Red Cross confirms 1 million Moderna jabs arriving Q4

Jonathan Fairfield

yet contract to be signed tomorrow, or sometimes shortly. 

That is 3 months after the PM talk with their representatives in thailand, which sounded as an immediate action. If the approved this vax immediately and short cut all procedures, as it was done with sinopharm, it had chance arriving in Q3. 

On the very same day "dr" Anutin talked to sputnik representatives and deal suppose to be done pronto. Where are we now?

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

has had its order of 1 million doses of Moderna vaccine confirmed by the GPO for delivery starting in the fourth quarter this year,

good. only 65 million more doses needed. 

Is this fake news?? promising 5 million doses but suddenly give to the Red Cross 1,1 million?? 

Or telling all the time that it will com in October and now somewhere in the 4th quarter? Telling all the time it is ordered?? Reduct 1,1, million doses from a current order is that correct??

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Is this fake news?? promising 5 million doses but suddenly give to the Red Cross 1,1 million?? 

Or telling all the time that it will com in October and now somewhere in the 4th quarter? Telling all the time it is ordered?? Reduct 1,1, million doses from a current order is that correct??

If you have already paid for your Moderna shot, you just might be . . . a sucker.  If things worsen (do you think they will?), the government would be negligent if it didn't commandeer private stockpiles of vaccine during a pandemic.

• Like 2

1 million...to cover 500k ppl....less 1% of those need vaccination.

Even this delivered 3-5 months from now, if.

Is there really a reason to celebrate, or another fake media stunt, building on the premise that Thai lack in math education?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Secretary-General of the Thai Red Cross Society Tech Boonnak, announced today that the organization has had its order of 1 million doses of Moderna vaccine confirmed by the GPO for delivery starting in the fourth quarter this year, adding that the jabs will be supplied to the public free of charge.

The society plans to administer the vaccine to target groups such as medical workers, the underprivileged, the disabled, the bed-ridden, pregnant women and seniors over 70 years of age who are yet to be vaccinated.

I would have thought that before 4th quarter these groups would already have been vaccinated under the government's vaccine roll out...????

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

They didn't "give" anything to the Red Cross. According to a talk with Bunnag that was online yesterday, the Red Cross started negotiations with Zuellig (the local rep for Moderna) before the Thai government ever did, but was not allowed to place an order because that could only be done via a government entity. Once the government started its own negotiations, Zuellig apparently told them that the Red Cross had already booked 1 million doses which would be part of the Thai allocation since they had come first.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Probably a lot of those people on this forum this past week or so who have been so sure of the Moderna reservation.  Frankly, I think anyone who paid for their shot will be lucky to get it. I'll bet the entire shipment is confiscated.

Well, my SWAG is 1 mm Thai people shelled out 5 billion baht for this first tranche of Moderna. Can't say they'll be happy.

Foreigners, are a minority I think, no more than 5%. Probably a lot less than that.

Full disclosure: I prepaid 3,400. My expectations were low going in, one in four I get one shot. Now, zero chance for me. So it's hope for a Pfizer lottery winner, or head back home.

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Well, my SWAG is 1 mm Thai people shelled out 5 billion baht for this first tranche of Moderna. Can't say they'll be happy.

Foreigners, are a minority I think, no more than 5%. Probably a lot less than that.

Full disclosure: I prepaid 3,400. My expectations were low going in, one in four I get one shot. Now, zero chance for me. So it's hope for a Pfizer lottery winner, or head back home.

Yes, there will be unhappiness for the Thai people--as well as farang. Frankly, were I the government I would commandeer private stocks of vaccines. That is what is done in an emergency. But I could be wrong. Is there another country that runs a private Covid vaccination program? Whatever happens, there are going to be fewer farang in Thailand after a few more months of this. One way or the other.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, khunjeff said:

They didn't "give" anything to the Red Cross. According to a talk with Bunnag that was online yesterday, the Red Cross started negotiations with Zuellig (the local rep for Moderna) before the Thai government ever did, but was not allowed to place an order because that could only be done via a government entity. Once the government started its own negotiations, Zuellig apparently told them that the Red Cross had already booked 1 million doses which would be part of the Thai allocation since they had come first.

It could be, but they never mentioned it and suddenly it appears...It was always said the order was 5 million doses  and not 4 million and a 1 million for the red cross or other organization.. Full proud the red Cross tells suddenly that they ordered 1 million doses and a few days later it is mentioned they are in the lot of 5 million.. Something fishy...no matter who and when and how they negoyiated, because no one will know

• Like 1

dr yong is already running thai scientific research which will come with recommendation for 1/4 of the regular moderna for the first shot on the ground it's better than full dose.

For that superior solution punters, who have already booked their shots, will be charged additional 1000b.

And everything would be dandy 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Latest reports: It's 1.1 mm and it's coming out of the 5 mm supposedly sold to customers.

No clue who paid for these 1.1 mm doses?

So that leaves 3.9 mm doses for private hospitals.

Now private hospitals have to figure out what to do. Refund money paid? Administer just one dose?

And quite obviously, the regime could seize all these Moderna vaccines, national security, and dispense them as they see fit.

Suspected this one would get ugly, just not this fast, nor this ugly.

From an article in the BP on Moderna allocation, private hospitals ordered a total of 7.7 million doses so that needs to be cut by 3.7 million for starters even the Red Cross have got 1 million of the 5 million doses on order.  There's 277 hospitals with a standard allocation of 10,000 per hospital, 194 hospitals will get their full allocation as they ordered less than 10K, the other 83 will receive a minimum of 10,000 plus a share of the balance.  Only in Thailand eh LOL.  Assuming of course nothing else changes.  So registering at well known, popular hospitals may also have been a mistake.  So, approx 12.7 billion baht paid for yet to arrive vaccines, from which the unlucky 1.8 million people will try to get their refunds.

Edited by SooKee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

If you have already paid for your Moderna shot, you just might be . . . a sucker.  If things worsen (do you think they will?), the government would be negligent if it didn't commandeer private stockpiles of vaccine during a pandemic.

Commandeer, You mean steal from people that paid for it?

• Like 1