100 years - any futurists out there?

On 7/18/2021 at 8:29 PM, mfd101 said:

Hard to be optimistic about the future.

H. sapiens spreading like a plague of locusts across the landscape, destroying everything as it goes. And still with all the same characteristics it's always had, notably greed & aggression.

The pesky useless eater problem is being managed as we speak.

On 7/18/2021 at 11:18 PM, tgw said:

hydrogen is the world's energy source, vehicles don't need to "fill" or "recharge", they just swap out standardized energy cells

polluted water is the world's worst problem, and it's polluted everywhere, but at different levels, causing diseases in poor countries and cancers in rich countries

global warming has not been stopped

many animal species disappeared, especially insects in Western countries, birds and fish

food is increasingly produced in highly automated hydroponic farms

standard of living in Western countries will have gone down a lot. only a minority will be able to afford a private dwelling

government control on individuals will be overwhelming, private liberties will be cut back by a lot, cash currency will disappear

a brain-machine interface performant enough to use a computer as we do now with keyboard and mouse will have been developed

land vehicles and airplanes can operate fully automated in standard conditions

You're forecasting 2030.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sharksy said:

I'm not predicting the future, but I do find this website https://www.futuretimeline.net/  interesting and take a peep occasionally.

new set of crises would emerge in the 2020s. Climate change was beginning to have a significant impact on worldwide commodities – in particular, food and water supplies. In the Middle East, Africa and elsewhere, growing instability led to a number of resource wars. Perversely, the hunt for fossil fuels continued, with even the Arctic becoming a political and economic battleground as nations sought to claim the last remaining deposits. 

Where ever you are you will be able to beam into Thailand

in seconds, but the visa will cost 4 Dystopians, or in old money, £1million.

Change currency on arrival for Thai Bribestang Hologram cash and

grab a nice hologram automatic gender neutral partner, then print

out a beer from your mind.    Perfect.

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

We elect politicians to deal with it. That's the problem.

IMO the problem is that politicians don't solve problems. IMO they create more problems.

I can't think of anything they have done that made my life better, though I can think of many things they have done that made my life worse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Where ever you are you will be able to beam into Thailand

in seconds, but the visa will cost 4 Dystopians, or in old money, £1million.

Change currency on arrival for Thai Bribestang Hologram cash and

grab a nice hologram automatic gender neutral partner, then print

out a beer from your mind.    Perfect.

More likely, IMO, will be a better virtual reality that allows us to "travel" to other countries from the safety of our homes. Interactive and complete sensory input ie smell, temperature, audio etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO the problem is that politicians don't solve problems. IMO they create more problems.

I can't think of anything they have done that made my life better, though I can think of many things they have done that made my life worse.

No decisions. Would you prefer a government that does nothing - no public transport, roads, health care, schools, protection of forests, support payments, trade deals. Just each to their own. I bet you benefit from more decisions than you lose from - particularly in New Zealand.  

21 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

No decisions. Would you prefer a government that does nothing - no public transport, roads, health care, schools, protection of forests, support payments, trade deals. Just each to their own. I bet you benefit from more decisions than you lose from - particularly in New Zealand.  

Bureaucrats actually run countries, NOT politicians, so all those things would happen anyway.

You apparently know little about NZ and what has happened/ is happening here. Ask a farmer if they are happy with the job the government is doing.

13 hours ago, rickudon said:

Life will be ruled by government regulations - they will control your money, where you can live and what you can legally do. Flying will be a luxury. So will private car ownership. We will all live closer to where we work.

If government regulates accommodation many in NZ might be better off, as some were living in cars before corona made the government rent motels for them. Indeed, I might be better off too.

As long as they give me enough money to live on I won't be any worse off.

Mass cheap air travel has done much to destroy some countries since the 70s, IMO. LOS used to be brilliant before mass cheap air travel IMO. I would welcome the end of cheap flights, and return to what it was in the 70s.

IMO no private cars in cities is essential to save cities from destruction. Traffic is out of control, and is actually making life worse.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 9:49 AM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

and some tough decisions made about how to balance freedom of the people with safety of the people. 

Ah, the Chinese model then? Government knows best.

Not for me, or anyone I know. Sadly though, a lot of sheeple around.

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah, the Chinese model then? Government knows best.

Not for me, or anyone I know. Sadly though, a lot of sheeple around.

The reality is cameras and controls and such are active  in many countries but by far worst in China where, on the one hand you have people of certain faiths locked up, and on the other hand each person is rated as to if they are a good citizen - down to how much alcohol they buy. Horrifying. 1984. That's my point and  it is hoped tough decisions are made to curb those controls. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

The reality is cameras and controls and such are active  in many countries but by far worst in China where, on the one hand you have people of certain faiths locked up, and on the other hand each person is rated as to if they are a good citizen - down to how much alcohol they buy. Horrifying. 1984. That's my point and  it is hoped tough decisions are made to curb those controls. 

IMO the bad guys and the sheeple are winning, at the moment.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 8:23 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Doomed.

20 billion population living a miserable life feeding from some "synthetic" food.

Movie suggestion: Soylent Green.

It was produced in 1973 and forecast a dark future in 2022(!) with New York as a role model.

Sure it was a bit too early with the prediction but we are on the way.

Good movie, which has impressed many people : 100 years ? impossible to say; I think many pollution problems will be resolved, biggest problems will be surpopulation , many old people and global warmimg : as said above, we are now in our "old good days " 

I don't believe in founding colonies on Mars, Earth is our only house, let's  protect it !

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

biggest problems will be surpopulation , many old people and global warmimg

Where there first one has almost vanished from the media as seemingly no one has an idea to stop that.

I remember that some study showed how much an additional human will mean in CO2 amount. What an outcry this caused!

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

I don't believe in founding colonies on Mars,

A rocky desert without usable atmosphere and extreme temperature swings.

But Elon will work it out.

We are not able to keep nature/atmosphere under control on our planet.

So let's try another one.

Laughable.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2021 at 8:23 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Movie suggestion: Soylent Green.

It was produced in 1973 and forecast a dark future

Wasn't there a wonderful scene where an older fellow was being euthanized in a beautiful comfortable setting... very compassionate?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Wasn't there a wonderful scene where an older fellow was being euthanized in a beautiful comfortable setting... very compassionate?

Yes. They encouraged people to be euthanized  by providing an environment that was actually pleasant, in comparison to the <deleted> they actually lived in.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

If they had hurried up and made some decent sex dolls, none of us would have left in the first place.

Those clever Japanese are well on the way to doing so. They are just waiting for robotics to invent a human sized machine to make the existing sex dolls work without rebelling and killing us all.

Sadly I think I'll be dead before they become available, if womankind don't ban them first.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 9:53 PM, Dmaxdan said:

And most of us expats will still be waiting for our first vaccine shot.

And wondering how much tea money we’ll have to pay for missing all those 90 day reports, all 399 of them.