Pfizer, BioNTech deny talks with Thai Thonburi Healthcare on vaccines

snoop1130

17 hours ago, Pottinger said:

"US pharmaceutical companies are said to have walked away from Thailand rather than contravene the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act."

<Link to a potentially very risky article removed, you can Google the above quote>

Good article it didn't cut anyone any slack. The writer wasn't worried about a BS la majest law 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

There is precisely the perfect person in the Kingdom who has strong associations with Germany. Beseeching BioNTech on our behalf would go a long, long way. This is not playing politics, just caring for loyal subjects. And think of the positive PR!

Problem is, they have dug themselves into a hole; there is no possibility that it can be openly admitted that existing plans are inadequate, and have been from the beginning, without it reflecting extremely badly on certain powerful people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, marty147 said:

Is anyone able to access and read the article?

Maybe it's already been blocked by our glorious leader!

was able to read it in the last 5 minutes. It pulls no punches in it's criticisms of everybody that is considered elite or wealthy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pottinger said:

Problem is, they have dug themselves into a hole; there is no possibility that it can be openly admitted that existing plans are inadequate, and have been from the beginning, without it reflecting extremely badly on certain powerful people.

It's exactly the opposite effect that they hoped their vaccine rollout would have to the narrative. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nahkit said:

They were fined but the fines pretty much corresponded to the profit they stood to make, so, in other words, give us the money back and carry on as normal.

Not much of a deterrent is it?

Like when many British MP's were caught fiddling their expenses. Most were only required to return the money they had fiddled.

1 hour ago, jojothai said:

The UK yes, but you need a visit of about 10 weeks.
initial isolation then first dose. 6 to 11 days to get out.

8 weeks to second dose (the UK has now clamped down on the clinics doing any earlier)
At least one week to get COE preapproval, then bookings, then COE from Thai embassy.

I would suggest to go to UAE asap. Thailand is now getting red listed in EU, probably UK will follow soon.

Plenty of cheap flights by Etihad to UAE (from Bangkok and Phuket) and very reasonable accommodation costs. The return ticket probably is 500-600AUD and the flight is relatively short. Big drawback - it is July now and will be hot,hot,hot...

"August is the hottest month in Abu Dhabi with an average temperature of 35.5°C (96°F) and the coldest is January at 18°C (64°F) with the most daily sunshine hours at 13 in June. The wettest month is February with an average of 20mm of rain."

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Can anyone recommend a country to visit from Thailand for holiday and vaccine.

AU passport.

Serious question. I'm over this rubbish.

Do you plan to stay there and receive the 2nd shot?  It may be expensive to be fully vaccinated by travelling to another country.  The interval between 1st and 2nd shots is approx. 21–28 days (3–4 weeks), recommended by WHO.  Depending on the vaccine, the interval may be extended for up to 42 days – or even up to 12 weeks for some vaccines.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

"We are not in negotiations with the company," BioNTech said in an e-mail responding to a Reuters query about the deal. It also denied it was in negotiations with any Thai entity ...

... A Pfizer spokesman said the company was only in discussions with Thailand's health ministry and disease control department.

Pfizer needs to get it's story straight also!...

"[Pfizer] denied it was in negotiations with any Thai entity

A Pfizer spokesman said the company was in discussions with Thailand's health ministry and disease control department".

(No, we, Pfizer, are not negotiating with any Thai entity but, on the other hand, we are negotiating with a Thai entity known as the Thai government).

Or maybe it's the notoriously inaccurate Reuters that needs to get it's story right.

I was thinking about going home to Ohio, in the US to see my daughter and get the shots. However I would have to stay for a month at least living with her and her family. Not sure if they would be able to do that or not, based on the size of her family. It would be expensive to stay in hotels for a month minumum.

Edited by bstafford214

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Will the Chairman of Thonburi Healthcare Group be charged under the computer crimes act of spreading false news which led to his companies shares rising? Or is the act only used against those opposing the government?

Perhaps the news isn't false as Pfizer directly contradicts itself regarding which entities they are or aren't negotiating with in that Reuters OP.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And here Folks in addition to the above is this statement:

"Asked about the companies' denial, Boon later insisted a vaccine deal was still in the works, saying: "We are not doing it directly." He declined to elaborate"

This is why Thailand only has the AZ Vaccine and the SinoVac, and the little bit of Sinopharm.  No one trusts this corrupt nation and now AZ is starting to see what a mess has been made.....You can not make this stuff up.  Prepare for the worst but expect the worst to get even worse is all I can say....UGH.

If this holds ground, I would imagine that everyone (NOT ME) that paid up front for Moderna are going to be S.O.L. Try asking for a refund and get simple answer "no have"...

3 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

If this holds ground, I would imagine that everyone (NOT ME) that paid up front for Moderna are going to be S.O.L. Try asking for a refund and get simple answer "no have"...

Thai Government will use that money to buy more Sinovac from its Daddy in China

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Can anyone recommend a country to visit from Thailand for holiday and vaccine.

AU passport.

Serious question. I'm over this rubbish.

I was going to fly back to the US to visit family, handle personal matters and get vaccinated. Unfortunately my flight was cancelled by the airline and I will need to find another flight. In any event, there are many locations throughout the US where you can receive your vaccination of choice without the need for an appointment. Here is a link to the CDC website. Select the second link for information regarding available locations for vaccination. https://www.cdc.gov

Here’s a link for the US State Department where you should be able to find information regarding travel to the US. Quarantine restrictions will vary from

one state to the next, but for the most part, not required as of when I was planning on going. Things may have changed by now. https://www.state.gov

I hope this helps. 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, DLock said:

Brutal article.

The situation kèeps imploding, at ths ŕate Thailand will be lucky to retain 3rd nation status. With locals heading off to the hereafter at the current level the future doesn't look good, the MJR Members will be sloping of to South America.

• Like 1

It's pretty obvious that the final story will be that some 100 million doses are going to show up in 2022, after everyone is double vaccinated. And then there will be an edict that everyone should get more shots so the government doesn't lose face by having to toss the 100 million excess vaccines. 

1 minute ago, sharecropper said:

Has anyone paid upfront for Moderna at a private hospital? I was just asked by Samitivej Sri Racha, but the thought of handing over 6,000+ baht to this bent, useless government with NO REFUNDS for any reason really sticks in my throat.

Would you be paying to the hospital or somewhere else?

18 hours ago, Pottinger said:

"US pharmaceutical companies are said to have walked away from Thailand rather than contravene the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act."

<Link to a potentially very risky article removed, you can Google the above quote>

All the corruption in DC and they are worried about Thailand????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

I would suggest to go to UAE asap. Thailand is now getting red listed in EU, probably UK will follow soon.

Plenty of cheap flights by Etihad to UAE (from Bangkok and Phuket) and very reasonable accommodation costs. The return ticket probably is 500-600AUD and the flight is relatively short. Big drawback - it is July now and will be hot,hot,hot...

"August is the hottest month in Abu Dhabi with an average temperature of 35.5°C (96°F) and the coldest is January at 18°C (64°F) with the most daily sunshine hours at 13 in June. The wettest month is February with an average of 20mm of rain."

Thanks, 
Is the UAE vaccinating all tourists or do you have to get the remote working visa to qualify?
If you have to get the remote working visa there are conditions to meet. They are not too bad but people need to qualify and pay the fee.

9 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Thanks, 
Is the UAE vaccinating all tourists or do you have to get the remote working visa to qualify?
If you have to get the remote working visa there are conditions to meet. They are not too bad but people need to qualify and pay the fee.

Lol..it looks like they withdrew the free vaxxing for tourists 2 days after the widely published announcement:

https://apnews.com/article/abu-dhabi-middle-east-coronavirus-pandemic-coronavirus-vaccine-lifestyle-432eb38f5ea282ae89f6256ac36cfbea

Looks like so far the US is the safest bet if one can endure the flights to there,  and has enough funds to stay during the vaccination and the CoE issuance.