BBC report Thai Covid crisis latest - who's going to visit Thailand after reading that?

webfact

8 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

don't worry, the UK will be introducing another variant to the world shortly, and with their open skies policy  it will be in a your neighborhood in two shakes of a lambs tail..

What do you mean the "open sky policy" ?

6 hours ago, smedly said:

what are the odds the BBC will now be banned in Thailand - that is the usual response when foreign media tell the truth 

Look....I think the only real person to ask about that is Steve100. He will give us a reasoned response. You see....farang don't see 'the truth' like....shall we say some  'more enlightened' members here. Me, I look forward with much eager anticipation to his response. 

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Almost as bad as the numbers in the vaccinated UK.

Current daily average UK new infections 37k

Cases in the UK | Coronavirus in the UK (data.gov.uk)

Thats a lot!

There fully opening up today also.

At least they've vaccinated a higher percentage of there population with better vaccines.  

It's going to be an interesting test in any event.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, the UK is ahead in medical terms but way behind in how they dealt with this pandemic.

Anyone that thinks the UK govt did better than the Thai one needs some serious attitude adjustment.

Coming to live in a developing country and attacking the government for not having the same standards as your own is totally screwed up, especially when Thailand has done better. 

You are of course absolutely correct - one should not compare the two.

So why did you then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

No its  common sense that the vast majority will be ok after contracting covid, doesnt  lessen the  fact people  have died but the vast majority have not.

I’d suggest less common sense, more sheer good luck that all the current variants have a relatively low death rate compared to say, Ebola. 

Please look deeper than the headline mortality rate … for example, the ‘opportunity cost’ of the massive resources being expended on prevention and treatment of morbid cases due to Covid  … elective surgery and non-Covid vaccination rates plummeting and even ER availability compromised in lots of places, routine cancer and cardiac screening put on hold etc etc.

Want to minimise or pay lip-service to  Covid? Go ahead, nobody can stop you … but please think very carefully before you do.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BananaGuy said:

Utterly deeply stupid and selfish analysis … so sad to see that kind of stuff get upvotes.

Your experience, mine, your mother’s are all totally irrelevant when working out ‘what to worry about’.

Like saying smoking not harmful because old Joe around the corner smoked a pack a day and lived to 90.

By all means look at aggregate death/morbidity rates across population, compare Covid with other diseases, try and work out economic cost to a country of this or that strategy … whatever.

But trotting out personal anecdotes like that? meaningless and potentially harmful … someone hesitant may now decide not to get jab or defer it. That person may be one of the small minority it will save their life or health.

Over and above that … how do you know ‘your’ 5 people had Covid with zero symptoms? They all get tested? Why did they all get tested if they had no symptoms? Did they isolate after testing positive?

Even your anecdotes smell fishy.

Yes, they all got tested as my they were in contact with my Aunt, who got tested as she was in contact with someone who had symptoms. 

I feel it's better sharing my personal experience that what I think. 

I feel I am balancing the hysteria of 'we need a vaccine at all costs guys". 

In Scotland they even lie about the number of people dying from Covid. Look at the following which shows the official deaths. 

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/vital-events/general-publications/weekly-and-monthly-data-on-births-and-deaths/monthly-data-on-births-and-deaths-registered-in-scotland?fbclid=IwAR0fCLFqMCwkuZR843hSa_MUvGjhq0dFioMHAfljaQUFwDiKin_Luo8J61k

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

Ah local pedant speaking: “bigging” is not a word! It’s made up, ignorance derived, tense confused, made up nonsense. Please can we refrain from writing and posting American b……disation of the English language. As for the article the death rate recent past and current in Thailand is, per capita, a drop in the ocean compared to the UKs numbers. Hmm … me thinks of the Biblical quotation about glass houses.

No, it's informal British English....

big
/biɡ/

verb
INFORMALBRITISH
gerund or present participle: bigging
  1. praise or recommend something highly.
    "the record's been on the streets a while now, but it's still worth bigging up"

Edited by rbkk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

I am 5 yesrs younger than you and generally healthy, I had a similar experience to you when I visited BKK FEB 2019, I used public transport for the whole day - when I returned I did experience what I would describe as a mild flu - never got tested but would like an antibody test to see if I have actually been infected before - very hard to find for some reason

but thanks for sharing your experience  

FEB was before Covid was invented.

wooooowww what a confusing article....and look at that policeman with the machine gun ready to shoot any zombie who leaves  the infected area....and i just came here on the sandbox few days ago...what happaned,?  what is going on? mommy i want to come back home!!!

i got headech and dizzy after reading this....i am running now to 7-11 to drink all i can until 9PM when the

alcohol ban starts !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Look....I think the only real person to ask about that is Steve100. He will give us a reasoned response. You see....farang don't see 'the truth' like....shall we say some  'more enlightened' members here. Me, I look forward with much eager anticipation to his response. 

Never heard of him. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i got headech and dizzy after reading this....i am running now to 7-11 to drink all i can until 9PM when the

alcohol ban starts !!

I used to take it from the fridge, drink it then pay for it, they can't say much. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

"characterized by infighting and conflicting statements "

This is only part of what is happening though ...

• still not told if mRNA vaccines have been ordered yet (only been told talks are happening)
  • never any information or investigation on the local AstraZenica production problems
  • what is happening with the 1.5 million vaccine doses donated by the US
  • what was done with the $68 million donated by Australia
  • why is more Sinovac ordered

Plus the 1.05m AstraZaneca shots donated by Japan. I received a 2bd Sinovac jab contrary to all government advice at Phayathai 2 today. And as an aside, there was absolutely no sign of any road blocks/checks between Pattaya and Bangkok. Phayathai 2 was packed with mostly Chinese on floor 9. Presumably getting a free batch of Sinovac from China. My mate got his first shot of AstraZaneca on the 8th floor today.

Complete stitch up.

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Who knows how many old people died of this in Thailand. It's not like they test them to find out...

What evidence do you have for that assertion?   If they are not tested how come the number of Covid deaths are reported as increasing?   If tests were not being done, reported deaths wouldn't be increasing.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Neer,

here is the problem with your thinking about thailand is doing great b/c they have only 3,000 deaths…

it’s now understandable why thailand had the strict lockdown (close to a year?) at the beginning - knowing it has no ability of managing the virus lacking competent decision making, resources, infrastructure and worst of all - vaccine obtainment..

thailand was doing fine by keeping people out (except for some porous borders)….but they rolled the dice on thinking they could be a big regional player by doing  in house vaccines production - something they have zero experience and zero expertise in….

had they just bought the vaccine through negotiations with a sense of urgency and an aggressive timeline in vaccinating its people…it was all a smokescreen driven by profit dreams…

still today, they have no detailed rollout plan…all the matters is securing the vaccine and distributing  the vaccine to meet vaccination goals….instead they talked of lotfy goals of Oct 1st and island openings when their resident people are still unvaccinated…

the complete joke of a vaccination rollout will cost lives. 3,000 today but soon it will 5,000 then 10,000 with no end in sight…

the country had the money to buy the vaccine six months ago and treat this issue like a public health one….all resources into getting shots in arms ASAP…instead they marketed these bogus registration programs knowing they did not equate to vaccine supplies or shots in arms. It was a con job…

instead they focused on island sandboxes and vaccine production for profit…to hell with their local population…you offer us no value..

how is the economy doing?

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Exactly,there's a lot of people worrying about nothing. My mother, who is 80 soon, had it with NO symptoms, as did 4 other relatives over 80. 

And yet about 1/3rd who had covid are now suffering long term effects. Hardly worrying about nothing. Not to mention the millions who've already died from it.

• Like 2