Red Cross confirms 1 million Moderna jabs arriving Q4

Jonathan Fairfield

9 minutes ago, club said:

You mean steal from people that paid for it?

The Post says: "Not all people who have booked, and paid for, the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine from private hospitals will get all their shots since an allotment system will apply, according to the chairman of the Private Hospitals Association. Chalerm Harnphanich told Thai media late this week about the need for the allotment, which looks very much like a share subscription."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SooKee said:

From an article in the BP on Moderna allocation, private hospitals ordered a total of 7.7 million doses

I interpreted Dr. Chalerm's (BCH) comments as there was interest in up to 7.7 mm doses, and not that 7.7 mm doses have been paid for. I expressed an interest in ~ 20 doses, but only prepaid for two. But he also said demand was measured at 9.2 mm doses.

Most things are not as the appear here, so my interpretation could be wrong.

16 minutes ago, SooKee said:

So, approx 12.7 billion baht paid for

As above, not sure this is correct.

But his math in that article was quite convoluted. 

I feel like the mark in the 3 card monty game, with Dr. Chalerm as the dealer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

The Post says: "Not all people who have booked, and paid for, the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine from private hospitals will get all their shots since an allotment system will apply, according to the chairman of the Private Hospitals Association. Chalerm Harnphanich told Thai media late this week about the need for the allotment, which looks very much like a share subscription."

I go to the Hospital tomorrow to pay and will ask them that exact Question before I pay 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, club said:

I go to the Hospital tomorrow to pay and will ask them that exact Question before I pay 

You haven't paid.  The deal for us is we had to pay up front, 3,800.  No Refunds but you could give it somebody else.

Hopefully I don't have to leave it in my will at this rate.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

You haven't paid.  The deal for us is we had to pay up front, 3,800.  No Refunds but you could give it somebody else.

Hopefully I don't have to leave it in my will at this rate.

That's what they told us over the phone, no refunds but you can give to someone else if your not here when it arrives and I might not be

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrandPapillon said:

The world is not going to be fully vaccinated before the end of 2022

it is taking 9 to 12 months for the rich countries to be fully vaccinated,

there is currently 5 billion doses in production, we need 14 billions doses

this is just the beginning, and SE Asia will get the end of the deal like most poor countries, so 2022 is more likely the year when Thailand will start a full vaccination program

that means Thailand should expect about 150K deaths from covid in the next 12 to 18 months

like I said, this is just the beginning

Hope your wrong

yes it is nightmarish, but perfectly in line with other metrics we have in other countries, we have the insight now

if I was an expat in Thailand, aged above 60, I would start making plans to leave ASAP, because things are about to get really really ugly, and seeing how this government is so competent as "finding" great solutions, you can expect the best from them when the sh*t hits the fan :clap2:

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 2

Just now, placeholder said:

Thailand is hardly a poor country. According to the World Bank classification system, Thailand is an upper middle income nation. It can easily afford to purchase all the vaccines it needs. It need not depend on charity. It's the will that's been lacking, not the cash.

not poor in absolute economic conditions, but poor in economic and political influence, so they will get the only deal they are given

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Nice of them to poach it from the private sector.

Can't this government pay for anything besides Chinese <deleted>?

Maybe China is telling Thailand what vaccines it can buy and also what submarines it can buy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

yes it is nightmarish, but perfectly in line with other metrics we have in other countries, we have the insight now

if I was an expat in Thailand, aged above 60, I would start making plans to leave ASAP, because things are about to get really really ugly, and seeing how this government is so competent as "finding" great solutions, you can expect the best from them when the sh*t hits the fan :clap2:

Already made plans

Just now, GrandPapillon said:

not poor in absolute economic conditions, but poor in economic and political influence, so they will get the only deal they are given

What does that even mean? Is there some orchestrated Mafia like  system for distribution of antibiotics? There are several vendors now and we can expect a lot more shortly. Invoking fuzzy phrases like economic and political influence is just a way to justify an assertion without having to provide evidence.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

What does that even mean? Is there some orchestrated Mafia like  system for distribution of antibiotics? There are several vendors now and we can expect a lot more shortly. Invoking fuzzy phrases like economic and political influence is just a way to justify an assertion without having to provide evidence.

Didn't you read that article from the Asian Sentinel? certain labs don't want to deal with Thailand "bureaucracy" if you get my drift

plus they are currently at max production serving existing customers, that is the rich influential countries

since Thailand is not a rich "influential" country, they are not a priority for labs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still, glad to have at least two doses reserved and paid for.   I don't think there are even any places to register/pay for any Mrna jabs at the moment.   

Surely we'll need to use them eventually.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I interpreted Dr. Chalerm's (BCH) comments as there was interest in up to 7.7 mm doses, and not that 7.7 mm doses have been paid for. I expressed an interest in ~ 20 doses, but only prepaid for two. But he also said demand was measured at 9.2 mm doses.

Most things are not as the appear here, so my interpretation could be wrong.

As above, not sure this is correct.

But his math in that article was quite convoluted. 

I feel like the mark in the 3 card monty game, with Dr. Chalerm as the dealer.

Yeah, it's only guess work.  Not unreasonable to think that the private hospitials sought to acquire 7.7 million doses in total, the rest of the figures would then pan out.  It's also not unreasonable to believe that the hospitals that were serious about procurement took the payment for it in advance, I'm not sure how many hospitals would wish to order unless they had the money in the bank.   The way things work here we'll never know, too much smoke and mirrors.  All academic at the end of the day, people will either get their ticket from the lottery or won't.  The only issue for me is whether or not to give up a confirmed AZ appointment in favour of Moderna that you might not get, regardless of the figures or theories.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Nice of them to poach it from the private sector.

Can't this government pay for anything besides Chinese <deleted>?

I suspect the Chinese may also have more brown envelopes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

Didn't you read that article from the Asian Sentinel? certain labs don't want to deal with Thailand "bureaucracy" if you get my drift

plus they are currently at max production serving existing customers, that is the rich influential countries

since Thailand is not a rich "influential" country, they are not a priority for labs

But that article did not at all refer to Thailand being poor at all in any way as the reason Thailand isn't getting vaccines. There are other factors in play.

The fact is that the Thai government had no wish to buy other vaccines for reasons best not gone into here.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But that article did not at all refer to Thailand being poor at all in any way as the reason Thailand isn't getting vaccines. There are other factors in play.

The fact is that the Thai government had no wish to buy other vaccines for reasons best not gone into here.

Thailand is poor on the world stage, they have no economics and political influence, not sure why it's so hard to understand that basic fact.

Labs are serving "prime customers" at the moment, and Thailand is not one of them

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

No Refunds but you could give it somebody else.

You won't be able to give it to someone else if the Bangkok Post story is correct that "Not all people who have booked, and paid for, the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine from private hospitals will get all their shots since an allotment system will apply,"

In Thailand not getting a refund for something paid for and cannot be delivered causes fights.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

The world is not going to be fully vaccinated before the end of 2022

it is taking 9 to 12 months for the rich countries to be fully vaccinated,

there is currently 5 billion doses in production, we need 14 billions doses

this is just the beginning, and SE Asia will get the end of the deal like most poor countries, so 2022 is more likely the year when Thailand will start a full vaccination program

that means Thailand should expect about 150K deaths from covid in the next 12 to 18 months

like I said, this is just the beginning

They didn't order the vaccines.  Thats the problem.  They have or had plenty of money.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, club said:

That's what they told us over the phone, no refunds but you can give to someone else if your not here when it arrives and I might not be

You could do the Thai thing and sell it for 5 times the price you paid for it.

• Haha 1