moderna shots to be alloted

rodknock

If you Google this thread title you get just one link to that news site we aren't allowed to link to but the news site and Google cache says:

"Not all people who have booked, and paid for, the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine from private hospitals will get all their shots since an allotment system will apply, according to the chairman of the Private Hospitals Association. Chalerm Harnphanich told Thai media late this week about the need for the allotment, which looks very much like a share subscription."

This kind of annoys me. I've paid for something up front, not something I usually do in Thailand, and now true to form they might not deliver?

Some hospitals well get their full allocation, the rest will have to play God with their patients

I will be calling my hospital today to find out what the situation is?

Suggest others who may be concerned do likewise

My Moderna bookings were at the BPH.

The head of the Contact Center (which is the office running the registration) is a relative (of wife).

She advised me yesterday that BPH would receive their ordered allocation because it was only for 5000 persons (ie: 10,000 doses).

Hospitals who registered many more people than 5,000 (eg: Thonburi Hospital group) would receive their 10,000 doses and the rest would be a pro rated amount shared among all the over registered hospitals.

I think this is the best info you will find at this time.

On 7/18/2021 at 3:44 AM, rodknock said:

when they do an allotment is it for 2doses of moderna for both vaccinations?

Who knows?

Hopefully if you make the initial cull, and prepaid for 2 doses, then maybe you'll get the second dose at +28 days.

Do I expect this to work out? Of course not, they'll (private hospitals) administer all of the first tranche (3.9 mm after the TRC skim, and maybe less after other skims), and then scramble to get more for the second doses. It will be ugly. (is my opinion/guess) 

I contacted Thonburi Health Group to request confirmation that mine and my wife’s prepaid “reservation” for the Moderna vaccine was included in their “allotment”. After a little give and take this was their response which gives me confidence we will get the Moderna shots when it arrives:

“As we already informed, the vaccine is expected to be delivered in the fourth quarter according to GPO.  Your payment is for this lot of vaccine.

The inoculation date depends on the timing when the vaccine is delivered.”

Edited by jeffandgop

1 minute ago, jeffandgop said:

After a little give and take this was their response which gives me confidence

So a front-line customer service rep eventually told you what you wanted to hear, and that gives you "confidence"? Good for you. We need more trusting and positive people these days.

3 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

the vaccine is expected to be delivered in the fourth quarter according to GPO

Some sort of contract is supposed to be signed tomorrow. Let's just keep that champers on ice for now.

My Moderna bookings were at the BPH. The head of the Contact Center (which is the office running the registration) is a relative (of wife). She advised me yesterday that BPH would receive their ordered allocation because it was only for 5000 persons (ie: 10,000 doses). Hospitals who registered many more people than 5,000 (eg: Thonburi Hospital group) would receive their 10,000 doses and the rest would be a pro rated amount shared among all the over registered hospitals.

I think this is the best info at this time...

Edited by couchpotato

@BBJ and @Heng

I have read both your last posts (especially BBJ) and as I just posted (4 posts ago) on the information I received from BPH.  Any doses over 10,000 are not guaranteed, therefore many hospitals will probably start refunding if you were not in the first 5,000 people to register (ie: 10,000 doses).

BPH only registered (and took payment) for 5,000 people (Thai's and foreigners), so they have been told their allocation will be made sometime in the 4th quarter.

9 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

@BBJ and @Heng

I have read both your last posts (especially BBJ) and as I just posted (4 posts ago) on the information I received from BPH.  Any doses over 10,000 are not guaranteed, therefore many hospitals will probably start refunding if you were not in the first 5,000 people to register (ie: 10,000 doses).

BPH only registered (and took payment) for 5,000 people (Thai's and foreigners), so they have been told their allocation will be made sometime in the 4th quarter.

But why refund and not just keep us in the list? 

I have pretty much given up ever getting a vaccine jab this side of Spring next year, maybe even summer.  I am not going to get bent out of shape about that, and neither am I going to get involved in the cluster fxxk that is Thailand' s vaccine registration  and supposed organised roll out for expats. I therefore not only have to put up with the risk to me; the Thais must accept that I, and others in my position,  may well represent a risk to others, due to their incompetence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBJ said:

Paid for Moderna.  Just been informed we will not receive it.

I would prefer to know now if I have failed to make the cull for my Moderna pre-paid vaccinations. That way I could adjust my plans.

I suspect though, that I will not find out until October.

On 7/18/2021 at 3:44 AM, rodknock said:

when they do an allotment is it for 2doses of moderna for both vaccinations?

We see that efficiency of mRNA vaccines become lower with every new virus variant appeared every 3 months. It is about 64% for Pfizer (data from Israel) against delta COVID and I suppose that it is nearly the same for Moderna made with the same mRNA technology. 64% is very close to Sinovac and AstraZeneca efficiency levels.
I expect that at the end of the year we will forget about delta variant of COVID and everybody will look for a medication for the deadliest omega variant. Moderna and Pfizer will be about 50% efficient against the omega variant (same as Sinovac and AZ) and it will be as easy to get Moderna as Sinovac. That is why Thailand is expecting Moderna deliveries at Q4 of this year.

Edited by friendofthai

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I would prefer to know now if I have failed to make the cull for my Moderna pre-paid vaccinations. That way I could adjust my plans.

I suspect though, that I will not find out until October.

You're an optimist, you may never find out, ever. 

On 7/24/2021 at 12:42 PM, couchpotato said:

@BBJ and @Heng

Coincidentally this afternoon I received the confirmation email from BPH for myself and family (2 x 2 doses for them, and booster for me). I called the contactcenter and they told me the government had allocated them their prescribed 10,000 doses (as they had only signed up 5,000 people).  Hopefully the vaccine will arrive in late October/November).

So there you have it.

36261.jpg

Edited by couchpotato
  • Like 2

Side-related: The 1.5 mm Pfizer doses, donated by the U.S. government, have been apportioned.

The best view of this is an infographic on the front page of the BP.

150,000 doses for 75,000 "Foreigners in Thailand (elderly and people with underlying conditions are prioritized)". Distribution is undefined at this point.

The scramble for this will be epic.

Expect delivery 29 July.