Deans of 10 of Thailand’s Faculties of Medicine Support Mix-and-Match Vaccine Strategy

snoop1130

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Deans of the Faculties of Medicine at 10 universities have issued a statement backing a mix-and-match vaccine strategy, to combat the fast-spreading Delta variant.

"Experts" now trump long-term peer-reviewed studies.
"We see some increase in antibodies in short-term studies so da*m the torpedoes and full speed ahead."

Whatever could go wrong? 
New Normal science: Slap together a study with a handful of "subjects" to find what you're looking for and get it into people's arms STAT.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I asked if the Dean's recommendations, sinovac + AZ, had a scientific basis. Not seeing much support for that in any of your post/articles?

OK, so it's an "idea".

Ideas are awesome.

Ten Thai Deans come up with an idea.

would be a better headline I guess?

And if it's such a great idea why wait until now to raise it?

I get that Thailand's options are limited.

No it was not only the "the ten deans", other immunologists, scientists , medical researchers, have reached similar conclusions, 

From the reported efficacy of  Sinovac, a booster seems like a reasonable thing to consider and study

Got a better idea ??????

10 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's not quite accurate. One WHO official said that individuals doing this on their own was "a little bit of a dangerous trend" and that "such decisions should be left to public health authorities."

Neither she nor the WHO as an organisation has come out definitively for or against it on an overall basis.

They have said its a "dangerous propesition".  

In any case there isnt much choice.  It didn't have to be this way.  So many wrong choices.

Really frightening times.

23 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Yes, I read the links. Did you read (and understand) my reply?

You asked if there is a scientific basis. My reply alludes to the fact that the principle of heterologous prime-boost has been established by its use with previous vaccines and that there are also positive indications regarding Covid vaccines.

It doesn't provide direct, incontrovertible evidence that a heterologous prime-boost will be effective, but it does provide a scientific basis for the idea.

See also the article below. Not only does it make specific reference to SinoVac in a heterologous prime-boost regimen, it also states the general principle that:

"Different types of vaccines boost the immune system in different ways, so multiple vaccines provide broader coverage." 

Is Mixing Vaccines More Effective?

The last sentence of the article you linked says this :-

"“So far, according to the amount of data we have, the best option is still not to mix vaccines,” says Ramon Lorenzo Redondo, a molecular virologist at Northwestern University."

On 7/17/2021 at 1:15 PM, Henryford said:

I always find it odd that China has had virtually no cases or deaths since March 2020, in a population of 1.4 billion. Obviously Sinovax works (pause for laughter).

Yep. Nothing to interrupt the conveyor belts working night and day to provide the contents of those Amazon boxes.