has two reviews.

I couldn't find any other company either.

Hopefully they can get it together and start producing at levels  promisesd.

There not very transparent so nobody knows what the problem is.  They've pushed delivery to May now.

I understand that they must try treat their own people first but I am sure the vaccine is only made in Thailand and not owed by them and people who have invested would want to see returns on that investment after all it's just business. So I cant see Thailand not exporting or even limiting exports on a vaccine that us only made here

7 minutes ago, QballQ said:

I'm sure that they can announce an emergency "something"and keep all vaccines for themselves with little consequences. Other countries have done similar.

Even if they stopped exporting for three months, the rest of SEA is still going to need AZ in 3 months time.

Its a binding contract.  I guess they could with repurcussions.  Malaysia, a delivery recipient is having a much worse time.  Im sure there upset.

Although its owned by one person Astra is providing the elixir and testing.

28 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

More bad news reported today:

What's worse than a sharp stick in the eye?

Two sharp sticks in both eyes.

Wow.

That's the end of this coalition/government.

No second doses for anyone, give as many people as possible at least one dose.

Edited by mtls2005

11 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Very self promotional, similar to there website.

Funny the company only has two reviews.

I couldn't find any other company either.

Hopefully they can get it together and start producing at levels  promisesd.

There not very transparent so nobody knows what the problem is.  They've pushed delivery to May now.

Not currently looking good for their "Hub of Vaccines in S.E.Asia" ambitions

Edited by Caspersfriend
Typo

19 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Its a binding contract.  I guess they could with repurcussions.  Malaysia, a delivery recipient is having a much worse time.  Im sure there upset.

Although its owned by one person Astra is providing the elixir and testing.

From what I understand they could go against the patent law and just mass produce it for themselves, under an emergency order. In practice I don't know what that looks like as I am sure there are AZ experts required to be present to make sure it all works - they could go all Breaking Bad and chain them up like Jessy Pinkman in final season.....

6 minutes ago, QballQ said:

From what I understand they could go against the patent law and just mass produce it for themselves, under an emergency order. In practice I don't know what that looks like as I am sure there are AZ experts required to be present to make sure it all works - they could go all Breaking Bad and chain them up like Jessy Pinkman in final season.....

They already have an 'Emergency Decree' in place, they'll just say it's for the ubiquitous 'National Security'

BTW, when did Thailand start honouring patents?

Edited by Caspersfriend
None
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe Mama said:

Apparently the company producing the Astra Zeneca is a Thai company!  With the cases in Thailand now skyrocketing, it's time for the government to order the production for the people of Thailand 1st!  Similar to what the US did when they couldn't get enough ventilators early on in the pandemic!  The government order several manufacturing  firms such as General Motors to change their production lines from cars to ventilators!  This later resulted in a surplus of ventilators, which America then donated to other countries in need of them! 

The company producing Astra Zeneca is a Thai company under license from Astra Zeneca to make the vaccine for Astra Zeneca to sell to countries that order it from them...including Thailand.

Siam Bioscience, the Thai manufacturing company, report to Astra Zeneca, not Thailand.

Thailand have zero say in where the vaccines go, but I am sure am interested in following this situation and Thailand throwing a tantrum.

Indonesia could rightly claim they need more vaccines as their situation is 4 times worse than Thailand...but I'm sure they will be happy just to get their allocation and not have Thailand commandeer them.

• Like 1

I had my first shot of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines the last one person in the family and maids all before me. Reason no Thai ID number. Got help from someone that new the system and was able to sign me up. Still have not been able to register for the Privet Hospital Modern sign always full right after stating that they are taking registrations. All the privet Hospital , My believe is that the staff sign up before hand and only very few other outsiders get to. With said I have written by Rep and 2 Senators that’s happening here asking them to attached to all sales of the vaccine’s that they must be  available  to all people in the country receiving them and if found that they are not following the rule to stop all further sales and they forfeit any payments for vaccines not delivered..  

Edited by Dickp

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Oh the irony, Thailand actually manufacture the AZ vaccine and send overseas while thousands of it own people are dying like flies, that is very hard to comprehend...

Prob no money in it

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

We'll see about that in due course

Not only India cut back or stop shipments of vaccine to countires but Russia also had to cut back on deliveries as they had to fight a spike in infections in their own country. Thailand will do the same   However they need to fix the problem with their low production of vaccine and untill then order Pfizer/Moderna.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QballQ said:

The "Breaking Bad" maybe there best option.

What a great idea.

5 hours ago, Keesters said:

Contracts can and often are broken. 

If the contract is broken can the licence to produce be withdrawn by AZ?

If Thailand continues to produce without a licence is that stealing IP

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Oh the irony, Thailand actually manufacture the AZ vaccine and send overseas while thousands of it own people are dying like flies, that is very hard to comprehend...

As like anything to do with the Government in Thailand it is never about the Thai people it is always about money and the select few that will gain financially, death and suffering is always an exceptable by-product of greed and corruption 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Lucky you. Up here in the mountains there are no vaccines for anyone, of any type.

i hope you guys will get yours soon as i said i think i only got it because of this sandbox <deleted> as the island has to be 70% vaccinated im not building my hopes on my 2nd vaccine which is meant to be October 1st

4 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Over 550 million in tax money has been given towards the privately owned factory as a precursor to paid in vaccines.

It would have been cheaper to have bought the vaccines on the open market.

But somebody's obscene wealth would not have become even more obscene.  Billionaires now want to be trillionaires because he who dies with the most money - wins!!!
If you leave massive poverty, suffering, and despair in your wake, you get bonus points.

• Like 1

They have never worried about protectinism before so why should they start now? Look at Beer Laos as a prime example. But that is only due to Thai politicians in the pockets of drinks manufactures! Beer Laos, actually far superior to all Thai beers. If allowed in, Singha, Leo etc would be decimated. Don't you call this protectionism despite ASEAN?

13 hours ago, kiteman9 said:

Ok lets say your home is full of many family,and freinds that are getting sick and dyeing from a virus. The supply of vaccines you have to control and save the lives of your household is limited at the time and barely enough. Do you think it is a good idea to sell some of your limited supply of vaccines to the outside world?

depends if a foreigner only gave you the recipe because you promised to use it for the global good, rather than your own efforts which would have come to approximately nil......

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If the contract is broken can the licence to produce be withdrawn by AZ?

If Thailand continues to produce without a licence is that stealing IP

Depends on the conditions of contract. Penalties could be many or none. No one can answer your questions without knowledge of the actual contract. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nahkit said:

Are you aware that the Indian version of the AZ vaccine isn't currently recognised by the EU? 

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/07/02/indian-made-astrazeneca-vaccines-not-recognised-by-eu-passport-scheme/

Are you aware that 15 EU countries do?

https://www.livemint.com/news/world/covishield-is-now-recognised-by-15-european-countries-for-travel-green-pass-11625874770571.html

Edited by shdmn