Self isolating, but still have to run the gauntlet at Immigration.

giddyup

9 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Most lawyers in Thailand are authorized notaries so best to use them. In Pattaya visa agents are also notaries

My Bangkok Bank in Pattaya did mine for me. Bt200 as I remember.

55 minutes ago, giddyup said:

how many 80 year olds survive Covid with no major ill effects.

how many survive 80 years w/o any major ill effects?

one of our esteemed members [and i mean member in the nicest form] says there is no joy after age 70...

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

how many survive 80 years w/o any major ill effects?

one of our esteemed members [and i mean member in the nicest form] says there is no joy after age 70...

As somebody once said "getting old ain't for pussies".

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

It's not that hard.

Use the QueQ app to set up an appointment (takes like 2 minutes or less on your phone). 
Pick a mid-week date and mid-morning or afternoon time for the appointment to avoid the lines you see first thing in the morning and right after lunch. You show up at Immigration a few minutes before your appointment time and sit outside (on the chairs on the right side of the parking lot) until your number is called (or have the appointment opened on your phone and go in through the Exit door a couple of minutes before the appointed time and show it to the person at the front counter). (If you arrive early and try to enter well before your appointment time they may (or will) turn you away, depending on who is "guarding" the Exit door.)

(When I did my last extension, I didn't hear my number being called on the PA for some reason so I went through the Exit door and showed the appt on the app to the girl at the counter, she asked for my passport then gave me an queue number and I only had 1 person in front of me when I got to desk 8.)

Have all your paperwork in order before you go. Every frikken time I go there I see people showing up with little or no paperwork, then trying to get the IO to fill it all out for them, only to be sent off to make all the photocopies or get their bank book updated or whatever.
I'm usually done within 5 minutes of my number being called because I generally have everything already filled in, photocopied and signed before I leave the house.

Getting the bank letter and updating your bank book once a year is less risky than your frequent trips to the local 7-11 and grocery store.

Do everything right and you could be in/out of Immigration in 15 minutes (or less). Less time mingling with the unwashed masses of soap dodgers than you do when shopping at (wherever) or sitting in your favourite bar drinking coffee and watching "footie" matches.

And no, Immigration isn't about to suddenly decide to waive all Visa/Extension/90 Day report/(other matters) because a couple people think it's not safe. 
I'm surprised that hasn't been suggested yet, though I suspect a lot of people want (hope) they will and not because they are worried about covid.

Last year try as I might Jomtien was not using the booking system. Having read your post I tried QueQ and it worked. They are only booking for July so I will have to wait until Aug but many thanks for pointing this out????

I’m 77 but refuse to live in fear. Got my first jab, always wear a mask and am thoughtful about where I go. Not sure why going food shopping twice a month is that much different going to Immigration. As you say going to Immigration is a two step process. Just finished mine at Phuket. About 4 - 6 people in the queue - all socially distancing. Went into the office to see the IO separated by a plastic shield. In and done in 5 mins. Back the next day to get my passport. In and out in 2 min. You gotta live your life. Be smart. Be brave. Living in fear is not living at all.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Last year try as I might Jomtien was not using the booking system. Having read your post I tried QueQ and it worked. They are only booking for July so I will have to wait until Aug but many thanks for pointing this out????

Yeah, I think they only finally got it working later in the year (last year). I'd even done some "beta testing" of the app when it first came out (basically just installed it, tried to do some stuff then emailed the developers with the issues I noted and suggestions).

Didn't bother with it again for months as I generally go to Immigration first thing in the morning and I think the earliest I could book an appointment using the app was 09:00 (by which time I am normally already finished and back home).

However in May I was kind of banged up and hobbling on a foot the doctor told me I shouldn't be walking on so I wanted to limit the amount of time I'd end up standing in line normally.
Everything worked like a charm.

When I was first "testing" the app and wanted to do a retirement extension, it wanted me to upload pics of all the needed docs. I did all my paperwork up, scanned it and loaded the pics into my phone, then opened the app to make the appointment.
Only to find that they weren't asking for those docs anymore. (Good thing as that would have been a major security issue actually.)

It was nice when I got to Immigration and saw the line for the door was 3 rows deep and even the chairs under the tent were almost all filled. I sat for about 10 minutes then went to the Exit door and showed the app screen and was waved to the front counter (after a  quick temperature check). 

Still trying to figure out why it seems there are more people at Immigration every time I go there now than there used to be before the covid crisis when all the tourists were still coming here.

I used to go to Immigration on a Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday morning around 07:30 and there'd maybe be 2-3 people ahead of me. By the time they opened the doors, there'd maybe be a dozen people in line.

Now I go at the same time and there's 30+ people already there when I arrive and when the doors open the line is stretching back out to the street !

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

I went to pick up my passport yesterday as well as doing a 90 day report same time, and immigration was quite busy, this was around 2.30. There were 5 in front of me for the report, same as there were 5 before me when I did the extension. It's pretty much luck of the draw as to how busy it will be.

"luck of the draw" pretty well sums up most of what happens with immigration.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

There are exceptions to every rule, but it would be interesting to know how many 80 year olds survive Covid with no major ill effects. Same chances as a 30 year old? Me thinks not.

Of course the odds change, but it still is not a death notice. Don't buy all the stuff you hear and read. If you're already messed up, the odds are you'll have a hard time but with proper medical care, you may survive. Who's to say you won't?

47 minutes ago, nightbird said:

Of course the odds change, but it still is not a death notice. Don't buy all the stuff you hear and read. If you're already messed up, the odds are you'll have a hard time but with proper medical care, you may survive. Who's to say you won't?

So if I don't buy all the stuff I hear and read, where exactly am I going to find the truth? Not too many 80 year olds that don't have some kind of medical problems, or do we all die in perfect health?

36 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not too many 80 year olds that don't have some kind of medical problems, or do we all die in perfect health?

I think most of you old codgers die from being too ornery and cranky and always swinging a broom at the kids you chase off your lawn ! :crazy:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I think most of you old codgers die from being too ornery and cranky and always swinging a broom at the kids you chase off your lawn ! :crazy:

Wrong. we get pushed into an early death by young t***s calling us old codgers. Or was it, old farts?????????

11 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Wrong. we get pushed into an early death by young t***s calling us old codgers. Or was it, old farts?????????

Careful, those "old farts" may not be farts at all ! :unsure:
Got to be careful when you start getting up there in years ! :tongue:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

But statistics show that you are 100% certain to die.

And the leading cause of death ? Being born !

But most of us would like to avoid the certainty of death for as long as possible. Unless you are married of course and can't wait for the end to come !

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, giddyup said:

So if I don't buy all the stuff I hear and read, where exactly am I going to find the truth? Not too many 80 year olds that don't have some kind of medical problems, or do we all die in perfect health?

The truth in these circumstances is relative, not absolute. If your mental faculties are working and you have a bit of common sense, you can decide for yourself what is best for you. We all die and at 80, it is no longer a far away thought. We don't know when and how it will take place but we can't live in fear of it. We must learn to accept this and still continue to live our lives. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Getting old is for everyone if they are lucky.????

Life Expectancy Tables | AnnuityAdvantage

just statistics , but looks fine , some others are more specific with questions about your life habits and conditions or ancestor's age or sicknesses .

In one other say a strange but correct reasoning , claiming a baby by birth has to fight still all te hoops on his/her way , while the old fart has won battles  plenty already , and the older he or she is, the stronger person  being proven to be ????????

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

Life Expectancy Tables | AnnuityAdvantage

just statistics , but looks fine , some others are more specific with questions about your life habits and conditions or ancestor's age or sicknesses .

In one other say a strange but correct reasoning , claiming a baby by birth has to fight still all te hoops on his/her way , while the old fart has won battles  plenty already , and the older he or she is, the stronger person  being proven to be ????????

Absobloodylutely!????

18 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Old and sick, or bed ridden? Nothing lucky about that.

You sound like Mrs Mona Lot in ITMA, from the war years in the 40s. Before your time maybe? "it's being so cheerful that keeps me going." Come on. Give us a smile.????